In My Home This Week: The Lists Go On


Can you believe it?  September is nearly over!  I have never been so surprised to see a month pass as this one.  I am sure the amount of tasks accomplished is the reason why it seems to me the month has flown.  I have been too busy to stop and think about time passing and I'm glad.  It's been one very  productive month and many tasks that were postponed for months (or years!) have been attended to or at least I have a good hard start on them.  My list is growing.  I've asked John to purchase a ladder (long needed and long put off) so we can take down the shutters on the house and paint them fresh.  I mean to replace the screening in the windows as well.  There are things to paint, things to plant, things to wash down.  And that's just outdoors.  I have a list of projects for indoors, too!

Then there are lists of pantry needs, and inventory lists and brainstorming lists for savings, earnings, etc.  Oh honey, I got lists!  Now to start tackling the items on them.  Lists are a wonderful thing...as long you actually start to use the ideas on them!

Let's start a list of good things to eat this week.  I've strayed a little on my eating plan.  Still losing weight and all that but I need to tweak my actual eating just a little.  I need more fiber for one thing.  Temptation indulgences must come in 100 calorie packets in this house, or healthy homemade, low sugar treats.  Not to mention that penchant for working right up until meal time on my alone days and having nothing ready to eat.  It's a problem.  I need some convenience meals and some ready to eat snacks on hand for myself.  I need to plan my own meals for those days I'm alone and there are no leftovers on hand.  I should have salads made ahead...  I've made out a list of remedies for that, too.  I tell you I am list making woman this weekend!


Breakfasts:  1 carbohydrate choice, 1 protein choice, 1 fruit and 1 serving milk...that's the plan
Oatmeal (mine has egg in it) with blueberries, Milk
Sausage and Egg Muffins, Toast, Baked Apple half, Milk
Bran Cereal with Apple and walnuts, Yogurt
Cheese Omelet with Grape Tomatoes, Toast
Fried Eggs and Toast x
Bagel, Cream Cheese, Fruit Cup

Dinners: 1 protein, 1 carbohydrate, up to 3cups very low carbohydrate vegetables, 1 bread, 1 fruit, 1 milk
 Vegetable Beef Soup,  Pineapple Salad, Cornbread, Molten Lava Cake, Milk

Creamed Hamburger, Toast, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Pear Salad

Lemon Pepper Chicken, Steamed Broccoli, Glazed Carrots, Tossed Salad w/croutons, Poached Pears with Ginger and Lemon

Chili, Cornbread, Crisp Green Salad, Banana Pudding

Polska Kielbasa, Sauerkraut, Steamed Red Potatoes,  Caramelized Onions, Rye Bread, Pear Crumble

dinner out with Mama

Mac and Cheese, Pan Roasted Vegetables, Green Salad, Clementines

Suppers:  for me this works best as 1 protein, 1 carbohydrate, 1 fruit.  I like to leave room for a small protein granola bar or peanut butter crackers with my last serving of milk at night.  

Leftover Soup, PBJ, Grapes
Turkey Sandwich, Carrot and Celery Sticks with Ranch dressing, Clementine
Toasted Cheese Sandwich, Apple half
Turkey Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Sandwich, Pear half
Hot Dog in Bun, Coleslaw, half Banana
Pimento Cheese sandwich, Clementine
Pizza Slice, Salad, Grapes

Jobs This Week


I got a lot of work done last week, despite being away from home a good part of two days.  Most of the front porch painting is done.  Damp autumn weather didn't allow me to complete it last week. 

Clean and repaint front door.

Finish front porch floor.* not finished but I checked weekly forecast.  It's a good chance of rain all week long...Might as well just remove it for now.

Continue to clean railings, siding of house.

Plant mums, dusty miller, kale and daffodil bulbs.*rain, re-schedule

Move some rocks to border the small flower bed between the sheds.

Declutter craft area.

Clean out the right side of the chiffarobe.

Organize and dust books.

Lab work.

Bills, groceries, errands.

5 comments:

Sparkiedoll said...

