The Week Behind: Blooms!




Saturday:  I rolled out of bed this morning at 6:45.  It was daylight enough to clearly see that morning had broken.  I don't typically get up quite that early but I knew that this was my last daylit morning for a few weeks to come, so I got up and enjoyed it.   I tell you truly that my most favorite hour of the day is the early hours of daylight, sitting near the window in the kitchen with my Bible and first cup of coffee.   It's not half so appealing when it's dark out the window and that's fact.



John in this morning from work.  I do not like to make a big breakfast on these Sabath mornings but John doesn't want to come in to a bagel and cream cheese either. Compromise:  I made an omelet and toast.  I don't know why it seems like more to him but it does and he was happy and so was I.  Good enough.

I'd thawed some of those rolls I'd tried that you freeze unbaked and baked them off yesterday for Shabat last night.  Oh my gracious!  They rose beautifully and turned out so nice.  I had one with my lunch and one for after lunch, too.  Then I put one aside for Shabat kiddish(that's communion), and the rest were reheated for today's dinner.  They were just as good warmed over as they were fresh.  I'll share that recipe with you all and tell you the way I made them instead of the way it's all written out.

I made spaghetti for our dinner.  I decided to cook a pound of that grass fed ground beef from Aldi.  It's quite good by the way.  I put half of it in a container and put it right back in the fridge. I'll likely make sloppy joes with it one night for supper next week.  I added the other half pound to the Bolognese sauce I'd made Wednesday.  That and a big plain green salad suited us.  To finish off the meal we had a slice of pound cake with peach slices and whipped cream.  I had planned to make Easy Tiramisu but didn't feel up to it on Friday and I really do try to keep work to a minimum on our Shabats.

John and I watched the movie, Christopher Robin.   The movie was so so, but  I giggled over Tigger and Eyeore and pondered Pooh's gentle wisdom.  I've always loved those characters.

The Bible John bought for my birthday has devotions every few pages.  They are bordered with flowers and leaves of various sorts, much in the manner of illuminated pages of long ago.  I spent a few happy hours coloring in the borders about some of the devotionals I've read already.  They've come out rather pretty.

Okay, here's the roll recipe.  Just a little background about it.

I was recently digging deep into dear Rhonda's archives at If You Do Stuff, Stuff Gets Done .   I'd been thinking of my pantry and my cooking of late and I'd determined I'd return to basic good foods for the most part and I know that Rhonda has a lovely collection of easy, inexpensive good recipes on her blog.  The recipe I'm about to share was given to her from another friend we know, Vicki.  I was a little unclear on some parts of the recipe and I'm going to share it as I made it up, rather than as it was written up.  I'm only doing this because having found it a success, it seems I might as well keep on with it as I made it, right?


Vicki's Freezer Crescent Rolls
2 cups warm water
2/3 cup dry powdered milk
1/2 cup instant potato flakes
1/2 cup butter, divided into 1/4 c measures, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp. yeast (I use a rapid rise bread machine yeast even though I have not got a bread machine)
2 eggs, room temperature
4-5 c flour

I started with the four cups of flour called for at first.  I put the dry ingredients in the bowl first, then added in the butter in dibs and dabs, then added in the water.  I found the dough a bit wet and added in another cup of flour.   Since our weather was quite dry and not humid, I did not feel I should add any more.  I did not go over the 5 cup  amount.  It remained a very soft dough.  I blended everything and then allowed my mixer to knead the dough for 8 full minutes.   I did not grease the deep mixer bowl I'd used to mix the dough in.  I covered with a  pastry cloth and let rise for about 1 hour.  The dough had swelled to the top of the bowl and was pushing the cover up.   I punched down the dough.

Melt rest of butter.  I lightly floured another pastry cloth and then divided the soft dough into three portions.  I rolled each portion into a rough 12 inch circle.   I could hear bubbles in the dough popping as I shaped it into a circle.  I flipped it periodically to try to keep the circle shape and to insure my rolling pin didn't lift up bits of dough.  Once the circle is formed, brush the round with melted butter.  Cut the circle into pie shaped wedges.  The original recipe says 12-18 wedges but I think mine were nearer 10-12 per round.   Roll from wide end to pointed end and place on a greased cookie sheet.   I needed two cookies sheets by the way.  You'll want to make sure you've got room in your freezer for them!   Repeat with the other two thirds of the dough.   Freeze the rolls until firm, then remove from cookie sheets and place in a zippered bag.

