The Week Behind: Marching On



Saturday:  A very easy day at home.  It was cooler than it was on Friday and we sort of shivered a bit, but we did not turn the heat a bit higher.  It wasn't deeply cold indoors (nor out) and we found a jacket or throw over our legs soon warmed us nicely.  I am too well aware of that extra on the electric bill to want to turn up heat and besides, just yesterday the AC ran off and on from morning to evening and likely will run at some point next week as well.  This is the in-between season for us.



We had the last of the cinnamon rolls for breakfast.  I absolutely love the recipe for rolls I am currently using. I think part of my success has been what I've gleaned from watching The Great British Bake Off series.  I've learned how to knead the bread in my mixer and what the texture of the dough should look like.   I found the recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook. It is such a fine textured nice bread.   The recipe calls for warm milk and an egg as well as butter, so it is a rich dough.

Tuna Casserole was for lunch with plenty of leftovers.  John liked this rather well the first time I made it but he seemed rather 'Meh' about it today.  He said it hadn't enough salt, which I found odd, since I thought I'd put in a bit much!  Obviously it didn't hit his taste buds just so.  I have enough for two servings left so I shall put one aside to heat for my lunch tomorrow and the other in the freezer as a single serve for another day on my own.

I amused myself by trolling about online looking for new dinnerware this evening.  I've wanted to be done with the current lot of Corelle dishes for quite some time but I haven't found that great combination of good price/love the item yet.  I did find some dinner plates I rather liked that are still Corelle but they are pricey besides and it's only dinner/salad plates and cereal bowl...Ah well, I shall look further. I'm going to find something I can afford and truly love if I just keep on looking.

After Shabat was done this evening, I looked at skin care on the Mary Kay site.  I've nearly finished the moisturizer from the set ordered just after Christmas, despite using only a small amount  and that not even every day as I ought.   The formula changed and was repackaged between my order in August and the order placed in December and I do not care for it.  As well, it's less product for the same amount of money.  I decided to go back to Clinique (same price) and get the Dry/Combination formula.  I like that this product is fragrance free (as is Botanicals Effects but with the change of formula, the aroma of the product also changed) and made for sensitive skin. I feel rather put out to sea in having to change skin care routines again but all I know to do is keep trying products until I find the one that is absolutely the right one for me.  I got 15% off my order as a first time online customer.  Fingers crossed on liking this product.

While making my salad this afternoon for our big meal, I toasted pecans.  It takes just as long to toast a pan full as it does a handful.  I went ahead and did the pan full and then mixed the remaining toasted pecans with salted almonds and cashews for my homemade mixed nuts.  John must have liked this rather well because he ate a goodly portion this afternoon.

Sunday:  John off to work this morning amid a heavy downpour.  He went off with coffee, lunch and a long sleeve shirt even though it was humid when he left.  I'm glad he had on that long sleeved shirt because the wind came up and blew pretty hard and cold, which cleared clouds and humidity by 8am.

The house didn't need lots of attention after John left for work today.  The porches and patio are thoroughly wet at present as is the yard for the morning at least.

The prediction per the weather app on my phone was the rain/clouds would last into the morning.  I washed sheets and towels and dried in separate loads indoors.  Alas, by 10am it was sunny outdoors.  Sometimes being eager to attend to housework is to my detriment.

I do not generally do dishes on Shabats.  I prefer to rinse well and stack neatly in the sink so I can load them into the dishwasher on Sunday morning.  That worked well for this morning, since there were not a lot of extra dishes about.  That's the luxury of preparing a meal ahead.

I sat down after doing my bits of housework and finished bills.  I had to add extra money to  the electric bill, since it was much higher than I'd anticipated.

Doing bills reminded me that I'd promised John to try and work out a retirement budget, working from only what we   know at present our income might be and not touching any savings.  Well...it took some wrangling and thinking hard but I do believe I've planned to the penny what we'll have.  Of course, this took into account that my own insurance costs would be lowered and did not include any social security I might eventually draw as additional income.  When you are working with a theory, you can't accurately anticipate every expenditure or bit of income you might have but we could cover all our present expenses  and if needed we could trim some categories down a bit tighter but I left all of our sub account savings in place and that was what I wanted to keep going so we don't have to dip into our bigger savings to cover annual expenses or vacation or Christmas.

