The Week Ahead: Prudence


 

“As we have been continuously counseled for more than 60 years, let us have some food set aside that would sustain us for a time in case of need. But let us not panic nor go to extremes. Let us be prudent in every respect.”
Gordon B. Hinckley

I found the above quote on Frugal Measures blog for last week.  It's the last part of the little blurb that really hit me had "But let us not panic nor go to extremes.  Let us be prudent in every respect."  There are times when I worry about what I'm not doing with my pantry/freezer storage, and there are times when I feel very much that I am okay where I am, that much more would feel like hoarding, something which I very much do not want to do.  I want to be able to reasonably use my food storage to carry us over tight spots and rough patches, or to carry a family member over such spots, but I confess that in watching those extreme couponing shows I shy away hard at the number of items people with small families stockpile.





This year I've added three bins to my pantry storage, all big rectangular boxes with a foam seal around the lids of each in which I  safely store dry goods, previously a problem area for my pantry for some time.  I had the 5 gallon buckets but frankly found them impractical for use unless contents were emptied into them from original packaging.  With the hermetically sealed bins I can store in packaging, which in my mind preserves the integrity of the product.   The bins are deep enough they allow me to layer items in them.  Best of all, the bins stack one atop the other.  I keep the heaviest items on the bottom (flour/sugar) and lighter items in the upper boxes.

Do I feel my food storage is complete?  No, I don't.  I can easily name off a dozen items I don't have in my pantry that I think are necessary items.  I would like to expand some of the items I know we could store in larger numbers.  I want to add another smaller (narrower) shelfing unit to the closet and perhaps another bin or two, but I do not feel that adding and filling these would make our storage excessive.

I would very much like to have my storage in the freezer better organized, and by that I mean flatter packaging that promotes more efficient usage of space.  I often do not take time to try to freeze items flat but I should.  Flat packets stack neatly in baskets.  They thaw quicker and more easily.  Of course, there are things that won't freeze flat like a whole chicken or turkey breast but just think of how much more I could put in that freezer if I did freeze all that I could in flat packets.

My grandmother always bought those little waxed boxes and filled small plastic bags with her vegetables and fruit that she stored, then placed the bags in the boxes.  They were the size of the 10 ounce boxes you might still buy today in some instances.  She stacked these neatly into her freezer.   Grandmama's flaw was that she started at one end of the freezer and pulled out whatever was there, so they ate first a continuous supply of peas and then butterbeans, etc...or so my mother tells me.  However, I think she was very wise to make good use of her deep freeze in such a way  and I imagine she was able to store a great deal more in hers than I have done in mine.  Worth thinking about...

Let us move on and look at what I got done last week and what I plan for the week ahead.

The week behind:

Groceries, errands, day out with Mama, routine housework were all done.  Zone work didn't get touched.  I've not actually made a list of jobs to attend to in each zone for March, but have made mental notes about things that I think should be done about the house, if I didn't do them immediately (mending).

I learned to crochet.  I haven't touched it in a couple of days but I will.  I don't mean to start it and then put it away.

We ate every single meal on the menu this week.  Every one.

I 've made my way through all but one of the vintage March magazines, and culled the very worst ones.  I went through a few of the GLH books and culled a few and set some aside to read that I think I may want to keep.

I read through the archives of Laine's Letters and Legacy of Home by Mrs. Sharon White.

In the  week ahead...

Work:  
Zone:  Living room/Dining Room/ Front Entry

Aside from a slightly deeper cleaning of the room I'd like to dust the blinds and run the curtains through the dryer on air setting to pull dust from them.

I also mean to push John to do something about the nest of defunct satellite cables in the corner next to the tv.  They serve no purpose at all.  His excuse last week was that there would then be a hole in the floor.  I've steel wool and extra carpet which I'm perfectly willing to cut to fill that stupid hole.

I am still looking for a wreath or something for the front door.  I know I have things in the shed, but I'm longing for a fresh look.  I've been pinning plenty of ideas.  This week I'd really like to do.

I'm going to try to pin John down to a decision about which bank he wants to use for our new account.

I have a long list of shopping I really should do.  I've about narrowed down what clothing I need  for the months ahead.  Bras top the list.  I do consider shopping work because I must channel my attention to stay focused upon what's on my list and not get distracted by all the lovely but very unnecessary items.

A meal prep day which is to include making Shabat bread.

Work out a pretty arrangement for the table between mine and John's chairs.  Honestly the living room is so close to being done but I've done nothing in that one spot because we use the table.  Part of the problem is that by the time you put on the table the  remote, a glass, a coffee cup and the lamp it appears crowded and cluttered and there's no room for pretties, but I'm sure if I work at it I'll find something that will work...and I'll just have to be vigilant about making sure it continues to look as nice as the rest of the room.