When you want rolls, remove as many as you'd like, and place them on a greased cookie sheet.  Let thaw and rise for 3 or 4 hours (depends on heat in your kitchen really, but if you're baked bread you'll know when they are double in size).   Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.

As I said these were so very good and tasty at first baking and just as good reheated.  I was shocked at how light and lovely they turned out.  I'm going to make these again when I've used this lot of rolls up.

I washed a full load of dishes this afternoon.  I took time before quitting for the night to put all the dishes away.  I'm sure John means to go to church tomorrow and I really don't want to add to the morning rush.

Sunday:  We woke before 8am...Not too far off my usual awakening time, given the time change.

Made Mc-sandwiches for breakfast. I used the last of the English muffins from Aldi purchase two weeks ago, but I think I'm going to try my hand at making my own.  I found a recipe in one of the vintage magazines last month.

Went out the door with a box of tissues, bottle of water, idea of what I meant to pick up at the grocery and the trash to be carried to the dumpsters.  We picked up mail on our way out of the bottom drive.

I paired a shirt with dark wash jeans this morning that I typically had worn with only black pants.   I hadn't realized what a lot of blue that shirt had in it...nor how right the sales girl had been when she told me that a dark wash jean was as good a basic as black pants.   I'll get far more mileage from this shirt now that I realize how well it works with jeans.   These jeans are the ones I picked up about four weeks ago for $13 off the clearance rack.

At the grocery today, I picked up what we'd likely have bought on grocery day.  It's one less stop to make and a good opportunity to get the sales items that were best buys this pay period.  I got bread,  8 pc Fried Chicken and macaroni salad, bananas, cabbage ($1.29 a pound...You'd think St. Patrick's wasn't just around the corner), a can of Campbell's tomato soup and a can of Publix brand tomato soup to compare taste and appearance.  The difference in cost is about 80c a can but the Campbell's was on sale this week for just $1 a can.  So we'll see...I bought sodas which were a buy two get one free deal.  My kids all tell me they don't drink soda, but you can't prove it by our stash.  Every time they walk in the door they ask for a Coke...and that's not the little ones!   A beef Polska Kielbasa was on sale this week, 3 for $10 and I bought three.  I also got a couple of items at the pharmacy counter that were far better priced than the pharmacy and a pretty pink lipstick (seriously, John insisted) and two bunches of flowers for $8.

I opted for white mums and pink lilies today as my flowers.  Nice long lasting flowers.  I chose flowers that weren't quite open.

Why did John insist on the lipstick?  It is my habit to put lipstick on once we get in the car.  This morning, I completely failed to check what I had in my purse and so I was left with neutral and earth tones when I wanted a pinker lip.  Hence we stopped at the cosmetics display and I was instructed to get what I wanted.  I chose a pretty deep pink since I have a pale neutral pink here at home.  John was satisfied and I'm not complaining over a new lipstick.

I was feeling pretty shattered by the time we'd left church, hence the fried chicken.  I steamed broccoli while we reheated the cold chicken.  I don't know why but this particular store simply does NOT have chicken on Sunday's.   It's always, "We can put some on but it will be 25 minutes."   I am sure management has studied all this and knows what they are doing but they are right within a mile of three very large churches and a dozen smaller ones.   Then again, I've known them to shove it in the hot box to keep and no one thinks to pull any out to put under the warming lights.  Oh well.  I came home and popped our chicken into the oven to warm, steamed broccoli and chopped the last of the English cucumber and fancy heirloom cherry tomatoes. I dressed those with a splash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  It made a good dinner.  There are leftovers for John's lunch, leftovers for me and Bess and Isaac tomorrow for our lunch.