I have been thinking of how seasonal my earnings have been in our home.  Just three years ago I had a steady amount of income monthly, albeit quite small, from Swagbucks and surveys and My Coke Rewards.  All of those sources have ended for me.  Ditto for the earnings I received from Jamberry.   I thought back over the years to other savings programs I'd been involved in.  At one point I got free cat food about every 2 months by saving proofs of purchase.   I was able to use Coke Rewards to get free soda or snack foods.  There was a time that rebates and coupons netted me a small savings that expanded our income.  Over the years I've had a few small ventures that paid us, but it was all for 'just a season': housekeeping for Mama for instance, and a term of selling things on eBay.  Yet each source has dried up.

Interestingly enough, in my deeper exploration study of long lived blogs, I was reading through Mrs. Sharon White's Legacy of Home blog yesterday.   She and her family went through a bit of a downturn of fortune during the recession a few years ago (you know...the one that wasn't a recession but most surely was for many of us) and she posted about contentedly living on whatever her husband earned rather than focus too hard upon what she might do to earn.  Her theory was based on the fact that provision was always forthcoming and when she didn't focus too hard upon extra earnings but focused instead on how best to use what was at her disposal, her husband relaxed his tensions and worries.   

I know firsthand that the moment I start making deep cuts while John is earning more than enough to provide for us, he begins to look into working extra hours and seeks ways that he might cut way back on his own desires which he fulfills only rarely anyway.   I'm learning to be silent in my economies and making cuts in ways that he seldom notes.  So I serve a meatless meal once a week and cut back on a purchase of some food item there or make do with my wardrobe pieces for a little bit longer or tweak how I use a product so that it's still effective but the cost per use is lessened.  It's the obvious lack of items we'd normally have or the very obvious economies he sees me making that disturb him unnecessarily.

I am not suggesting that my husband be kept in the dark about real shortfalls that cause a big strain on the budget.  He should be made aware of those and we ought to decide together what steps we'll take to overcome them but for my part, if I can make a series of small economies to overcome a minor shortfall rather than suggest he need work more hours or do something more, then that is what I shall do.  I shall do my part with  a smile, not a frown, silence rather than complaints and just get on with it.  Looking over the future budget this morning, I feel confident we can manage about as well as we do now, albeit with a decrease here and there and slightly less savings each month but certainly deprivation shouldn't be necessary and so I shall make clear to him when I show him this budget sheet work up.  What he wants to know is "Can I still provide for my household when I retire if I am unable to find a part time job?"  Yes, he can!

This long view of our future has made me more determined than ever to do my utmost to save and stockpile now.  I will be content living on the income we will have rather than the one I might wish we might have.

Monday:  I was up a wee bit earlier than planned this morning.   I'd thought I'd sleep in.  Maddie thought the school bus on the hill needed to be warned off.   It worked in my favor as I had penty of time to prep the breakfast and have a cup of coffee with Bible study before John came in.

I decided today would be my kitchen prep day for the week.  I know that I'll be busy the next few days and so only have the end of the week to get things done outdoors.  If meals are quick and easy and initial clearing up is done then I'm way ahead of the game.

I prepped a big package of a bit more than a pound and a half of ground venison into Swedish meatballs and a small meatloaf.  I cut chicken breast halves into four fillets.  I chopped vegetables to make egg rolls, meatloaf, coleslaw and mashed potatoes later in the week.  I got quite a lot done but not quite all I'd meant to do.  The egg roll filling is in the fridge where I put it after lunch before we went to pick up John's paycheck.  

I made the pinto beans for today.  There were a few leftover. I  used Rhonda's recipe for
refried beans ...But I didn't blend them.  I served them straight up and put the rest in the fridge (about 1 pint but I made less than Rhonda's recipe (about 1/3 her recipe).  I will blend the leftovers to make refried beans and fix bean burritos for the freezer.  I'll need tortillas...If I have time I might make them but I'll pick up some just in case when we are at market tomorrow.

