The Homemaker Plans Her Week: As the Dust Settles


Things have finally started to slow down, and we've worked into a routine of sorts.  It's working for us for now and hopefully will be doable until the end of October.  So, I'm going to return to a loose plan this week and next week when the new month begins, I will do as I've always done and plan in Zone work and all that good stuff.  For this week, I just want to re-introduce some form of routine back into my home keeping. 


It feels good to even think of routine after the month we've had.  Almost normal, but not in so many ways.  Another 'new normal'.  It's my considered opinion that we've had far too many 'new normal' events in our lives.

Never mind.  Here I am, attempting to plan once more.

Meals:  

I've not been in the habit of starting my week with meal plans, but it's become necessary this month.  I pick Caleb up from nursery three nights.  It pays me in peace and calm, if I have ready prepared food that requires only reheating when I arrive at his home.  I've learned my lessons over the past few weeks.

So, two days a week I make meals after lunch for that evening.  Then I pack them up to go with us when we leave the house.  Those two meals must be free of dairy and cheese for Caleb's sake.  Hearty enough to satisfy John and me.  Usually, I try to plan meals that will also stretch to feed Katie.  Even if she doesn't eat it that night, it's an easy meal for her to reheat and have the next night, one less thing for her to think about when she comes home.

I did say I cook three meals for Caleb.  As a gift to myself, and because he's just almost three and at that age, I make a simple meal on Friday nights of hot dogs, fruit and chips.

Roast Beef and Veggies, Peach Salad, Muffins   I plan to start this in the morning and hope it's done shortly after we get back from church.

Alpine Swiss Chicken, Baked Sweet Potato, Cranberry Sauce   A slow cooker meal that we love, especially this time of year.  I have one Sweet Potato but it's HUGE, so I think we'll have plenty.

Brandy's Black Bean Burgers, Mexican Rice, Tomato and Lettuce Salad   I really like these bean burgers and didn't get to make them as planned earlier in the month.

Roast Beef Hash, Green Beans, Sliced Apples   This is an 'if' meal.  If I have leftover roast beef.  Otherwise, I'll probably come up with something made of hamburger meat.

Soup, Cornbread   I've got a couple of containers of odds and ends I've been freezing this month.  I'll make soup with that plus any excess broth from cooking the roast and all the vegetables I can lay my hands upon.

Hot Dogs/Brats, Chips, canned fruit or fresh   I know I haven't enough hot dogs to go around for all three of us (Katie declines this meal every single time), but I do have Beef Brats I can make for John and me.

Kitchen: 

I make bread every single week, usually on Friday morning.  This week I'll mix a batch early in the week to make burger and hot dog buns.  I've been doing a little sweet baking for the past few weeks which John seems to appreciate.  We've had a squash pie, Ranger cookies, Tapioca pudding and most recently an apple cake.  I'll make something this week as well.  I haven't planned what that something will be just yet.  

Work: 

I've been keeping up with housework and in a really loose way, I've worked in zones all month long but not a lot extra has been accomplished.  I don't expect to finish the month off strong, but I do expect to finish it.

This week, I will be making lists for next month: Christmas shopping list, pantry stocking, inventory over the counter, personal care items, and cleaning supplies that we might need.

Move funds over to the freezer fund.   Call the local appliance store to see if they have a freezer in stock and what it might cost.  I doubt it's less costly, but delivery might be less.  We'll see.

John and I both need haircuts.  I hope I can get him to go on and get one.

Plant a few of the plants I've had uprooted for far too long.

Perhaps bring home a few more landscape blocks from the town house, or bricks, anything that will promote work on flower bed borders here at home.

Spend a set amount of time each day in each room of the house and declutter for that amount of time.  

Personal Care:  



Note I didn't say leisure.  I haven't read a book in three weeks.  I don't even look at all of the vlogs I've got on my subscriptions list.  I'm not in a place where I am actively looking for leisure activities at this time.  But I am trying to take care of myself.

Moisturize following showers.

Fresh pedicure.

Set up wardrobe for October.

Choose a book and start to read once again.


1 comment:

terricheney said...

Yes. I just found it in my spam folder. I'll read through it here shortly. Thank you!