On our way home, I had a text from Sam that Josh wanted a Strawberry Shortcake Party.  He is not referring to the doll!   No that boy has a memory like a young elephant.  Last spring we had a strawberry shortcake for dessert after  dinner and I forbade Sam to not allow him to have any of it even if he didn't eat his dinner that night because it was  promise I'd made to Josh.  I told Josh then of how, when his daddy was a young boy, I'd once a year have a Strawberry Shortcake party for supper and the children were allowed to eat all they wanted and that was all we had for supper.  So he wants a strawberry shortcake party.  Oddly enough I was admiring the well priced strawberries at Publix this afternoon and wondering if I could smell them if they'd smell as good as they looked.   Well this Gramma will be buying strawberries, fresh or frozen,  this week and we will have a Strawberry Shortcake party on Wednesday after school.

John shared his memory of how his mom made strawberry shortcake with a bought angel food cake and whipped cream from a can and frozen strawberries from a can too...I could vaguely recall seeing berries in those cans in the freezer section.  I asked if he remembered seeing them in the little waxed milk cartons.  He didn't but I remember those.  Now it's all plastic bags isn't it?  But then we get to choose how much sugar we shall add to our berries and we were at the mercy of packing plants with our berries back then.

I knocked over the honey jar while we were having lunch.  My honey had crystallized and I popped it in the microwave to loosen up.  John loves honey with his fried chicken...Anyone else?   Anyway, I was having a bit of honey with my chicken as well and I tilted the jar on it's way to being set on the table and couldn't right it.  I spilled honey everywhere.  John said "Way to go, Pooh!" lol

Received a notice from Target that they'd be shipping out my dog food subscription next week.  That's going to work out just perfect.  I have enough dog food to last me until the next lot arrives.  I need to get something I can store that bag in.   We've been wrapping in a big trash bag and tying it up tight but I don't find it ideal to have it sitting in the living room next to the front door.  I'm not keen to have it outdoors either.  I think I want a trash can I can put it in and I'll keep it in the pantry closet.

Monday:  Oh that silly DST bug bit hard last night.  12:00am and we were still trying to wind down for bed.  And then John woke at 5am this morning and sat on the edge of the bed trying to gather himself enough to start his day.  I lazed about until 5:25...Up to make a simple breakfast, enough to see him off to work.

I stripped the bed, gathered the towels after my shower, and washed a full load of clothes.  I dried in lots this morning, the sheets and napkins first, the towels and dishcloths second.   Pollen and rain do not make for good drying weather...so I didn't mop the floors either.   Yes, the floors are indoors but I find when it's cool and damp outdoors the floors tend to stay wet longer indoors.

Housework took no time at all so I planned out a nice lunch.  Well the day didn't go at all as planned.  Bess failed to show, then texted at lunchtime and said she'd forgotten a doctor's appointment and we'd need to reschedule.  Then Katie came by to print off Mama's tax papers, so she had a salad and crescent rolls with me.    She stayed a little less than an hour then went back home to tend to her laundry.  I feel much much better today, but I'm afraid I had got myself into a company mindset and I felt rather let down with Bess not coming by and Katie not staying any longer.

This morning when I'd read my Bible study for the day, I took time to color in some of those devotional pages once again.  I listened to some uplifting music while I was doing so.

I took myself off outdoors after feeding the dogs and cat to pick muscari, or grape hyacinths.  I don't care for hyacinths over much finding them overly perfumed but I love the little bell shaped clusters of flowers on the grape hyacinth, which from a distance give the appearance of clusters of tiny grapes.   Mine are a medium purple and look lovley in a cobalt blue glass medicine bottle from years past. I put them on the table between mine and John's chair...Yep, I shall have to watch them since the are not only in glass but in water as well, but I do appreciate their beauty.

I couldn't help but see how many weeds have invaded the flower beds and pots.  Gracious but there's a lot of work to be done out there.  I took a few minutes while it was raining to pull out half the weeds in the circular flower bed about the Gingko tree.

I restarted the dishcloth.  Because I am winging it, it keeps ending up smaller than I mean it to be.  I think I just need to find directions to do a cloth instead of thinking I can just manage it on my own in a single crochet.

John called me with the check figures so I finished up bills and have everything ready to go into the mail and set aside another portion for the new savings account.  I'm feeling quite happy with our progress on this new savings.  The least I can do with John working extra is make his overtime count for something more than the standard spending.

It rained so hard after John called with figures that I didn't venture out to do posting or banking as I'd planned.  It shall wait until tomorrow.

