Sweet Violets




So many of you have commented on the new wallpaper I put up last week.  It makes me smile.

I've always loved violets for as long as I can remember.  I think I first read of them in one of Louisa May Alcott's books.  Was it in Little Women or An Old Fashioned Girl?  I'll lay odds it was the latter book, as I loved it long before I grew to appreciate the virtues of Little Women.



For as long as I could remember, Granny kept a large flower pot of violets at her doorsteps.  Never once in all the years she had them did they bloom, though they had lush foliage and looked quite healthy.  Back in my childhood, one could still buy stationery sets...after all we had no email and long distance was costly.  Letters sent via postal service were very much the thing.  And so stationery sets were considered most suitable as gifts for young girls.   It so happens that even back in my early teens I loved to write (can you imagine?) and I sent letters to friends who lived out of town quite often.  I was thrilled to pieces when I received a set of stationery that was pale lavender in color and had the sweetest deep purple violets imprinted on the border and heaven of heavens, the pages were scented with violets as well!

When I was 13, we moved to a house in the country.    The places about the house were liberally planted with strong old fashioned things.  Banana Bush covered in bright yellow waxy banana scented flowers.   Flowering Almond with sweet little puffs of fluffy pink on each branch.   Wisteria, pale lavender, sweetly fragrant.  Scotch Broom and forsythia and Quince to add lovely colors.  Sweet Shrub which filled the air with a spicy tantalizing scent.  And a fragrance I couldn't quite put my finger on, familiar and sweet and light and innocent....Imagine my huge excitement when I discovered the whole front flower beds were packed to overflowing with violets.  The lovely deep purple violets I'd longed to see, and a pale lavender one and a white Confederate violet that was even more deeply scented than the purple ones.

Mama tried to be rid of the violets.  Truth told they crowded out the things she planted and wanted to grow but those flower beds refused to give up those violets. For the next 20 years she fought the battle and lost it.  The violets would grow and grow they would.

Mama had a short squat green glass vase with a wide fluted mouth.  I'd known all my life what that vase was meant to be used for and each year I filled it with a mass of violets.  I had to keep them in my room.  Cut flowers weren't allowed in the other rooms of the house, but I needed them in my room at the least and especially when the violets were in bloom.

It was always my regret I couldn't buy a violet perfume.  A quick search just now revealed that there are loads of violet scented bath products and perfumes.  I'd have been broke had we had the internet back then!

My first marriage was a thrown together, last minute affair.  Mama and Daddy did their best to make it lovely with just what was at hand.  My dress was a soft pale green and my bouquet was a double handful of violets picked fresh moments before the wedding.  The wedding cake was Granny's old fashioned pound cake iced with white frosting and decorated with violets.  For once the house was a bower of flowers.  Daddy had gone out and cut branches of peach blossoms and crabapple and plum and gathered every blooming thing he could find.  It was lovely.  I wish the marriage had been as well.

I have lived for years without violets save a pair of tea cups I found at a yard sale for a quarter.  Not fine china, but dime store china with a lovely pattern of violets.  I kept those cups for years and was heart broken when I dropped and broke them after moving here.

This year, I determined I had to have violets once again.  I don't have live ones.  I have them splashed over the blog.   Just a little nod to my love of sweet violets.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also love violets. When my grandmother married my PaPa her best girlfriend gave her a whatnot dish decorated with violets on it. This would have been in 1922. Many years later she gave this lovely little dish to me, her eldest granddaughter. I treasure this beautiful keepsake and often think of my wonderful grandparents. Penny S.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I love violets, too. My sweet mother in law used to love them and had an area in their yard that she transplanted them to from other parts of their yard. They were the plain old fashioned dark purple wild violets. It was so pretty in that part of her yard when they were all in bloom. The purple violets that come up around our area do not have any scent.

I'm looking forward to seeing the first purple violet of the season. Even their heart shaped leaves are pretty. When I was about 12 or 13 years old, I loved Avon's violet scented cream sachet. When I was older I used to buy violet scented cologne. I bought it at a gift shop, it was made by a British company and came in the prettiest little milk glass containers. One was a tiny white barrel shaped milk glass container with a pretty little purple violet decal on it. Another one was a little flat milk glass bottle with a little dark purple satin bow at the lid and a beautiful violet decal on it. In later years I found less expensive violet colognes and used them, but somehow in the passing of years I stopped. I think I am going to have to check online and see if I can find a violet scent that actually smells like violets.