Pick up sticks.  The lawn has grown by leaps and bounds.  Well the spring weeds in the lawn have grown anyway and it's looking fairly shabby.  I know that John will be wanting to mow sooner rather than later, so this is a must.

Meals:

on my own x 3

Roast Whole Chicken, Roasted Vegetables, Spring Salad, Chocolate Cream Pie

Stuffed Peppers, Mashed Potatoes, Butter Beans, Cornbread Muffins

Chili Pineapple Chicken, Rice, Broccoli

Lentil Bolognese, Garlic  Toast, Green Salad

Leisure:

Have a spa day.

I am reading The Dean's Watch with the Elizabeth Goudge book club.  Chapters 1-4 this week.  I'm looking forward to participating in this discussion.

I have a big stack of books by my chair, some I'm reading, some I want to read.  Obviously reading is my big leisure activity this week!

Make a crocheted dishcloth.  Add to my yo yo stash.

Work on my genealogy notebooks.  I really do want to pursue this routinely and not just now and then.  I have a real desire to tell a story with the work I've done and to get to know the eras and the families and their neighbors, etc.

16 comments:

Lana said...

I bought a spinning caddy for my end table that corals everything from remotes to my Kindle, notepaper, pen, small scissors, etc. I love it because everything looks tidy and I stopped knocking things on the floor.

Rhonda said...

Hi Terri,
I like that quote too. You know I like to stock up too, and i continually reevaluate how much of different items is wise to keep on hand,
Since we don’t the future, it’s all a guessing game. But I’m still going to keep doing it

Anonymous said...

Could you show us what your new rectangle storage bins look like. ? Did you get them to corral things or hoping to keep them good and fresh? I have a metal shelf unit I use. The shelves are far enough apart to be able to h old those old plastic milk crates. They are taller and bigger than the new plastic organizers. I use them like drawers on the bottom shelf of it. One to hold all pasta and such, another for spice jars and all small things in some other containers and teas, jello and such. They slide in and out of the shelf easily and keep things together. Three fit perfectly on the one shelf. They would also work on a lower shelf to keep things canned in glass safe and together. I am always open to new ideas and interested in your new boxes. :) I love having a pantry and am too often tweeting and changing the things we keep. No one knows what could happen in our lives but it is a comfort to keep basics here at home.

I really enjoy your decorating ideas and thoughts. It keeps me thinking too!! I recently was looking for something new for the door and got out a basket that had its the backside flat and a handle so I filled it with flowers and tied it on the screen door and it looks so pretty. One thing down and ??? more to go!! :-) Sarah

Tammy said...

After the pantry/freezer challenge in January (which I feel I failed miserably), I have not re-stocked shelves with dry goods. The shelving needs to be switched out - the larger units in the office will be switched with the smaller units in the sunroom where I currently store appliances and kitchen tools. Then I can move pantry storage to those from the laundry room where it will be easier for me to reach.
We're still getting snow, and wind chills today and tomorrow will be in the -25 to -30°F range. No warm temps in sight for a couple of weeks. Trying to not let it get to me, spring will come eventually.

terricheney said...

Rhonda, I think I see more comments that make me feel those stocking up are bordering on hoarding so to see such a sensible statement really caught my attention. I know that you also supply your kids out of your supplies as I have out of mine. Like you I am also re-evaluating what I have and why I have it. It's funny that I am so susceptible to suggestion in stocking what others store...when we don't even eat it. I do believe that I am getting this brought round to our needs though.

Sarah, if you do a search for Hefty or Ziploc storage bins you will find those that have the foam insulation ring for sealing. I may be wrong to call them hermetically sealed but they aren't like all other storage boxes with a semi loose top either. The boxes have latches and they really do seal well. So now I feel rather comfortable adding boxes of cereal and crackers and such into my storage area since they are protected from any pests that might want to infiltrate them.

Tammy, I was just thinking of switching some things from the pantry closet into our bedroom closet and make my guest closet fully pantry. Oh the work my mind can generate for me to do! lol

Sue said...

If the storage box is clear with 6 blue latches and a blue foam gasket, it's by Ziploc and it's called "Weather Shield Box." 60 quart is the largest size; they also make 16, 26.5, and 44 quart sizes.

Size of a 60-quart box is: 23.6 inches (L) x 17.75 inches (W) x 11.22 inches (H)

Hope this helps!

Mable said...