I mended a sheet, a towel and a shirt pocket this morning.  I hadn't planned to do all this mending but it all seemed to suddenly present itself and I figured I'd just go right ahead and get it done.  Each repair saved quite a bit of work later on, prolonged the life of each item.
  
 Today while we were in his work county, I asked to go by CVS to pick up a few necessary items.  Necessary for me: eyeliner.  I ran out a few days ago and I've been using a wet brush with dry shadow...but none of my eye shadow is really dark enough.  I've also been longing for a new lip color to serve as a neutral.  My other reasons for going in were for two first aid items and a couple of over the counter remedies.   I failed to take in my phone which has my card display.  I had the clerk pull up my account via my phone number and so I was able to access the savings and earnings for the day.   I earned $13 in extra cash bucks and the register printed out a slew of coupons.  I haven't been getting the sales ads lately nor have we had coupons in the Sunday papers we've picked up so these sales and ECBs were a real blessing.  I picked up a gift card for our son, the last of the February birthdays for this year.  Now to get through the end of May/first half of June.

While I was in CVS, John called the local pizza place and ordered us a pizza for our supper.  He also surprised me with cinnamon sticks.   Now we have a funny sort of calorie control system built in to our lives these days.  We had a cinnamon stick then called Bess and we went up to deliver the sticks to them.  I'd wrapped a couple in paper towels to pass off to Bess on her way to work.   Glad I was prepared, as we met her in the roadway.   We saw the boys and Sam and met their new family member, a white bulldog mix called River Flash (I'm assuming Josh named her).  She is a lovely dog and was gentle in her greetings.  

I arranged a Shabat evening visit at our house with the boys before leaving the other household.  The boys were so happy to see us, however short a visit it might have been.  I think we're all getting easier with the fact that we are none of us  going to intrude on schedules and won't overstay our welcomes though we all enjoy longer visits at times.

Tuesday:  I have been on night watch since the weekend, sigh.  It comes and goes as I know too well, but it's apparently my turn to be on duty during the darkest watch of the night.  I am not worrying, but I do find there are certain thoughts that want to become worries.  I have learned to shut them off entirely and distract myself with videos, prayer and reading.  Usually after an hour two I am yawning and ready to go back to sleep until daylight breaks.  At least I am getting quite enough sleep even with these 'watches' thrown in at present.  And I did learn a new crochet stitch last night that I can almost execute now, lol, one that will actually net me a scarf or dishcloth (thank you Frances for that idea!).

John slept in a bit later and I slept in later still this morning, although I clearly heard the bus arrive at the head of the road this morning, yes and Sam's truck, too as he returned home once more.  However, I did go back to sleep and slept quite soundly.  I had slipped to the guest room about 4am or so this morning because last night's watch hours were longer than some and I was afraid my restiveness would awaken John who was sleeping hard.  He'd told me yesterday morning, after examining the retirement budget that he was satisfied we might make it, but in the meantime he's on mandatory overtime for at least one more month.  Oy.

I made us breakfast and unloaded the dishwasher and had my first cup of coffee all at the same time this morning.  My sleeping in threw me off schedule and pushed my plans to a little later hour.  Today was grocery day.

We did the bulk of our shopping at Aldi and while I said I needed only produce I found myself putting quite a few items into the buggy and the total showed the effects.  I was fully aware of what i was doing.  I stocked heavily on peaches, various long lived produce items as well as some that will require using right away (like that fully ripe Mango), added singles of items we have a goodly stock of already and bought two or three cuts of meat we'd normally bypass.  I knew I had extra money in the account this week and that I am quite hopeful I shall not have to purchase a thing else until end of March.  I feel sure we've adequate supplies in all areas now to keep us from making another major shopping trip for four weeks.  This too is part of my overall plan of living off retirement income.  I want to learn to do the bulk of my shopping once a month and only go into the stores if there are remarkable sales on pantry/freezer items.  I did not splurge at all on baked goods, sweets nor pricier meats like steak.