Tuesday:  I was pleased to wake early this morning.  I was only off by a few minutes, waking about 7:30 rather than my usual 7am.  No complaints, I slept lovely all night long though it took me until nearly 11p last night to even feel I might go off to sleep.  It does seem the first week or so following Daylight Savings Time I spent every hour saying, "Well it's really not 1p, it's 12N...Not 10p, it's 9p..."  to excuse why I'm not hungry or not sleepy.

I had no inspiration or oomph for breakfast at all.  I was relieved to get a call from John after I stepped out of the bath to know I had time to have coffee and Bible study before he arrived home.  Keeping breakfast simple was an easy decision.

I was sorry sorry sorry to come to the last of my home raised eggs.  The girls who'd been supplying us so liberally had a predator get into their chicken house and decimate them.  I so sad about it.  The last carton held 18 and they'd placed them into the rows in a way that made me laugh out loud when I saw it because I found it so appealing: white/brown/white/brown/white brown and the next row started with a brown egg...It was lovely!

I went out to feed the dogs and cat this morning, then decided I simply had to make a small start on this weeding business.  I yanked all the weeds up from the edges of the patio, which meant a ton of that thick lush moss came up off the wet pavement too.  I do like that moss growing on the patio edges.  I know it's growing because that area is almost continuously damp even in the dry part of summer.   I love how springy and soft it is and such a lovely green.

I pulled all the weed out of the flower pots on the patio.  I'll need to top up with potting mix but those pots at least are ready to plant.

Came indoors and washed up breakfast dishes, made the bed, piddled about the house.  It was as I was about to sit down in the living room that John looked up and said "Aren't you getting ready to go?"  It was then I noted he had on one of his nicer shirts, a sure sign he means to be leaving home.  "I didn't realize you wanted to do anything today!"  "Grocery shopping...it's today or not at all."   This is unusual for after John's just off work, so I hurried myself along and got ready to go.

We took off trash, took the mail to be posted, went by the bank and shopped for groceries at Aldi.  I had a short list but kept putting things in the buggy.  I was at the meat counter and I'd popped a sirloin steak, a corned beef, a packet of grass fed ground beef and the Never Any! chicken tenders into the buggy.  "We don't really need meat...Well we don't really need a good deal of this stuff!" I said.  John replied rather wisely, "But we can always use it and you might as well stock up now while we have the extra cash coming in."  Yes, he's quite right.  Not a bit of this will go bad on us and somewhere in the back of my mind I was reasoning it out that picking up a bit extra meat or doing what I am to restock the pantry (rice, powdered milk, instant potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, tomato soup for recipes, gelatin, coffee, turkey Spam) were all an added savings of sorts.  I reckon I spent about $40 extra and yes, we had it in the bank and were well able to cover it.

Taking him at his word, I asked to stop at the grocery where I typically go about once a month.  Today I bought the turkey sausage patties that are so very well priced there and the powdered milk (none at Aldi), as well as the turkey Spam which was an incredibly good price today.   Still going on the theory that we have the cash NOW.  Another $40 spent there.   Nope no complaints.

We stopped for lunch at a sandwich place we like.  I pointed out to John that when we order a sandwich we are paying for sandwich and side regardless of whether we get the side item or not.  "No more giving them over price for just a sandwich...we get the side.  We'll bring leftovers home if we must."  John agreed...and dutifully ordered the cup of soup to go along with it (other choices include salads of sorts).  We each had half a sandwich left, which we brought home in a takeout container.  I suppose I might point out to him that we could order one sandwich/side and share it in future.  The sandwiches at this place are always hefty.

Home to unpack groceries and put them away.  Lovely to see the pantry and freezer filling up, to have the fruit bowl loaded with fruit once more.  I bought the berries to make Josh's shortcake party tomorrow.  I made coffee and we settled to play on the computer and chat.

Leftovers for supper tonight.  That was our hot meal today.

Wednesday:  John has decided that his days off shall be days out of the house.  No plan I've made this week for a day at home has worked out except Monday when my planned company failed to visit, sigh.  It's left me feeling discombobulated.  I can't settle to do any task because we're either just about to go somewhere or just in from somewhere.   I shall not complain too loudly over it.  The man is working what feels like an endless shift and he says the only time he gets me alone is if we leave the house.  I think he's also avoiding starting the mowing the season...He seemed a little giddy over the fact that it's meant to rain on Friday which is his next day off.

