This Week In My Home: Falling into a New Season


I feel nothing much at all was accomplished at home last week, yet when I checked last week's list I find I did all but paint the front porch.   I was out running errands on the nicest of days, of course.  And we're slated rain again.  Never mind.  That porch will eventually be painted!  Nothing ever goes completely undone when I set my mind to getting it accomplished.

I have made more project plans.  I think I shall be busy for the rest of this year and likely into next.  I may not finish all I hope to accomplish but I'll do what I can as time and money and ability allow.  That's the best way to approach all things.  At least get a start on tasks and do what might be done.

It's the same way with the pantry.  I noted yesterday that I have no whole wheat spaghetti on hand at all.  And then I looked hard at the shelves.  There's one whole shelf that might be dedicated to food that isn't, I've no idea why I've used it for other storage.  There is a portion of the top shelf that should be cleared of non-food items.  I need to seriously look at filling gaps and building up stock.  It was neglected these last few months as I've recuperated and now it's time to concentrate on it once again.  I like to face winter with a full pantry. I  guess homemaking days of my childhood kick in.  I remember Mama's pantry and Granny's shelves filled with jars of jellies, soup and green beans and tomatoes and such.  I kind of want to see the same in my own pantry.



Meals this week shall be nice to plan.  The intense heat is gone and while warmer temperatures will be here, the mornings are cool and lovely.  Certainly time to start incorporating the heartier meals I enjoy most.

breakfasts:  Whole Wheat Biscuits, Turkey Sausage, Applesauce
                      Scrambled Eggs with Cream Cheese and Chives, Toast, Clementines
                      Ginger Pear Muffins, Cheese Cubes
                      Grits with Sausage Scrambled Eggs, Apple Slices
                      Apple Walnut and Bran Parfaits
                      Fried Eggs and Toast x 2

Dinners:  Poor Man's Lasagna, Italian Green Beans, Green Salad, Easy Tiramisu
I had leftover spaghetti sauce...and leftover spaghetti squash so both will appear this week in my menu.  I'm using whole wheat bow tie pasta in my spaghetti pie here.  I got this recipe from Dawn and often use up leftover spaghetti sauce in this way.  I tried to find the recipe on her site but it didn't come up in a search.  This has a pasta base, with cottage cheese then a layer of sauce and cheese tops it.  It is so good.  I'll keep searching for the link and insert it.  There are loads of recipes online.  Some add in cream cheese and some have sour cream, so there's plenty of variations to consider.  I expect to put half into the freezer for a future meal by the way.

Cheesy Chili Spaghetti Squash Casserole, Tossed Salad, Corn Muffins
http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/12/cheesy-chili-spaghetti-squash-casserole-low-carb-gluten-free.html     I won't serve this right behind the poor man's lasagna but at a different time.  I'll half this recipe as it is written.  I suspect I'll still have enough to put enough for a second meal in the freezer from this one too.

Roasted Cider Chicken with Root Vegetables and Apples, Steamed Brussels Sprouts
I sometimes do this dish in the Fall.  This past week we celebrated Rosh Hashanah and I made this dish then.  It's so good, it's worth repeating.  I place my salt and pepper seasoned chicken pieces in a casserole then add diced onions, carrots, red potatoes and a nice sharp apple  (Granny Smith is a good one, as is Honey Crisp or Macoun).  Splash over a bit of apple cider, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 cup.  Sprinkle with minced garlic and paprika.

Salmon Patties, Corn with Red Peppers, Coleslaw
This is for me on one of John's workdays.  John doesn't care for fish.  I have a small can, 4 ounces, and that makes one patty for me.  The doctor suggested I try to eat fish, salmon or tuna twice each week.

Polska Kielbasa, German Potatoes, Steamed Cabbage
I might have chosen to have some other greens but I do like cabbage, it's easy, inexpensive and we like it.  I always try to use the dark green outer leaves as well as the more tender inner parts.  German potatoes are what my Daddy called them, but they are just sliced potatoes fried with onions.  I find that browning the potatoes and onions then covering the pan and lowering the heat, allows the potatoes to steam a bit and soften without compromising all that good flavor.  I like to put the Kielbasa atop the potatoes when I am ready to cover the pan.  A little water can be added, just 3 tbsp or so.   This meal has the advantage of being a quick one to prep and cook, dinner can be on the table in half an hour.

Vegetable Beef Soup, Corn Bread, Molten Lava Cakes
I planned this menu for a friend's visit.  I'm likely going to go ahead and make it anyway, because it just plain sounds good to me and I always have leftovers of soup which I can freeze and then heat in the crock pot when she visits me next week.

out on my own


Jobs This Week


Fall clean my bedroom.  Judging by the dust that rolled off the bookshelf in my bedroom on Saturday, I determined that today would be my day to deep clean that room.  I will use the attachments on the vacuum to get under the furniture and will remove the books from the bookshelves and dust well.  It's a good time too to polish furniture and figure out what I'll do for pillow shams for the season.  

Pick up the back porch and remove what doesn't belong.

Clean up the guest room.

Gather items to use for fall decorating.  My idea this year is to be more neutral browns, creams and softer autumn colors.

Doctor's appointment.  If weather is pleasant I'll try to get some shopping in at Goodwill/thrift stores in that area.

Plan what items I want to stock for the pantry.

Plan my shopping at the meat market.

And if weather allows:  start painting front porch floor.

5 comments:

Vickie @Vickie's Kitchen and Garden said...

I have a few projects like your front porch...I will get to them soon I hope. Your menu sounds wonderful! Have a great Sunday.

Becky L said...

I always enjoy reading about your projects. It inspires me to get started now, with what I have and can do! I need to be reminded of that sometimes. :)

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Menu sounds wonderful..
I have to paint the porch floors too.. Hope to get started this week.. But, Monday is grocery shopping day..
Have a blessed week. Judy

Lana said...

I feel like I am on hold until walls get painted upstairs and we can go back home to our own bedroom. It will be worth it but right now I don't even know what I should be doing for daily chores that are automatic to me. This too will get sorted out.

We ate the leftovers in the fridge yesterday so we can start fresh for the week. Menus are planned and I am keeping an eye on the produce supply. I don't go to Aldi until we are truly in need of produce to keep from wasting it. Lettuce that I planted in August is about ready for harvest so that will supplement what I have on hand.

Have a good week!

Unknown said...

I just want to thank you for reminding me the peace I get from morning prayers. My religion does not stress the reading but we use the New Testament for our Sunday Masses. I have been going through a rough patch dealing with a progressive disease & chronic pain. Since I went back to my morning prayers I am much more at peace & acceptance.Thank You, Colleen