While in the grocery I picked up an extra bag of carrots for Sam and Bess.  Bess had called to ask to borrow carrots the day before and I knew that what I'd had was just enough for their immediate needs.  She told me I didn't have to buy them carrots and of course, I didn't...but I was standing rih there before them, and it was as easy to pick up one for my home and one for theirs.   I also picked up a couple of items for Katie's home, namely coffee and coffee creamer.

One thing I've learned with Aldi, their stock is never stagnant.  Last pay period there were no lentils in the store at all.  This week, they had brown, green and yellow lentils on the shelf.  I did note the price was exactly the same as at Publix last pay period, so no savings but I'll be sure to watch for them in the future.  I really like the texture of lentils and find it a good meat substitute in tacos and plan to make a lentil Bolognese sauce next week.

We went by Publix to pick up breads, a smaller jar of peanut butter to go into John's lunch (more in  a moment), cornmeal mix and fresh Brussels Sprouts.  I indulged in one of only two lunch meats we ever buy at the store these days, Boar's Head Beef Bologna.  I got just 1/4 pound which is sufficient for six to eight sandwiches for the two of us.

John was beginning to feel puckish, as we call that almost hungry but not yet raging appetite stage.  I recalled that I had free gift cards to Chick Fil A and suggested we drive a couple of miles out of our way to visit that eatery.  The cards were expiring the last day of this month.  I got free sandwiches for us both, bought unsweetened tea for myself, a cup of soda for John.  Our expense for lunch ended being $3 or so.  I had a couple of mandarins in my purse and we had those as our dessert.   All in all the meal was quite satisfying.

I got to see Josh briefly this afternoon.  He and his dad stopped by to pick up the carrots.  Sam had a work call come in while he was here and stepped outdoors.  Katie had arrived at the same time as Sam and Josh.  Josh, John, Katie and I were sitting at the dining room table chatting, when Katie asked if she might have the half bottle of Coke I'd left the day before.  This is my little trick to keep the carbs in line:  I buy 12 ounce bottles of soda and drink only 6 ounces which is more than sufficient when you pour it over ice.  I figure that in the early years 6 ounces was considered more than enough and so it likely still is...Anyway, Katie asked if she might have the rest, which prompted Josh to say right away that he would like a Coke as well.  We all knew his Dad would quickly veto that idea...and so did Josh, who gave up with out much fuss.   But that smart little boy meant to get a dig in about being vetoed.  He looked over at Katie a few moments later and said "That's a dark liquid...." and paused a bit,  then he added "and only dogs drink dark liquids!"    This amused Katie and I a great deal.   Sam came in just as Josh was finishing his statement and was sure we were mistaken in thinking he'd said 'only dogs' but Josh made sure his dad knew that was indeed exactly what he'd meant.

Since we'd had a smaller lunch today (although it was good), I planned to cook Swedish Meatballs tonight.   I served them with mashed potatoes (less carbs than noodles would have been) and opened that jar of Lingonberry.  The taste is quite good, something close to a sweet berry and tart cranberry combined in flavor, although the berries are smaller than cranberries.  I told John I could happily eat that on my morning toast as well, though it's not very sweet.  I'm glad to put that pantry item to good use.  I may never buy it again, but I shall be able to say I've given it a try and found it tasty.

I put a portion of food aside for my dinner this weekend when I shall be on my own again.

Wednesday:  Sent John off to work in the usual way...Then I did Bible study and started a full load of dishes washing.  After that I went to make the bed, but I was a little chilly and my headached, so I crawled into the bed and promptly went to sleep and slept hard for two full hours.  I must have really needed that added rest!

I had to hurry up to get ready to go pick up Kate so we could visit with Mama today...but I'm glad I got that bit of sleep.

My turn to pay for dinner today and it does seem to hit hard.  I suggested when we got back to Mama's today that we've had two visits now, with each of us paying for the meal in turns, that we'd had a pricey sort of February and let's see if we can't find less expensive meal options for March days out.

Stopped by Dollar General to get lightbulbs.  The light in the lamp by my chair blew the other day and all we had were cfl  and low wattage LED bulbs which cast a bluish light.  I picked up some lightbulbs today in a warm soft white 72w LED.  Much better.  Now I don't feel I'm sitting next to a dimmed light, so it's nicer to read and work by.