I had a fitful night.  Allergies still grabbing at me and I woke several times with a snuffy nose and the distinct feeling I was gasping for air.  I wanted to sleep in this morning and I did sleep a little longer than yesterday but I knew John had planned to go out this morning so felt compelled to leave my bed.
Coffee is a wonderful incentive.

Our outing was simple: haircuts.  I always 'check in' online so that we're assured of quicker service.

John commented on how foggy it looked.  Not fog...pollen.  Readings were very high today.

The salon is next to Kroger.  I had two free Friday downloads to pick up, a 10 ounce Queso Fresco cheese and a candy bar.  I stopped at the Starbucks in the store to try one of the new Cloud Macchiato coffees.  I ordered a smaller size.  Yummy.

On our outing we eyed two banks we'd been considering for our new savings account.  They sit side by side but are on a street that runs parallel to a four lane highway, without lights for in/out help.  We are both reluctant to try either because they are so doggone difficult to get to.  Another bank we discussed has a really tight parking lot which we both loathe.  Does it sound as though we're making excuses?  We really do consider all aspects of what will frustrate us or help.  On the way back home, as we came through the little town east of our town, John pointed out a branch of one of those banks.  Big shady parking lot, easy in/out, close enough to home to be convenient.  We're supposed to go over on Friday and see about getting that new account started.

We came home to have our lunch.  I made Chicken Noodle Soup which was on our menu for last week.  I put half the soup base into the freezer.   We had a bowl of soup and the sandwiches we had left from our lunch out yesterday.

I'd planned to make another cake or buy an angel food cake but it occurred to me that I was foolish to do either when I had a pound cake that would serve nicely as a base for our Strawberry Shortcake tonight.

The boys were delighted with the new toys and played happily with them.  I was well pleased at how well received they were and determined that I shall add a few more nicer toys and rid us of some of the junk toys that have been deposited here.

Josh wanted a peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich for supper.  He was happy to pack up strawberry shortcake for his mama and daddy to share.   And fruit.  Josh always wants to take home fruit from my house.  I don't know just why.  Bess and Sam always keep plenty of fruits at home but Josh wants to carry things home from here, lol...I'm telling you all, he really does remind me of my great aunt Martha on this score.  I confess I wasn't much ready to take them home tonight but it was late for a school night and I knew John was right to say it was time.

The day ended with a glorious sunset.


Thursday:  Up early with John.  Sent him off with coffee, meal, etc.

I did light housework this morning.   Even after having the boys the house just wasn't that messy.  Josh and Isaac are really good about picking up toys before going.  It's always fun, though, to see what was overlooked.  Like the painted rock I see sitting on the table across the room.  Or the game piece that Isaac slipped into the fruit bowl.  It makes me smile to see the little things that have misplaced.

I took a bottle of water with me when I left the house this morning.

Mama had a couple of easy errands she wanted me to tend to, but mostly she wanted to ride and eat lunch out.  We had a ride before lunch and a ride after lunch.  I think she was making up for the rides we missed having last month.

The last thing Mama wanted was a coffee.  I had my gift card with me and took her by for coffee.  We are agreed that over the coming warmer months we're going to skip dessert after our meal and have an iced coffee drink.

After I left Mama, I went by three thrift stores.  The first stop was the most profitable for me.  I spent 30c on three pictures frames.  I always look for wood frames.  They aren't fancy but they are sturdy.  I paint them usually anyway.  I mean for 10c each...why not?

I also found four aqua napkins, all cotton, new in package for $2.

At the second shop, which was new to me, I bought what are likely overpriced but oh so pretty coasters, as well as a book of short stories by Gladys Taber, One Dozen and One.
Isn't this pretty?  I love them.  Next to violets...I love pansies!   This is so pretty with my aqua place mats on the dining table, though I also have two on the table between our chairs because iced drinks tend to sweat onto the table top.

