The Week Ahead: The End of February



Last week was a pretty  good work week.   I managed every job on my list except digging out the corner flower bed.  It rained every single day except Friday and on Friday I hit the peak of how bad I felt.

I made every meal on my menu but the Tuna Casserole was pre-made and pushed  for Saturday dinner yesterday.    All in all, it was a great week, despite not feeling good.



This week: 


 Zone: Porches/Patio/Shed
If the weather remains dry, I shall start the cleaning process of the railings/rafters, floors and furniture on the porches and patio.  This year, I will need to buy new cushions for the chairs, a total of 8.  All of the furniture could also use a new coat of paint.  I am not saying that all these tasks will be accomplished this week, not by any means!  But in looking ahead, I do see what jobs I must do in the coming weeks.

In the shed, I hope to get some storage bins for the things that are just sitting about that should be contained.  Even if I don't manage that I will try to clear a path to the walls.  My goal is always to have the center of the building clear and things organized at the walls.  I don't know how far I shall get this week but I'll make a start on it at the very least.  Just maybe I can collect the next lot of donations/trash for the dumpster, too.

That's zone work.  For the rest of my week:  Harvest week.  I have the bills started and will try to finish them before Monday.  I expect John and I will travel to the other county to pick up his check.

I will work up the proposed retirement budget as John requested.

We'll certainly make a trip to one grocery or another this week.  I plan to go over my pantry stock up list and concentrate more on that this pay period.  We really only need milk and produce for our current use.

I have a day at Mama's planned.  I must remember to take my tool box with me.

I've plenty of work to keep me busy this week, especially if I manage to get outdoors and there's all the usual routine work to be attended to as well.

Do a house 'examination' and make a list of small tasks and jobs for March while I am in each zone.

Meals:

While Friday was 80f for a high, the week ahead is meant to be more seasonal.  That means I can plan more of the cooler weather meals, but it's the season where I must truly look at the temperatures for the week ahead to know what is the best way to go with menu planning.

Tuna Casserole, Green Salad with celery, apple slices and walnuts

on my own x1

out with Mama x1

Chicken Pakistani, Yellow Rice, Pineapple Salad

Chicken Fried Rice, Orange Slices, Egg Rolls

Pinto Beans, Cornbread, Coleslaw, Baked Apples

Swedish Meatballs and Noodles, Brussels Sprouts, Lingonberries

Leisure:  

I've got a nice stack of March vintage magazines next to my chair.  I've been reading1930's Better Homes and Gardens of late.  Takeaway from the gardener's column: regardless of what you think the weather is doing in heating up come March, keep the mulch and wraps on your plants in place!

Reading: more  Grace Livingston Hill, but I also have two Frances Hodgson Burnett books and I'm sort of feeling a need to check in with another favored author so who knows...but reading for sure!

Continue to practice my crochet and do the yo yo hand sewing.  I've been playing around with instructions on different sites and so far I can make a magic circle, a simple chain and I think I've finally learned how to do a proper single crochet, so I may as well just keep going with that.  I do find this hand work very soothing and quieting.

It mightn't much sound like leisure to you, but I do enjoy reading the archives of some of these blogs and digging deep to find frugal hints and tips and posts I might have missed.  At least for this week I shall continue this project.  It too is a great project for quiet work and a nice pursuit when I want to feel I am doing something  but I know that I am in danger of overtaxing myself.

5 comments:

Lana said...

After we retired I found that many of my budget categories could be adjusted way down. We only use a third of the gas that we used to and buy very few clothes since a work wardrobe does not have to be maintained. Groceries went down with fewer costly foods for lunches garbage service was cancelled since there is time to take it ourselves, etc. All in all a pleasant surprise. It took a year or more to get the budget adjusted as these things became more apparent.

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri! I know exactly what you mean regarding hand work being soothing! I don't really knit or crochet worth anything but I do like to keep a mending basket full of little projects, along with different color threads and a pincushion ready with pins and various sizes of needles. In fact you've reminded me that I need to sew a button on one of my favorite dresses before I can wear it again, haha! I really enjoy listening to audio books when doing this. Sometimes I look for new projects just so I can justify finishing a chapter! I've listened to several GLH books for free (on audiovox) while mending! So happy you're feeling better, Mike was home with a bad cold for several days but is much better now. As always, thanks so much for sharing.
Love,
Tracey
Xox

Anonymous said...

P.S. Oops I meant to say I listen to f eye audio books on Librivox!

Amber T. said...

Is one of your books "The Secret Garden"? I believe that is one from the author you mentioned. It was a childhood favourite!

terricheney said...

Lana, I am sure that we will see the same adjustments. I don't know what John wants to do. He says one day he's going to retire in a year or so and then another day that he doesn't have to quit work anytime soon if at all, etc. However, he did at least have evidence in hand that he COULD if he so chose.

Tracey, I am planning to get a work basket to put next to my chair. Your letter spurred something in my home...I had to mend a shirt, a sheet and a towel this morning.

Amber, Yes it is! I love that book and then I found The Little Princess on another bookshelf this morning. I feel I have riches!

May 2024 Goals