A Few of My Most Favorite Purchases - January/February

I thought I'd share another of my posts for favorite purchases. I honestly thought I'd bought a great deal more over the last two months but my credit card history and my Amazon orders list tell me differently.  Here are the few items I think are worth mentioning for the past two months:

Marcelle Micellar Water




I shared about this product a few months ago in the Modern Day Makeup Tutorial post.  I was given a sample of this product and just loved it for makeup removal.  This brand is the 3 in 1 that removes makeup.  I've used cold creams, coconut oil and baby oil or Vaseline over the years, but this has worked best for me at dissolving makeup and not leaving such a heavy film of oily residue that I felt I had to repeatedly wash my face.  

Katie tells me that Garnier also makes a micellar water that works as well and is less expensive but I like that this product has no heavy fragrance which is another bugaboo for me.

I've had a few rough winters with dry skin on my legs.  In the past year or so I've noted that the skin on my arms was looking like crepe paper and dry as could be.   I've tried other soaps and that made no change at all.  This past December I was looking through Pinterest and came across a post about these two products.

Johnson's Baby Oil Gel

Johnson's Baby Creamy Oil

The girl who wrote the post said that she smoothed the Baby Oil Gel on immediately when she stepped from the shower, then patted her skin dry.  Then she applied the Baby Creamy Oil which really looks like a lotion.   This regime has worked for me so very well.  The skin on my arms once more appears plump and smooth.  My legs have not had that alligator skin appearance at all.

My one criticism is that the Baby Oil Gel has a slightly heavy fragrance.  I have skipped it some days and only use it once or twice a week now because of that.  I am careful to pat every area of skin dry when I use that particular product but I have to admit that the two together have really turned my skin's appearance completely around.


Bissel Swift Sweeper

A couple of years ago we had that late summer hurricane come through...Long time readers will remember it was the year I became evacuation destination for family from Florida and South Georgia.  We lost power for a week.  I had 10 people in my home and there was a constant tracking in and out once the storm passed.  It was inevitable that dirt and food was spread onto the carpet.  I tried to sweep the carpet but that was an exercise in futility.   While reading the blog archives of Frugal Measures, she mentioned finding a carpet sweeper at a yard sale to use in her home for power outages.  Bing!  The light went on in my head and I recalled that a friend of mine had often used a carpet sweeper in the main areas of her home, especially along the traffic paths, as part of her daily routine.

I immediately went to Amazon and looked at carpet sweepers.  It took a few minutes to find one that wasn't battery operated...but they do still carry them and quite reasonably priced, too.  I paid $25 for mine.

How well does it work?   We vacuum our carpets two to four times a week most weeks.  We used the sweeper the evening we got it and were absolutely astonished at how much stuff that little sweeper picked up.  It's lightweight.  The sweeper part folds down, so you can easily hang it and it takes up less space.  To empty it is a matter of simply placing your thumbs on either side of the bottom panel (there are two of these panels) and press.  The bottom flips down and empties.  All in all, I'm very pleased with this little old fashioned house tool and I don't think I shall ever again be without one.

Last, I have to mention these type of storage bins once more.

Aldi has their house brand of 54 quart bins on sale this week.  As always with Aldi, they may not be in some stores, but it's worth checking to see.

Mine are similar to this one by Ziploc, with fewer latches.  Hefty also makes their own and there are plenty of generic versions out there.  If you cannot find them in stores, check online.  They are widely available and well worth the purchase.

6 comments:

Mazie1956 said...

Thank you for the ideas! I have one of the carpet sweepers and use it frequently between vacuumings. It does work surprisingly well. I will for sure be buying the baby oil gel. The skin on my arms is a crepe-y mess and I have tried all manner of lotions and potions with minimal improvement. I was about to resort to trying the Crepe Erase, but shy away from that because of the autoship arrangement. I will look for this at the drugstore tomorrow when I go to pick up meds.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I have been meaning to try micellar water, but wondered about the fragrance issue. Thanks for the heads up on one that is not so strongly scented. Lately I have found that fragrance in facial products really bothers me, the more fragrance, the more it makes my eyes itch. A lot of times I buy new-to-me creams and cosmetic products at higher-priced Walgreens because it is handy for me to return the product if it stinks to high heaven.

I wonder why some companies feel they must add heavy fragrance to products, is there a bad odor to the product that they are trying to cover up? I can't imagine why a company would add heavy fragrance to micellar water, what could be so odorous in water that they would need to cover it with heavy fragrance?

Not too long ago I bought a smaller (a bit bigger than 9 X 13 inch) storage container with the seals like yours. It is great and really is air tight in the refrigerator, plus it doesn't hold food odor in the plastic. I need to keep my eye out for the bigger sized units. We have had very tiny, hugely annoying, ants here during the past couple of summers, and they are like little Houdinis in the way they can get in and out of places I thought were air tight. Bigger containers like that will be excellent to keep those ants out.

terricheney said...

CarolM, Both products are available at Amazon if you are unable to find them in your drugstore. I wasn't able to locate either product in several stores, but that little regime is more than worthwhile. It takes just a tiny bit of the clear oil gel since it's going on the wet skin and the lotion oil has lasted well.

Susie, I am curious as to how these boxes will do with ants. I've found them in my pantry in the past inside never opened packaging, and I do know how capable they are at getting into things you'd think they couldn't!

Tammy said...

We use one of those sweepers at the theater for cleaning up popcorn in the lobby. We can't run the vacuum while movies are running, so this is a great option.

terricheney said...

Tammy I do appreciate the lack of noise with this carpet sweeper too...

Karla said...

I always appreciate hearing about what other people are enjoying and not enjoying from their purchases. I'm a huge fan of the micellar water so this is a brand I shall have to try!

That sweeper brings back memories! My mom had a red one from Fuller Brush.