I feel the week has quickly gone away from me  and nothing of the tasks I'd meant to accomplish have gotten done.  I knew the week would be busier.  I did.  I just hoped I'd slip in a bit more work than I've done but there's really been no time.  I hope to accomplish more tomorrow and Friday before the boys arrive for their visit so I have something to show for the week beyond a refrigerator full of  prepped foods.

Thursday:  I was so disgusted at what I hadn't done thus far this week that last night after writing that last bit, I got myself up out of my comfy chair and commanded me to work.  I made myself a  quick supper of yogurt with the last of the homemade granola.  That granola had gotten quite dry and so I let it soften in the yogurt a bit.  While that was happening, I unloaded the dishwasher and swept the floor.

When I unload the dishwasher, I put everything away immediately.  I tend to take things out according to where they go: baking center/good plastics/jars, recycled plastics, glasses/cups, plates/bowls, pots and pans, frying pans and casseroles.   So if I have a measuring cup or two and a glass jar and one of my bought plastic containers, I'd gather them all at one time and then carry them to the baking center and put away.  This is a lot quicker way of putting away dishes than it sounds.  my last task is always to empty out the flatware into the little glass pitcher on the counter where it sits.

After I ate my granola supper, I hauled myself up out of my chair again and went into the bedroom where I put away the clothes I'd left lying about.  I'm usually quite good about putting things away right away, but I hadn't done so Monday nor Tuesday evening and there I was with Wednesday's clothing out as well.  I hung Wednesday's clothes to air but put the other two days of clothes into the closet.  I took time to piece a couple of more outfits to replace the two I'd worn the last few days.

Back to the kitchen.  I took out all I needed to assemble the egg rolls and got 15 of those rolled and put into the oven to bake.  By the way, the egg roll wrappers I'd bought a few months ago and failing to use them by the best by date, I'd tossed them into the freezer.  I thawed in the fridge and they held up just fine except for the two on top which had splits.   I was able to use one of those but had to toss the other as it was far too fragile to even think of filling.

With the egg rolls baking, I took out cheese and the pinto beans I'd cooked on Monday and the tortillas I'd bought on Tuesday and went to work rolling bean burritos for the freezer.  I filled 7 or 8 (can't remember just now) tortillas.  I shredded the rest of the block of cheese and filled the last tortillas with cheese for quesadilla.  I wrapped all these items separately in waxed paper and then stowed them in baggies and popped into the freezer.

I removed the egg rolls from the oven while they were still a little soft so they can withstand a bi more baking to become good and crisp when we reheat them.  I left those to cool on a rack and popped them into the freezer to freeze overnight.  I bagged them this morning.   And with that task done and the kitchen cleared up, I said "Good enough," as a day's output of tasks and watched a couple of favored programs on Netflix.  Speaking of which I really really need to stop watching The Great British Bake Off Master Class at night.  It does things to my appetite!

This morning, I rose at my usual hour.   I'd planned breakfast out in my head last night: Blueberry muffins, sausage and boiled eggs.  I grated a bit of lemon zest into my muffins.  It's so delicious with the berries!

John and I had one of our discussions this morning...not that kind, but the sort where we've been thinking separately without speaking to the other but we're both on the same page.  I mentioned to you all my desire to set aside income now for those days when retirement does hit.  John said to me this morning, "If it's at all possible, while I'm working some overtime, I'd really like to see you set aside some extra money, but not neglect the sub accounts."   Ha!  My thoughts exactly.  I suggested we start a new bank account at a different bank and make a monthly deposit there.  I then announced that I'd set aside a small amount last month, and our tax refund and a portion this pay period and we could make a sizeable deposit right away as soon as he determines which bank he wishes to go to.  Then, since I knew us to be in agreement,  I made myself a little growth chart and felt rather smug at marking out that first rung on the ladder...

I spent the rest of the morning puttering about the house doing little jobs, going over our bank statement and making adjustments as needed to our account, and doing the last bit of dinner prep.  It was a most excellent start to the day and I felt well rewarded to have time this afternoon to troll about on Pinterest since it rained this morning and early afternoon which pretty much ended my idea of working in shed or on porches.  Tomorrow, perhaps.