The last thrift stop was in a new location but an old favorite.  They always have nice furniture there and usually have lovely china.  I saw a set of three plates with violets on them but the plates were so terribly faded I decided to skip them.  I walked out of that store empty handed, but I had a good look around.

I saw something on a new to me vlog this morning that I thought was a great idea.  The girl had sold it at one point long ago but shared her personal notebook titled Style It.    In this notebook, she writes out  outfit 'menus' where she writes down every element she uses to make up one outfit, lists of things she finds she needs in her wardrobe, photos of inspirations for outfits etc.   Brilliant!  Let's face it, I am a lists maker anyway, but I've had only loose leaf sheets of paper to keep up with outfit ideas over the last three years and I think a notebook is a great idea.  I'll naturally just be using a composition book for mine.

Was pleased when I checked my projects list this morning to find that despite my lack of push to get work done over the last few weeks, I could tick off three or four items.  This lull in big projects is typical of me about this time of year.  I'll make a big hard push through spring, once pollen season has decreased and then I'll slow down and work steadily through summer and do another big push in autumn.  I'm in a list making mood...Time for a new projects list!

Gave myself a fresh manicure this morning.  I'm working at doing this more often because it's something that really pleases me, even if I do chip it easily.

Friday:  Made blueberry pancakes this morning for breakfast.  More and more, I am having an imbalance of blood sugar when I eat pancakes.  I added flax seed meal and hemp hearts to this mornings pancakes to try and increase the protein and fiber content to give a better balance.  I'll have to continue to try and adjust this, though I do think I'm on the right track with it.

John was tired this morning and a wee bit impatient with life in general but we did make it over to the bank and opened our new account.  We talked briefly of doing an auto deposit...but I asked to just make a bi-weekly or monthly deposit after bills.  I shared with John later, in private, how aggressive I really wanted to be with this savings account and why.  He was a little shocked.  He didn't say it was impossible but he did understand that it was a matter of major concentration as far as I am concerned.

Home again, and I did all the housework.  I still have a few light tasks to attend to but the major work of the week is done.

I had some tomatoes that got a little past their prime.  I seeded them and have them in the oven roasting at present.  I thought I'd use some on pizza tonight.

Made a quick and easy dinner, right from the menu of the week.  I had the tomatoes in the oven anyway, so put in french fries to bake on a cast iron griddle, and then used an oven proof skillet to cook the cubed steak.   I'd just wiped off the counters and cabinets and stove and was not in the mood to splatter them with grease while cooking on stove top.

That's my week...How was yours?  What did you do to save?  What fun did you have?

10 comments:

Debby in Kansas said...

I managed to get only the basics done this week. Bacteria and dust shouldn't kill us, but I won't win any housekeeping awards either!
The time change just kills me. The alarm goes off at 5am 6 days a week. That simple hour it *springs forward* wakes me in the middle of a deep sleep cycle and I literally stagger from bed. And that's after I sit on the edge for a good 10 minutes picking cobwebs from my brain! I usually have a slight stomach ache all week, which reminds me of college during finals week...and not enough sleep. It's really terrible. I'm hoping that I begin next week feeling more normal. I wish they'd leave the blasted clocks alone!! But, trying to convince politicians that God is smarter than they are is a waste of time.

We had some unexpected car expenses this week on top of expected car tag fees so that didn't make me so happy. It also set back my new carpet fund. Hmph.

We had torrential rain for two days and then gale force winds. I had to go out one day and rope-tie some fence pickets that the wind blew loose! Here's the part that really burns me...but completely tickles my neighbor. She put up their entire fence herself while home with 4 kids under 5 yrs. old! That's 1/3 of an acre and a mighty large fence! Her husband was working full time and completing his college degree. We paid professionals to put up our fence to the tune of $6500 back in 04. Hers is 2 yrs. older, put up in 02. Here we are in 2019 and ours is literally coming apart in places. Hers? Standing as mighty at it was the day we moved in! So, rather than paying someone again, we're going to rebuild it ourselves in sections. Starting with the worse. We figure it'll take us at least 2 years working in spring & fall.

I finished a very good book. It's set in both Italy and South Africa during WW2 and after. It also touches on the time where Polio began to spread. It's called The Crooked Path and I believe the author's last name is Joubert.

