Worth Sharing This Week: Random Things




I don't usually share our church service but I really enjoyed my Pastor's take on Jonah's story this week.  Maybe because he shared some similar thoughts to my own: that some people are only meant to be in our life for a season.  I've always felt that myself and being a cultivator (To Everything there is a season...), I had long ago grasped this.  I know it's not everyone's thoughts but Pastor Yarborough brought home why it should be so in a way that I'd never been able to express.

I've shared often how inspiring I find the quotes on Becky's Frugal Measures blog.  This from a couple of weeks ago is simple but full of truth:  "Bad days come to an end." Jeffrey R. Holland
But it's what she said after that really filled me with inspiration:
Eventually we will get through this. We will be stronger. Hopefully you will have found a better you and more compassion and love for others.
Surely an "Amen!" should follow that statement.

From Gossip From Thrush GreenIn far too many places in England today, the agreeable habit of taking afternoon tea has vanished.
"Such a shocking waste of time," says one.
"Much too fattening a meal with all that dreadful starch," says another.
"Quite unnecessary, if one has had lunch or proposes to eat in the evening," says a third.

All very true, no doubt, but what a lot of innocent pleasure these strong minded people are missing!  The very ritual of tea-making, warming the pot, making sure the water is just boiling, inhaling the fragrant steam, arranging the tea-cosy to fit snugly around the precious container, all the preliminaries lead up to the exquisite pleasure of sipping the brew from thing porcelain, and helping oneself to hot buttered scones and strawberry jam, a slice of feather-light sponge cake or home-made shortbread.

Taking tea is a highly civilized pastime...

Thank you, Miss Read!  I read this on a chilly rainy morning and could imagine the lovely heat and scent of hot tea as I sat in a car at an appointment...It was as good as having a cup right there with me!


Another short and sweet post this week...  

3 comments:

Mable said...

I heard this comment in a movie the other day: people will come into your life and leave, and all you will ever have again is that shared memory. I've thought about that several times.

terricheney said...

I like that Mable...It is very thought provoking!

Debbie V. said...

Just thinking of a hot cub of tea fills me with peace. I've read all of Miss Read's books and they are precious.
Do you have a favorite tea? So far my favorite is the black tea Lapsang Souchong - some people do not like it at all. I describe it as a camp fire in a tea cup.