Update

 

I'll keep this brief because I am emotional and weary.

Katie's boyfriend is stable but still in ICU.  

Katie says he's "Ow" a few times and a couple of other words we shall not repeat.  It's allowed as far as I'm concerned. 

I don't know at this time how much I can or should share about his injuries, prognoses, etc., because of other circumstances but suffice it to say that your prayers for him are so appreciated, and I ask please that you keep them coming.


Katie is trying to balance work, being with her boyfriend, get some rest and see Caleb but there's not enough time or energy or brain to go around, as you might well imagine. 

In the meantime, I am doing all I can to help, as is Bess.  That is not to say Sam and John aren't, but that the bulk of what can be done falls upon us women and the men hold the fort as we all adjust so to speak.  I have a little more freedom of the two of us, but Bess is spelling me at the moment by taking Caleb into her home tonight so he can spend time distracted by cousins.  I kept him Thursday night here in our home.  We took him to nursery Friday morning, then I spent last night at his house, thinking his own bed and familiar surroundings would be a soothing thing for him.   Our main focus is truly to try and stick as hard we can to HIS routine and if not his own routine, then distract him.

He was sick in the night last night and had a temper tantrum as I struggled to clean up the mess and him.  I ended up just letting him scream it out and patted his back until he was soothed down.  Apparently, he felt much better this morning, having got it out of his system (temper and whatever ailed him).  He ate a two-hour breakfast of various things. I started him with applesauce and he just kind of took it from there, lol.   He was well pleased when Grampa stopped in this morning but overjoyed to see his Mama.

He's had a few meltdowns and I've tried to be firm and gentle and understanding all at the same moment.  I recall Josh's acceptance of the upheaval in his life when Isaac was born prematurely, and he had only Gramma and Gammy to tend to him at about the same age as Caleb.  I well recall the day when he'd had ENOUGH and simply sobbed out, "I need...I need...I NEED my Mama!"

Mentally, emotionally and physically I am torn in ten different pieces and struggling hard.  ALL of us are struggling hard and tempers and emotions are running higher than normal amongst us all, except Katie who hasn't the energy to spare for anything more.  We are not yet at a place where there is a routine.  It is merely a few hours at a time in which we can be semi-assured of what needs to be done and then everything changes. 

Prayers for us all are appreciated.

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thank goodness he is ok. Poor Caleb has no idea what is going on. Hopefully in the next couple of days things can be semi-normal.

Casey said...

Terri,

I’m so sorry! Hang in there. I hope he’s out of the woods soon! These are very hard times, but so thankful to know you have family to surround and support each other.

Mable said...

Sounds awfully hard but that you are finding ways to cope. Still sending my prays in your direction. As I've said, I am not much of a prayer but I have a sticky on my bedside lamp with your name on it so I remember to send up special words for you.

Shirley in Washington said...

Praying for you all! Shirley

Anne said...

Bless you, you're the best mom/grandma in the world. Poor little Caleb. EVERYONE needs their mom.

lejmom said...

Thinking of you all, and sending prayers up for you to stay strong. Poor little Caleb has no idea why everything is upside down. I am hoping the boyfriend's mother has arrived so that Katie can hav a break.Take care of YOU so you can take care of the others...

Hugs from Jane in Florida

Donna said...

We will continue to pray for Katie's boyfriend and all of you. Things will be upside down for a while and I pray that the Father keeps his loving hands on you all.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I am praying for Katie's boyfriend, and all in your family.

Peggy Savelsberg said...

Praying for all of you, Terri! Peggy

Debbi said...

Praying for Katie's boyfriend, as well as Katie and Caleb, well really will be praying for all of you.

Karla said...

Praying for all of you.

terricheney said...

Thank you all. Mable you made me cry. All of your prayers are greatly appreciated.

Jo said...

Well this might post twice as first time I got an error message.
I hope things are somewhat better by now. I will keep praying for y'all!

Thrifty Thursday: Just Keep Right On