My husband's work had a "Green Day" at work and they were all supposed to bring Green or Irish food. I made him a Watergate Salad. It's a lovely pastel green and is always the first salad gone at every potluck I ever attend. I'm never the maker at those potlucks, but I finally got smart enough to ask for the recipe! It's so simple and tasty.

I'm looking forward (I hope) to a more peaceful and better week.

Lana said...

We made a last minute trip to our youngest son's and our middle son and his family came from the beach house they are renting this week to meet us and see everyone. That was Monday and Tuesday so we had no time to adjust at all to the time change and are still struggling with it. But, nothing was going to keep me from seeing our youngest grandson. He has changed so much just since Christmas! Traveling during that week has just turned everything upside down and we have no idea what day it is!

I can never allow myself to think that I have extra money so I can buy extra because the budget is just blown if I do. It has been a good thing to learn and admit that to myself. We spent $34.64 on groceries this week and got a $20 cash back rebate from iBotta so a net out go of $14.64. I am still spending our February grocery money but have need of nothing more than we bought. I saw on Rhonda's blog that she had made a list of every meal that she could make with what she had on hand and so I did that. It was really eye opening when I came up with 50 meals without any serious thinking at all. It will get some things used up around here and help me to be more realistic about what I purchase and in particular meat. The freezer is loaded with meat and I easily fall into the mentality that the good price this week will never happen again, with is a bunch of bologna!

Today Hubby insisted that we finish the chore list for the week so that we can play tomorrow. Oh the possibilities. Maybe a ride up to the mountains. The new leaves coming out on the trees make for lovely color this time of year. We have hardly touched our eat out money this month so we can choose a lovely downtown restaurant in one of our favorite mountain towns. I'm excited!

Have a good weekend!

Sandy Dixon said...

LOL So glad its not just me that changing the time effects.to make matters worse , we have an antique mantel clock that chimes so that if I wake up during the night an wonder what time it is I just listen for the chimes but on Sunday night I didnt if this particular clock had been advanced! frustrating! It seems like the past several weeks there have not been any really good sales in the grocery stores then this week boom! lots of them. I read on a blog that Dollar Tree has the Salt 84 brand of pink himalayian salt 16ozs for 1$. I use this for everything and it is pricey but very healthy so needless to say I stocked up and got some to share. Then when I stopped at Aldi they had the best corned beef prices going so I got three. As I headed out the door of Aldi I noticed a rack of Hydranges for 11.99 each they were stunningly beautiful and very healthy. I had planned to get 2 later on to plant in our backyard using a gift card to Pikes but they start at 40$ there so my Aldi purchase was a huge savings. But they will not get planted until this wet and pollen go away. I am trying to stay focused on getting indoor projects done because once April gets here is all about outside!

Frances Moseley said...

Hi Terri,
You should be able to find plenty of dishcloth patterns on the Internet. When I want to just do a simple one, here is what I do. Measure the width of a favorite cloth and do enough chains to get that width. Then measure the length and crochet enough rows to get that measurement. I find that it works out pretty well.
I laughed when you talked about sweet Josh always taking fruit home from your house. My mother was fond of chewing gum and when my oldest niece was little, she always had to have a couple of sticks of gum from Grandmother's house. One of my nephews always wanted a carrot from the refrigerator to take home. Isn't it funny what little ones want from Grandmother's?

Anonymous said...

I did not pick up the corned beef when at Aldi because I was sure I already had one in the freezer. You guessed it, I scoured the freezer and no corned beef! LOL

Again I can't tell you how much I enjoy all the news of your family going in and out of your house. Those boys are a treasure! Not the long ago your acreage was empty of other family and now look at it! Oh happy day !!
It sounds like both families get together but have their own privacy too. A good mix. The little ones are racking up some treasured moments in their memories that will do them for years to come. :-) Sarah

sparky136 said...

Terri, check out Ravelry.com. It is a free web site for knitters and crocheters. You do have to sign up to join. It has tons of patterns. Just put free crochet dishcloth patterns in the search bar (click on patterns at the top).

terricheney said...

Debby, I wish I'd thought of Watergate Salad. Must get pistachio pudding. John loves WAtergate salad and I never make it. What's more, I'm pretty sure Josh and Isaac would like it as well.