Friday:  March is here.  It came in not roaring, but with a loud growl of thunder and rain.  Thunder makes the rain seem spring-like somehow.  And so despite the cloudy sky outdoors, it also seems lighter and brighter than the gloomy cold winter rains have been.   I suppose this feeling of spring is as much because the birds have been fairly screaming with excitement since yesterday.  I've waited for that noisy intro to a day for the past few weeks, knowing that it would  be coming soon.  Today was the day.  It seems fitting to say we're on the cusp of a new season given the sounds.

There are fat buds swelling on the Sweet Gum at the back corner of the house, but hardly a raised bump on the branches of the Sweet Gum at the driveway's edge.  I am always  curious at how individually the like species of trees grow, even as children do.  Josh was still very much a baby looking boy at two but Isaac has shades of nine and sixteen and twenty-five in his two year old face, all fleeting across as his expression changes and then he is two again, but definitely a little boy and not a baby at all.

Today is an easy day.  The housework is done, the clothes continuing to dry in our heavy humidity from their washing yesterday.  I have only to fold them later in the morning when they complete their drying.  Dinner is going to be fairly easy.  Tonight is Shabat, a time I look forward to a great deal each week.  Supper will be pancakes, with bacon for the boys and likely mild sausage or fried Turkey Spam for John and I.  I've tried to give the boys turkey bacon but it's a bit thick and chewy for them.  I'll put a bit of bacon by in the freezer for another visit but send the rest home with them tonight.

I guess you know by now that Josh and Isaac will be here tonight with us.  Josh loves Shabat for itself, but Isaac has only just begun to love it.  For him, it's all about blowing out that candle, which he decided he was big enough to do last time I had them here for Shabat.

It's been a week of gentle easy work and family.  All in all a lovely week, despite the night watches, which seemingly ended as of last night.  Somehow, this too gives me hope that a new season is coming upon us.  May it be so.

Come and tell us of your week, your savings, your triumphs and your struggles too.  Join in.

13 comments:

Dawn said...

Do you just use any filling recipe for your egg rolls? I was thinking today about trying to bake homemade eggs rolls as we eat very little fried foods. Do you spray them with oil prior to baking?

Lana said...

For ten or more years I have used fragrance free Lubriderm for a facial moisturizer. I often get compliments on my skin so I am sticking with this very thrifty choice.

As far as I know when John pulls social security you will be required to also if you are 62 or older. You will receive 50 percent of what John gets unless you can get more through your own work credits.

Carolyn said...

I love your idea of making burritos for freezing and reheating later. How do you reheat them? When I’ve done them in the microwave the tortilla hardens when heated thru enough for the filling to be sufficiently warm. Do you wrap in a damp paper towel before microwaving? Or use oven? Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

HiTerri!
Such a cozy and encouraging read! Josh's comment about dark liquids was hilarious...and precocious! He's got a lot of personality it seems!
I have to comment on your description of Isaac.
"....Isaac has shades of nine and sixteen and twenty-five in his two year old face, all fleeting across as his expression changes and then he is two again, but definitely a little boy and not a baby at all."
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about here. I used to see flickers of this in my Katie when she was growing up. I've never heard / read another person express this...and you just did so perfectly! Your writing is so lovely.
This week has been frugal but only because I have been down with a sort of cold/flu all week. Just when I thought I was around the bend it hit me harder. I just went into hibernation with lots of liquids, tissues and the like. Good news is I'm feeling much more like myself today! I did laundry and cleaned up some messes that had piled up and am treating myself with a little visit with you as I catch my breath!
I'm off now for part two of my small to-do list today. As always, thanks so much for the great read!
Love,
Tracey
Xox
Lo

Lana said...