What a wonderful memory of your Dad finding all of the beautiful blooming flowers he could to decorate for your wedding. In my mind's eye I could almost see him with arms full of blooming branches, happy about all that he was able to find. They must have looked so pretty. A lot of us "baby boomers" sure did have a different style of wedding and reception than the huge, expensive weddings that are popular today, didn't we.

Anonymous said...

Susie, you are so right about us "baby boomers" having a different style of wedding and reception than are popular today. My husband and I were married in my small Methodist home church by our pastor. My dress was made for me by my Aunt from fabric that was purchased at our local TG&Y store. My bridemaids wore dresses with fabric also purchased at TG&Y and they were made by one of their mothers.
For refreshments at the reception we had a white wedding cake (with the topper being icing shaped as flowers) nuts, mints, Kool-Aid/pineapple punch and coffee. No sit down meal, grooms cake, band, open bar etc. Our wedding worked!! We will celebrate our 49th anniversary this coming August 22nd. Penny S.

Out My window said...

Oh how I love your posts. As soon as I start reading I am overcome with peace and I say I want to be like her. I too love violets and my elderly next door neighbor actually taught me how to grow African violets from cuttings. I am constantly giving away plants from my first successful cutting to people I love.

terricheney said...

Penny S. I really ought to see what I can do about getting some more china with violets...but I've promised myself I won't buy what I can't use right away and I am a 'matchy matchy' sort of person much to my daughter's dismay, lol.

And TG&Y stores! My goodness, you took me back with that. I haven't been inside one for probably 26 years now but I was a regular customer. They used to carry Shadowline lingerie and nighties...I often picked up my nighties there!

Susie, I didn't know Avon sold violet scented perfume...Pooh on missing out on that.

Out My Window, I have two AFrican violets that I've had forever. NOT a deep purple one though which is what I really want. When I do find one blooming it's either pitifully sick or ridiculously high in cost. It's lovely of you to say you feel peace as soon as you start reading. I'm so glad!

Anonymous said...

In the spring on of the weeds people try to eradicate is the wild violet from their lawns. Our lawn is quite overrun because I told Gramps if he puts weed killer on them he will wish he hadn't. LOL. They are such pretty little things and then they get mowed down. I still remember my mom showing me the king sitting on his throne washing his feet. Silly little bit of nonsense but I still look for the king inside the violet at least once a season. I always had a lot of African violets but I just cant get them to live very long. I dont have the right location for them. Once in a while I pick one up and apologize in advance that it will probably die young. My favorite is the pink. Gramma D

Lana said...

I love violets and leave them grow where ever they pop up in our yard or flower beds but the sweet smell of a perfume like that just chokes me I remove myself from the area if I smell it on someone.

terricheney said...

Gramma D, African Violets are supposed to be easy to grow but they are finicky over light, wanting morning sun or late western sun and they do not appreciate a dark shaded house at all. I had no success until we got here with the lovely morning and western light. That said, I'm down to just two, but then if I had more I should need bigger surfaces to set them about.

Lana, I was reading a blog post about violet perfumes, the girl said that many violet scents were 'powdery' which I have a very hard time with myself. It feels as though I can't catch my breath with those sort of scents.

Tammy said...

My maternal grandmother raised all kinds of African violets. She had a large north window with glass shelves and they loved it there. Grandma was an avid gardener with a huge vegetable garden and loads of flowers, but I think those violets were her babies.

Sue said...

My grandmother's best china ("best" meaning she got it one piece at a time at the local grocery store) had purple violets with green leaves all over it. It was well-worn with many, many washings, but I loved it.

The china got lost in a professional move (I don't know if it was stolen or smashed, or both), and I haven't so much as a teacup left. But I remember it well and treasured it when I had it, so I guess that will have to do.

Anonymous said...

That is my problem with any houseplants is no place where they can get the right amount of light and all our windows have heat vents under them. also they are quite high up so a regular height stand doesnt work. Guess I will just have to wait for summer! Gramma D

Kathy said...

What a lovely post! I have never tried growing violets as I don't really have a green thumb. We do have wild violets growing in some places in the yard in summer, and I enjoy them while they last.