Lana, I know just what you mean. I seldom walk into a home store or clothing spot without thinking hard about what I can afford to actually spend. It keeps me on track. In the grocery I tend to buy things that are truly edible and not junk so that is not my weak area. But the other two? Oy!

Rhonda is a smart cookie! I often follow her advice on her blog or use a recipe she has posted because her recipes generally use basic food items and are always tasty.

Sandy, I've never bought the Himalayan Pink salt because it is so pricey. I can afford $1! Thanks for sharing that. There is a Dollar Tree opening in the next town which makes me happy. I enjoy going there to plunder about and see what is appealing and never spend too much.

Frances, Josh is so funny with that need to take something home. He's learned his parents will not allow toys to go to his house at all, so he always asks for food now, lol. Thank you for the advice on the measurements. I am still trying to master my single crochet. I do not keep things even at all...sigh. But I shall keep practicing.

Sarah, Like Sandy I picked up a corned beef at Aldi. They were well priced and I really ought to have bought more than one at the price for a flat cut ($2.99/#), but didn't. I hate thinking I've got something at home and finding not when I go to look for it.

Sparky, I shall check out ravelry. Thank you.

Karen in WI said...

A strawberry shortcake supper is such a lovely tradition to have. Young children just seem to take to special little occasions like that and really look forward to them. I guess it’s comforting to have several family traditions throughout the year. We won’t have good strawberries shipped here until almost June and then our strawberries ripen about the third week. I’m quite jealous! When we lived in California, we had the best strawberries from the farmer’s market for 9-10 months out of the year. The boys would eat them like candy every week.

We had a very warm spell here and just about all of the snow has melted. The sun has been shining and the sky looks blue instead of that gray that we get soooo much in winter. It finally feels like we have turned the corner towards spring and it felt so lovely to take a walk and not have to bury my chin in my scarf and brace against the bitter wind. We actually saw our first robin of the year! I can’t believe they are here already. It’s lovely to hear the song birds chirp again. They all fly south for the winter and it is so quiet that you can hear the snowflakes falling! When you talk about all you have to do in the yard, I remind myself of the upcoming work when spring finally does arrive. I suspect that some of our bushes/plants didn’t make it through the arctic blast we had.

This week I didn’t get a thing done. I have had one of the worst head colds I have ever experienced and it just sapped all my energy. Thank goodness my boys know how to cook and clean and my husband is home more these days. I told someone that it felt like heaven to just actually rest and not have to push through and do all the basics no matter what. I finally went out for a coffee date with my husband this morning. We stopped and got seed starting inserts. My youngest son set up our table and grow lights in the office today. After I catch up on a few more chores, I will plant some early cold hardy vegetables this week. I also have to think about getting out to start pruning when we have another warm spell. It takes a while as we now have 8 fruit trees, blueberry bushes, raspberres, as well as roses, hydrangeas, etc. Of course I didn’t get any deep cleaning done and now must be very disciplined to get as much interior cleaning done before May. I started back in the kitchen and made California fish tacos tonight and gluten free brownies for St. Patrick’s Day Sunday dinner. We will have the brownies with a choice of ice cream and mint cookies or a homemade cherry shake.

Debby in Kansas: Our family LOVES watergate salad. My grandmother always made it for holidays and my boys look forward to it so much. I have to make at least a double batch. I found maraschino cherries without red 40, called BadaBing cherries. They are expensive, but we try hard to stay away from food colorings.

terricheney said...

Karen, I hope you are feeling much better. That little cold I had really knocked wind out of my sails though it wasn't that bad. The allergy thing took less out of me.

Karen in WI said...

Thank you Terri. I was shocked how it put me down, and I too thought it wasn’t that bad. You know, I just thought of one of my son’s seasonal allergies and how they have gradually worsened. Our integrative MD did heavy metal testing on him and had our son do several things to help his body detox (salt baths, homeopathic detox series, infrared sauna). Apparently the heavy metals overwhelm your system and then when allergy season comes along, you have a harder time clearing that. I’m excited to see how he does this spring. Just a thought. I feel bad for you that it’s lovely spring weather down there and you have a hard time with your allergies. Hugs to you today!

May 2024 Goals