'Creamed hamburger' Never heard of such a thing! Thank goodness for Google. I think your 'hamburger' is our 'mince'. Minced Beef. I've never heard of it being 'creamed' in the UK but I might give it a try.I googled a recipe. I am so interested in your menu's. When you eat out I've been known to Google the restaurant to look at the menu.
I'm not stalking, honestly! Just very interested in Southern USA food and recipes. Ha Ha.
My dietary restriction is fibre. I have to have a very low fibre/residue diet. Weird eh? and 1.5 litres of oral fluid a day.
I am a bit ashamed how little I've got done this week..you've done so much.
Inspired as always. Rose in the UK x

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Terri, you have accomplished a lot this week.. And you have a big upcoming week.. Wish you the best..
Your meals look fantastic..
We have been re-doing an older house, we are planning on moving in, when our house sells.[downsizing]
So lots of painting/decorating going on here too.ha
Have a blessed week.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I thought that September has gone by unusually fast, too. You are getting so much done.

I had never thought about mixing an egg in with oatmeal. Sounds like a good idea. I had been eating oatmeal for breakfast lately, but it was seeming like it set my appetite alarm off and I was hungrier an hour after I ate it than I was before I ate it. I started adding a couple of spoons of low fat small curd cottage cheese to mine before cooking it. The cottage cheese blends in really well, the curds have similar, but smoother texture than the oats. I believe it is the protein in the cottage cheese that seems to help with the problem of oatmeal making me hungry. Since adding the cottage cheese I am easily able to hold out until lunch time before eating again.

Your menu plans always give me some good ideas about what to cook.

May you have a wonderful autumn week.

Susie Donahue

Lana said...

I completely agree about September! It just got started and now it is over! Painting the shutters and front door here made our house look fresh and new and it was so easy and inexpensive for a face lift.

It is so wet here in the upstate of SC! I started raining Thursday afternoon and has not stopped. It is in the forecast for 80-100% chance for the next two days. I am glad we had indoor projects to do and can get them done and get moved back into the rooms. Our master bedroom turned out so nice and I really wish we had done this sooner rather than live with that wallpaper for 21 years. Live and learn!

We call creamed hamburger Hamburger Gravy here and it is a family favorite. It was always a good way to stretch a pound of hamburger to feed 7 when the kids were all home. They all still love to have it when they are home. I make mine by browning the meat, drain, add flour and brown the flour and then stir in water and s&p and cook and stir until thick and bubbly. How do you make yours?

While painting was getting done on Saturday I was in the kitchen doing a big batch of chili and a big batch of meat sauce for the freezer. While putting that away we took out all the freezer meals and made an inventory. This week we will be eating some things that had gotten to the bottom of the stacks so little cooking for me. Friday night we made a trip to Aldi so we are all set for the week and I am glad I do not have to get groceries in this unrelenting rain. Hubby bought me a bunch of pale pink roses while we were there so I have a bit of sunshine in the house for these dark cloudy days.

Have a good week everyone!

Karla said...

Oh I so understand Susie's comment above about being so hungry after oatmeal. I absolutely love eating oatmeal for breakfast but oh my how hungry I get so very quickly! I'll have to try the egg or the cottage cheese. Try being the key word. Not sure how I feel about those additions. LOL

I feel like I blinked and September has gone and I didn't get a thing done.

Can I just say, as a pseudo-Southern girl who is a proud Okie (Oklahoma) so I'm not really sure what cultural group I belong to, I just love that you used the word chiffarobe. :) Made me smile today.

Tonight will be a busy to-do list for me. Supper will be easy - veggie burgers on flat bread buns and sweet potato waffle fries from the oven. Tomorrow is Dip Day at work (we all bring Dips to munch on throughout the day when the boss is out of town) so I'll be prepping those to take in the morning. I'm making Roasted Red Pepper Dip and Spinach Artichoke Dip. Then I have a few items to iron that I've been putting off and the small pile of 4 items includes 3 items I want to wear this week so I'd better get that done. Lastly I'll get the dishes done (can you "hear" the enthusiasm about that one?). I added these items to my calendar app on my phone so I'll remember everything I have to do tonight and wouldn't you know my subconscious rebelled because I reviewed the list before clicking OK and there was the item "Watch Dishes". I'd love to just watch them but then they'd never get cleaned since I am clearly the only one in my home capable of washing them. Ha ha.

Carry on sweet Terri! Your menu looks inviting and cozy this week. The creamed hamburger I haven't had in YEARS!!! Sounds tasty.