The Week Ahead: It's Not My Plans Anyway




Last week was a mix of going and doing.  I was aware of this when I began the week but wasn't aware of how much time the going would take or how much the doing would be pushed aside.   I'm always curious to see how a week shapes up compared to my plans for it.  I gave up ranting over my ruined plans long ago.  It's so much easier to accept that whatever comes is God's plan for my week and to just hush up and get on with it.



While you do get an accounting of my week in my savings post, you don't always get to hear what it was I actually got around to of my planned work, nor what we actually ate.  I thought I'd incorporate that info into each of these posts at the beginning of a new week.  I think some of you have the idea that I always get every item on my list ticked and that is so far from the truth.  I do plenty most weeks but not always what I planned to do!  For instance:  the chifforobe is still not finished.  And I'm not putting it on the list this week...

Last week I planned to work in the living/dining area and front entry.  I focused harder on the living room side than the rest of the room.  I got the living room dusted.  No wreath on the front door.  No dusting of the dining area nor the entry way.  No work on photos last week either.  I culled three more books from the bookshelves and found a whole sleeve of 8 cd's by one of John's favorite ministers that had been placed among the books for no reason known to us.

I'd planned to make quiche and rolls.  Didn't happen.  John obligingly brought home another 1 1/2 dozen eggs.  I now have 5 dozen in the fridge having just finished the 6th dozen this morning.  Birthday cake and pound cake did get made.

I had my day out with Katie and with Mama.  Both turned into extra long days through no one's fault.  It was just the way the days went.

I did begin ripping seams from the slipcover.  There's a good way to go yet despite hours of work thus far. I got my Harvest Day pre-work done and finished that task this morning, at least as nearly finished as it can be until we get the check in the bank.  Then I'll write out tithe checks and mail off things.

As for meals: I actually made some version of everything on the menu except the Lentil Bolognese.  I really ought to circle this past week because I don't think I've gotten that near following my menu in ages.  This week, I've posted the menu on the bulletin board in the kitchen where I can plainly see it each day.  To my credit the roast beef and the chicken breasts are done.

And last: John and I had a lovely date.

That was last week.

This week's work:  

zone: Kitchen, Back Entry, Laundry
Keep Isaac all day long Monday.  I don't expect to get much done that day. He turns two this week and currently his idea of play is to open every cupboard or cabinet door in whatever room I am not in at the moment.

Mop kitchen floor.

1 day out to get groceries and run errands.

Do a freezer inventory and organize it as I do, preferably before I shop. Done!

Ditto for cleaning the fridge.  I'm not terribly happy with the way the baskets eat up my space in the fridge but I definitely do need something to organize with.  I'm going to really study on this matter this week. It may be I can work out something that will maximize my space better than what I now use. Done!

A good routine cleaning of all the house.

Continue work on the slipcover.

Pick up those sticks and fallen branches from the immediate yard.  I've noticed the first growth of the spring weeds and so has John.  He's mentioned the 'M' word already.  I loathe when we must start lawn work this early in the year,  yet John's not the only one thinking it necessary.  We passed many homes with freshly mown grass this past week, sigh.

Meals: 

on my own x3 

Shredded Bbq Chicken Sandwiches, Coleslaw, Chips
I'll just use one breast half for this and the other one will stand for a meal later in the week.  I'm thinking this is the meal Isaac is most likely to eat.

Roast Beef, Baked Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli

Lentil Tacos

Chicken Tikka Masala with Vegetables added in, Yellow Rice, Sliced Cucumbers
I buy the Tikka Masala sauce at Aldi.  It and the Chicken Korma both are very good and not too spicy.  Sam and I like to add onions and peppers to the Tikka Masala as it calls for on the jar of sauce but we also add in carrot and zucchini.

Leisure:

Hand sewing.  Determined to take a few minutes each day to sew some yoyos or to rip seams.  It's soothing work and quiet work which is needed at points in a day, I think.

Find another book to read.  Soared through The Honor Girl this past week.  Still plodding along with Eleanor Roosevelt...I need something to break the monotony!

2 comments:

Louise said...

LOL you are thinking about lawn care already and WE are dealing with Extreme Cold Warnings.. Yes, -52F Wind chills.. and it is supposed to remain that way until Wednesday.. I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEWS THAT THE GEESE ARE HEADING MY WAY!!!

Anonymous said...

Have you put a child guard on any cabinets? If you had one on one at least you could not worry about him getting in that one. The rest are 'his' cabinets to play in !! :) Kids sure do like to sort and stack and play with kitchen things don't they ! :)

It is to rain three days AGAIN this week. Southern California doesn't usually get rain like we have had three days or more Each week! And cold. Cold outside but warm inside with the oven, crock pot or pressure cooker working away on good food. Yum !

I am reading a book about Theodore Roosevelt. It is so good. The title is Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough. Roosevelt's growing up years and up to after marriage. David McCullough brings every biography he does to life. He always brings in other historical notes and makes it come alive. I am so glad I found this book.

I have gone on the other sites you mentioned too for years. I really enjoy trying to find new things and new view points. I am really enjoying gdonna.com a lot now too I think I have mentioned her to you before. I wish more sites had some archives or such. Yours has a place to search and it is so very helpful. Thank you for keeping that on your side for us.

We do use a lot of dried beans but then in an emergency they take a lot of water to make ready to cook and then cook. So homemade or bought canned ones or frozen bags of beans should be considered too. :) Like I don't use paper products but having some around 'in case' is sure a good thing. Every home is different. Yet we may all go through the same circumstances. I sure do love hearing about your little ones! Sarah