In My Home This Week: A New Season In My Home


What a lovely last holiday of summer we've had.  I'll tell all in an upcoming coffee chat, but in the meantime there's meals to plan and homemaking to do and all the usual stuff to tend to.  It's not a hard life that is truth, but it can be a busy one.  I've not gotten one thing done in my kitchen to cull the things there, but I'll be starting it this week as I've no real plans to go anywhere nor anything much outside the house to tend to.

Meals...I though perhaps, since we were having company over this holiday weekend that I might just run to the grocery and pick up 'just a few things.'  Well, in the end, I reasoned myself out of it and said, "No, I think I'll make do with what I have."  In the end, I made do and it all worked just fine.


We've had some elaborate breakfasts over this weekend.  My son in law made a huge meal for us all yesterday morning.  My husband cooked a big meal for us this morning.  I made chicken rice soup, with leftovers enough I'll send a goodly portion home with my son and daughter in law.  They'll have a ready to eat meal when they arrive home tomorrow and not need to order out nor cook.



As I write at the moment, the youngest grandson is asleep and his parents are out doing things on their own.  My little fellow is worn out with two days of long car rides under him and another before him tomorrow, bless him.   It's really too short a time for such a long journey here and back, but for now it is what it is and must be.

Katie made a meal for us at lunchtime that was just wonderful.  I really enjoyed it and she couldn't have done a better job as far as I was concerned.  I'll start with the meal she made, which I'll fill out just a wee bit in my own way and then I'll share the meal I'm making this evening for the last day of company.  And then we'll just see where the week is going to take us.  I'm starting to run low on meats but I've enough I think to make it until end of September at the least.  That means we'll have gone 4 or 5 months since our last bulk purchase, aside from the occasional smoked sausage and the one beef roast and boneless turkey breast roast  I've purchased.

Breakfasts:  all breakfasts served with fresh fruit and milk
Oatmeal with Apples and Raisins, Cinnamon Toast
Breakfast sandwiches
Fried Eggs and Toast x 2
Pancakes and Turkey Bacon
Bagels and Cream Cheese
Omelet and Hash Browns (for John), Toast

Dinners:  Chicken Chili (oh this was really nice!), Corn Muffins and Pinepple Salad
This was Katie's recipe.  I didn't get the actual recipe but I know what was in it because she shared.  Boneless skinless chicken cut into chunks, onion, jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin and chili powder.

Rotisserie Style Turkey Tenderloins, Steamed Broccoli, Wild Rice, Whole Wheat Rolls
This is a new to me item from the Fit & Active line at Aldi.  I picked it up in the meat case and I've just tasted it.  It's really good.

Creamed Hamburger over Toast Points, Asparagus, Green Salad
Spicy Red Beans and Brown Rice, Coleslaw, Baked Apples
Roasted Italian Sausage, Apples, Potatoes and Onions, Italian Bread, Green Salad
Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
Leftovers for me

Suppers:  Cheese Sandwiches, Apples
PBJs, Carrot and Celery sticks
Banana Smoothie, Cheese and Whole Wheat Crackers
Meatloaf Sandwiches, Chips
Tuna Salad plates
Turkey Sandwiches, Carrot Sticks
Chicken Soup

Jobs This Week




I got more done last week than I'd thought but there are several tasks from last week's list that need to be done yet... so some of last week's jobs are moving to this week.

I really am anxious to start the kitchen work. There is something about September that puts me in mind of fall cleaning.   And now that we're at Labor Day I feel it's perfectly fine to say that this is a new season in my home.

Wash guest room bedding, and spread and hang to dry on line.

Finish washing off the back porch railing.  No it wasn't on my list but I started it, as though I hadn't nearly enough to do already.

Start clearing out the kitchen work cabinets and work utensil drawers.

Start painting front porch floor.

1 comment:

Lana said...

I am just back from the lake and must, must make menus for the week! I know what happens if I don't! We ate out past the point of wanting to do so again for a good many days. We have rested well though and that is what we needed.

Our upstairs is about to become a huge mess as we have to move out of the master bedroom and bonus room for a huge wall paper stripping mess. We have put this off far too long and if we are ever going to sell this house and downsize it must be done. My kitchen must wait if I am going to keep my sanity! I hate upheaval like this.