I have some WWII British cookbooks, Terri. I am going to clear a few out and if you are interested in having them email me with your address. I am happy to send them off to you. Don't worry about the postage, as they are light and I will send them slow boat.

terricheney said...

Mabel that would be lovely. I can't access your email. Mine is teaccheney@gmail.com. If you will contact me via that address I will reply with my mailing address.

Chef Owings said...

I have been working on what to keep stocking and what not to in the pantry also. I know what we eat in a year so the guide I use it to not have more than 2 yrs food.... probably pretty good since we just lost 6 mos of income due to a mistake of Hubby's of not getting complete information about a trailer he bought

Karen in WI said...

Good morningTerri! Chocolate cream pie on your menu sounds divine. I made pineapple upside down cake for Sunday dinner and the boys really liked it. Can’t believe I haven’t made it for them before. It sure does sound like spring has arrived by you with mowing the lawn arriving on the list. I am very much looking forward to sitting on my porch in the morning with coffee and Bible. Enjoy some fresh air and sunshine for us northern gals!

My pantry is doing okay and recently I have been trying to do a full inventory of freezers and pantry at least every 3 weeks, before I do meal planning. It helps to use what we have first and reminds me of odd things in the freezers. I do have to concentrate on stockpiling a few household cleaning goods. I think I will try to order 12 months’ worth when I find a good price on them so that way I can just check it off my list for quite a while.

I looked up the blog, Legacy of Home and I am enjoying it. Thank you! I hope you have a lovely start to your week!

terricheney said...

Sue, I have one box that was made by Hefty, two that seem to be generic but yes, there are also Ziploc brand ones as well which have that seal and they do come in various sizes from shoe box to 60 quart bins.

Karen this pie recipe was quite simple really, from the 1980's and was a variation of several recipes introduced over several summer months by Cool Whip. I'll post the recipe later this week, it's quite simple really and needs few ingredients. I'm so happy you're enjoying Legacy of Home blog.

Juls, isn't it funny how we keep changing up how we eat? The Church of Latter Day Saints recommends that families keep a current home 'notebook' of recipes to use their foodstorage items. I'm trying to keep that in mind, too as I stock: what do we eat, how often and how likely is this to last us etc.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I heard about some tornado activity in your state on the news. I hope you and all of your family are safe.

It was 2 degrees here this morning when I woke up and there is snow on the ground, but at least the sun is out. I am winter worn.

I only have a small stash of emergency food. My husband seems to think that it is a waste of space and money, so I work extras of various canned goods in where I can. and usually he never even notices. He did notice though last year when he was doing the cooking for a while when I was recovering from knee replacement surgery. Every time he went to the cabinets for something it was, "What do you have all of these cans of this for?, Why are there so many cans of that?" I try to have extra canned goods that need little cooking and last a long time on the shelf. I also like the foil packs (though expensive) of tuna, salmon, and chicken.

I probably have surgery upcoming on my second knee this coming June, until after I recover from that we won't have very much emergency levels of extras on hand.

terricheney said...

Susie, It's funny that husbands want to have a say on our food storage/gardening etc even if they are not particularly interested. However, it does us well to try and listen and be aware to both our own instinct and theirs. Balance! lol I hope you will get your flowers planted prior to surgery this year.

Debby in Kansas said...

My husband never says a word about the stocked pantry....probably because he's seen my frustration when I run out of something and I have to backshift in the middle of dinner prep!!

Having a stocked pantry is such a good thing. For some reason, we went through our fridge food fast this month and we've been relying on the pantry and freezer for the past few days. Worse, we have a majorly busy weekend coming up and there will be no time for a trip to Aldi. I've been planning some menus in my head based on what's in there, plus any bits that can be picked up quickly at the dairy. Our fridge looks downright anemic!! I'm going to need to do some better planning for March. I even ran out of sour cream, cottage cheese, & yogurt, which rarely happens. Maybe one, but never all three!

I can't believe that I'm going to voice these words that I thought I'd never speak....I'm tired of winter! I despise being hot so I've always welcomed Autumn & winter like old friends and basked in them. Not this year. I don't know if it's been colder than normal or what, but I feel like I haven't been warm in ages. I saw a projected 61 in our forecast for next Sat. and I nearly wept!! Now, I want you all to remind me of this miserable cold when I gripe about the July heat, okay?!

Have a good week, all!

terricheney said...

Debby in Kansas, You made me laugh. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the extra information on the storage boxes Terri. Also I want to thank you again for having the search part of your blog. I looked up several things this past month again. You are one of only a few bloggers that have that feature. Down to Earth does but only a few others. It is a Big help. So thoughtful of you to include it. Sarah