Menu Monday: Week Two of Pantry Freezer Challenge



I don't know about you all, but we had a GREAT holiday weekend...and I couldn't help but think in the midst of all the good things that next year will be even better because we'll have grandbabies toddling about to seek eggs.  I can't wait!

This week meal planning presents a bit of a challenge.  Because the Feast of Unleavened Bread falls into John's work week, I have had to figure out lunches that didn't require the sandwich meals he mostly prefers.  I can't blame him.  A grab and go meal is easier to eat when you may have to leave for a call mid-bite.  So I have that expediency to also figure in for lunches.  This week I decided my best bet was to plan dinners that transition well to work lunches.  I think I've done a fairly good job of it and I will be using things on hand already to make most of them.

I did put four items on my shopping list for this week to purchase and use right away.  #1 Nathan's Hot Dogs.  They are on sale and I'll buy extra to stock up.   Half a pack is all that we need to serve us both.  You'll see how I manage to make them work well as a pack and go lunch.  #2  Tortillas: A bread substitute for John's sandwiches.  I'll make wraps with them for him.  #3 Lettuce- I just plain out forgot lettuce last week when we were shopping.  I can't imagine why.  It's always on my list, sigh.  #4 Won Ton Wrappers: These have been on my list for weeks and I keep forgetting to check in the produce department for them.  I wanted to use some of the excess cabbage I have on hand to make egg rolls for the freezer and I've longed to try to make those crispy Napoleons and Springtime and berry season have rolled around...

You'll notice I'm not assigning days to this week's menus and for good reason.  John bought dinner when we ran into town for mower gasoline and pet foods today.  Mama is buying lunch for us tomorrow and Wednesday I'll be taking her to the doctor...I'll need to work on some of these meals this afternoon to 'work ahead' for John's lunchbox.  Depending on how the days go, I might end up serving some of these as my supper on these busy days ahead.



Tuna Pasta Salad, Crackers, Cream of Tomato Soup, Carrot Cake Cupcakes
One of my family's favorite warm weather dishes is this Tuna Pasta salad.  I use whatever I have on hand to put in it and don't always serve soup alongside but I think it's a nice addition all the same.  I've had such a longing for carrot cake!  I hate to make a whole cake, because it's just too much for us, but it finally occurred to me today that I could make cupcakes and freeze the extras to frost later.  Oh yes, I CAN do that! 

Chicken Fried Rice, Egg Roll, Ambrosia
I have some diced chicken and leftover rice in the freezer from  previous meals that I'll use in this dish.  Shredded cabbage and other items in the freezer and fridge for egg rolls and frozen orange segments for the ambrosia.  I could skip the egg rolls but it's a nice touch and adds further vegetables to our meal, so I'll likely wait until I  can purchase the wonton wrappers to make this meal.

Corn Dogs, Coleslaw, Corn, Mini Berry Crisps
If I make up a mix of pancake mix and cornmeal I should have a nice batter for corn dogs.  John can reheat the corn dogs in the microwave at work.  All else is on hand.  I shall make small berry crisps with frozen berries.

Vietnamese Style Beef Salad, Egg Rolls, Grilled Pineapple Sundaes
I chose this dish to use up a bit of leftover steak from this past weekend.  I think I can make a tasty wrap for John's lunchbox while I'll eat my portion as salad.  Canned Pineapple for the sundaes. 

Chicken Salad Plates, Creamy Asparagus Soup, Tiny Biscuits, Strawberry Napoleons
I know that John likes a chicken salad plate now and then and it is a good meal for supper or lunch.  There are two breasts in each packet of chicken and I'll use one for this salad and save the other to use in another meal.  Soup is in the freezer, as are berries for the dessert.  I'll make up a batch of biscuit dough for another meal but make some tea sized biscuits as a  treat to go with our salads.

Beef and Potato Cornish Pasties,  Tomato salad, Apples
I haven't made this recipe in a while but it is a good choice for a lunch box as well.  I try not to make the pasties large, although the originals were quite large and heavy.

Parmesan Chicken Pasta, Green Salad, Biscuits, Carrot Cupcakes
I almost didn't include this new recipe in my lineup this week, but I have a bit of broccoli that needs to be used up and this dish calls for broccoli.  Perfect.  No waste for my week ahead and a dish that John can reheat in the microwave or eat cold as a salad if he chooses.
 

       

2 comments:

Shirley in Washington said...

All your menu ideas sound delicious! And as someone who spent Easter with 2 little granddaughters, and various nieces and nephews, hunting for eggs, FUN! Shirley

Rhonda said...

yes, by next year, those 3 grands that moving nearby will be the perfect age to start egg hunting. G and E had just the best time with plastic eggs.

I also like your no waste plan.