Homemade Egg Rolls (Repost)

Homemade Egg Rolls

While the photos for this post are pulled from my Xanga archives, Egg Rolls were made in my home today.  I thought you'd like to see how it's done and share in my recipe for these tasty treats.

In the above photo you see many of the ingredients: slaw mix, onion, garlic, ginger root (on the cutting board in the foreground) soy sauce and egg roll wrappers.  Today I also included some frozen chopped oriental vegetables and red and yellow bell peppers that I'd diced. 



Cook slaw mix, vegetables, garlic and ginger over low heat until tender.  I don't add water but do add about 1 tbsp olive oil and then clamp on the lid and steam cook. When tender add about 2 tbsps soy sauce. Allow to cool.

Separate egg roll wrappers and lay about 2-3 tbsps of cabbage mix on the diagonal of the wrapper.
Roll the first corner up over the vegetable mix, then tuck in the corners like this:
and continue to roll away from you until you have a neat little packet.
Place on a greased cookie sheet and brush with oil.  Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes until lightly browned and crisp.  The end photo here shows a batch I made without the oil and baked on parchment.  They were good, but the ones brushed with oil have less tendency to break open and have a light crisp texture. 

1 bag of slaw mix generally will make about 20 egg rolls.  These freeze well after baking and may be reheated in the microwave for 1-2 minutes depending on the wattage of your microwave.

3 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Yay!! Thank you!

terricheney said...

LOl You are welcome!

Unknown said...

These look delish! I am going to try making them this weekend with rice paper wraps since I can't have gluten. Love your frugal ways!