Another thought about SS that we learned by going to a retirement class at Husband's old employer is that you can retire any time after 62. Every day after 62 that you work adds more to your benefit. We had always thought it was retire at 62 or wait til full retirement age.It is somewhat different here since Hubby is on SS disability.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lana that you will get half of what John gets for Social Security payments. Yes you can start S.S. at any time after 62 in our age bracket. They changed the ages a while ago for the younger people that are still working. Depending on your date of birth I think. I know of people that put of starting S.S. for a couple years to have more per month but it ended up with only a few more dollars in what they got per month. Ask them what the difference will be..is it worth the wait? There are rules as to how much money you can make while on S.S. up to a certain age. So that has to be checked on. After a certain age {70?) then you can make all you can without any problems. I know we have always watched out spending like you two have. Now into retirement we are doing very well. We can't go to Europe every year but then we never wanted to anyway! But we do all the usual things we love plus have few worries about money. It is wonderful!! Sarah

Kay said...

So many similarities... Night watches or more for me, night "glows" and leg cramps and now a cough.

Babysitting with our littlests as the parents (our DS2 & DDiL) try to finish up renovations on their new-to-them house. There was a problem with the new living room flooring so it's been a stressful time. That and babies not liking having the house in chaos while painting was going on and now Sis has been sick this week and not sleeping. Poor Mom & Dad.

Winter will not let go of Nebraska and snow is in the forecast for the next 2 weekends and still bitterly cold. We've started calving and it's a concern. But Father God owns these cattle along with the rest on a 1000 hills so we pray and let His will be done.

Pantry shopping. We went to the city on Wed to get grocery shopping done before the weather turned tonight. When I was putting it all away I realized again that we have too much food! So I'll be gleaning out the soon to expire for the kids & food pantries. I said no more shopping except for very, very good deals, dairy & produce. The only thing I can think we need of dry goods is Farmer's favorite canned baked beans. And they probably won't go on sale until closer to Memorial Day.

I've been trying to get down to the basement sewing room for weeks and weeks but between getting taxes done and babysitting and helping Farmer shop for a new-to-us planter and multiple church meetings (I"m on the church council); I have not had time. I am too mentally weary to go down in the evenings so hope for Saturday or Sunday. I have a little girl's birth quilt to make before she turns 1 in April and I need to find ideas for the new baby sister that is coming in June (I know!!)

Needless to say, we are busy-busy-busy here. Tonight found us exhausted so supper was salads & toast and Farmer is asleep in his chair and I will be in bed before too long.
Please send spring up to us. Please. :)

Lana said...

Sarah, for us it amounted to about $100 more per month for each additional year that Hubby worked. Now he will switch from disability to SS at his full retirement age no matter what we would choose to do. We are blessed to have disability as it would be a stretch for him to work even two hours a day.

terricheney said...

Dawn, I use a steamed finely chopped cabbage, onion, celery and carrot shreds mixed with garlic, ginger, and just a splash of soy sauce. I drain it well then chill it well, too. Then I assemble my eggrolls and bake them on a sprayed aluminum foil covered pan (or use parchment) and spray the rolls with the oil spray as well. I usually bake about 20 minutes initially, then let them thaw and reheat in a medium oven for 20 minutes or microwave for two minutes.

Lana and Sara, I am five years younger than John. Officially he can retire at 66 but he's holding off until 67 (this week, last week it was 70, lol), his plans being that I'll be 62 when he does retire so that I can draw medicare and reduce my insurance costs and earn a bit of social security as well.

Tracey, Isn't it funny how some children just seem to carry that flickering of future selves in them and others do not? I do hope you are feeling better dear and not overdoing as you continue to recover. I have learned, despite John's urging to 'work it off like circus folks' to give in to the need to rest and restore rather than pushing harder and harder to overcome illness.

Kay, For me sewing is relaxing but also intensive as once I start a project I hate to quit it, and if I do leave one, I have to find that creative mojo to continue it all over again. Congratulations on the coming new grandbaby. Josh says that he thinks "It's a good thing to go to Grampa and Gramma's house."

Carolyn, I think the mistake most of us make in frozen burritos is that we pop them in the microwave and expect them to both thaw and to heat through and you're right, it doesn't happen without the tortilla going hard. If you need them soon, then reheat wrapped in foil in the oven. If you can plan ahead, remove them and allow them to thaw and then heat in the microwave.

Karen said...

You can’t draw Medicare until 65.

Lana said...

Just about to say what Karen said. I will be insured through May 2020 through my husband's ex employer and then I will be without insurance for 4 years. Not a thing can be done about it. Because of choices our state made per Obamacare it is $800 a month for insurance for me.

Karen in WI said...

It sounds like you have another productive, lovely week Terri! I am so with you about getting out of that comfy chair and doing a day’s worth of work. I find myself just wanting to get a lot of physical rest and with it being snowy and cold outside, I am sitting in my chair in the parlor with a cup of coffee mid-afternoons and that tends to stretch too long. It’s just so lovely to sit, ponder, pray, and rest. Well, I am making hard goals this week as I must get the kitchen fully deep cleaned and then hopefully I can move on to a few more rooms before the weather gets nice and garden and yard work starts up again.

I pondered over your thoughts about being content on what your husband is bringing in and being silent when you think of voicing a complaint. It slipped out today that I would like to take some herbal medicine classes to further my knowledge and our home apothecary, but with my husband’s cut in pay, as he is self-employed now, that isn’t an option. As soon as it came out, I felt bad. My husband has worked so hard (too hard and too many hours most of our marriage) and switching to self-employment was something he has wanted to do. And he is happier. I must remember to be quiet about such things. We are meeting all of our needs and wants enough. I know that his business will build in the future. We had a talk about how our house is at the point of needing a new roof, siding, and both the furnace and AC are original to the house so that will be coming up in the future too. We replaced half our windows last year and have the other half to go. It was NOT the time for me to voice a want that would make my husband feel that he isn’t providing well enough. Lesson learned and I appreciate your thoughts on that greatly. Congrats to you and your husband on being on track for retirement.

We have been fighting a bit of a cold at our house this week and I ran out of my homemade elderberry syrup (I follow the recipe from Mountain Rose Herbs blog). We love this syrup as it does seem to help cut the cold short. I read that the elderberry does something to our cell’s lining that prevent the cold virus from replicating. Anway, dried elderberries must be very popular because I had a hard time finding them to buy and they are pricier than what I paid before. I have been thinking about adding elderberry bushes to my garden so that I have my own supply and have put this on my garden goal list for next spring.

I have been making some of my own beauty products and I make what I refer to as body butter, but can also be used on the face (my mother and father love it as face cream). I use 4 oz. shea butter, 4 oz coconut oil, 4 oz cocoa butter, and 4 oz of sweet almond oil. I melt it all down and pour it into my mixer bowl with a few drops of chosen essential oil (lavender, geranium, frankincense) and then pop it in the freezer for about 50 minutes until it’s almost hard. Then I put my whisk attachment on my mixer and whip it up. It whips up wonderfully, like whip cream. I use this on my body, as a hair conditioner the night before I wash it, and as a face cream. Just a suggestion if you are looking for cream for your face. I believe it is more economical than Clinique. If your coconut oil is liquid down there in the south this time of year, you will need to put more of a solid in as the ratio is usually 3 parts solid to 1 part liquid oil.

Well, I have been chatty this evening. I’m off to bed. I plan on getting a walk in tomorrow, make progress on my kitchen deep clean, hem up yet another boy’s pair of pants, and I need to make more homemade healing salve and possibly, if there is time, a batch of soap. I hope your shabat was restful. Hugs to you!

terricheney said...

Karen and Lana, I did not mean to say so that I could draw medicare, but social security. As to whether or not I have insurance in those years I think I may be able to afford it through Affordable Health Care. Our state program is fairly reasonable.

Karen In WI Perhaps you can find some online sources for herbal/oil classes that are free or affordable or get books from library loan etc? But yes, I do get you on realizing after you've said something how it might sound to another. Our roof is fairly new...The motor on our AC is new but the unit itself is now ten years old. We still need to do windows and under skirting on the house. However, washer, dryer, dishwasher are all rocking on 22 years and the fridge and stove are over 10 years old as well. Our cars 13 and 14 years old...You know all of those will need to be replaced over the next few years. I've been very blessed that they are all lasting so long.

Thrifty Thursday: Try Harder