Survival Plans for Thanksgiving 2022

 


Last night John told his brother, who had asked if they might come for Thanksgiving, that he'd love to have him here.  He then said he'd let us know if they decided to come. So, we are up in the air with plans, but we are committed to being home now regardless of what they decide.   

 I've made plans to follow this year and make things easier on myself.


I've been thinking of the menu.  

I'm not going to make a turkey and a chicken, stuffing and dressing, three types of potatoes, two other casserole vegetables, three different cranberry sauce items, pumpkin pie and four other requested desserts.  Every year for as long as I can remember Mama has insisted on having those extras thrown in reminding me that she doesn't like this or that and every single year she eats everything, including the things she says she doesn't like and takes home a plate of things she 'doesn't like'.  I figure this year she'll survive just fine if I make what John wants.  

John likes turkey, stuffing, canned cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.  Our compromise item is sweet potatoes. I like the crunchy top and he likes marshmallows.  I do a pan of them half and half.  That works well for us.  I've noted that when we have people join us, they are pretty equally divided on which topping they prefer.  He'd probably like to have mashed potatoes too, but I think Sweet Potatoes will be enough.  Green Bean Casserole will be included.  If someone feels they simply must have something more, I'll let them know they are welcome to bring it.  

I have a turkey breast in the freezer that I bought last Easter.   Since I'm not sure who will be here or how many I'm feeding, I'm just going to plan for the turkey breast to be the turkey, unless I know in time that it won't be enough.  Kroger's preview ad shows that the store brand turkey will be 49c a pound with digital coupon and loyalty card this coming week.  I'll get one to put in the freezer and if we need a bigger turkey, I'll at least have it on hand.  It never hurts to have turkey in the freezer, does it?  I pretty much have all else we need on hand right now to prepare my holiday menu items as stated above.

Frankly, I'm glad I have all the foods we'll need on hand already because November so far has been busy and expensive for us as well.  Using what I have will keep our budget intact.

I'll buy disposable pans for oven baked items.  I'll double up or set them up in baking pans if I have to in order to get the sturdiness I require, but I am trying to eliminate as much washing up after dinner as I can.    

Last year's cleaning up after dinner was hard, especially after cooking for hours and having to go get Mama and bring her here as well.   This year, I'll have to do the same trip times two, as well as cook and clean.  So, I'm going to use disposables for all the items I possibly can.

I'm going to buy a set of food storage pieces so I can store what leftover foods we have in reasonable portions for two and not pack them in my casseroles.  I was short of containers last year and things got frozen in huge amounts.  I had to thaw big portions of food and then figure out how to use them once they were thawed. If there are any leftovers this year to be frozen, I want them in portions suitable for two, not ten.  I can buy some disposable or even a proper set of storage containers reasonably enough.

My ultimate aim is to not have so very many leftovers.  I'll just add here though that it will be John who complains of too few leftovers.  I'm quite serious.  He likes the leftovers as much as he does the meal.  That's why I'll probably be buying another turkey or two while we're in the season.

 Jd's kids complained they were hungry late that evening.  In our family it's always been tradition that we eat leftovers of the big meal, and I'd encouraged them to eat from those around 6pm. They acted like I'd suggested they go eat dog food from a dirty bowl.  

Well one of them went whining to Jd about 8pm and John got rather snippy with me about not making them a whole new meal.  I was still cleaning up at that point. Last year, everyone left, sat and talked, etc. and I was left cleaning up dishes for hours after a day that had been too long already.   I suggested he make peanut butter sandwiches for them. We had words over it later that night, too.  Honestly John is a thoughtful person for the most part, but I do a whole lot he never notices.  He quietly went into the kitchen after each meal the next two days though and washed dishes and wiped off counters.  I deeply appreciated his help and said so. 

 But I am not planning a repeat of that whole scene.  It was a stupid way to have the day end and I resented the heck out of it at the time.  Not harboring ill feelings over it now but I am aware that if we have a houseful of guests come (and who knows?!  No one ever says...) this is a potential for a repeat of last year.  Disposables will eliminate a lot of that work.  Planning ahead to NOT have leftovers for supper will help too.  

I will get some sandwich meat, sliced bread because they don't eat homemade, chips, etc.  Everyone is old enough to manage to make their own sandwiches.   Hopefully it will ease stresses and strains.

My kitchen rules remain pretty hard and fast, however.  I think 8pm is a late hour to eat dinner and the children will just have to adjust their minds to that fact and eat a bit earlier.  They can all clean up behind themselves as well.  It's easy enough to throw away a paper plate and put your cup in the sink.

There's not much I can do about that super casual open-ended yes/no attitude.  It's one that runs on that side of the family and I'm not likely to break any of them of the habit.  I haven't in 30 years.  It is what it is and while I personally prefer fewer open 'plans' I'm odd woman out on that score.  

I want more than anything to be gracious to any who choose to come but I do feel it's my option to state a time limit on visits.  John's brother will be traveling a very long distance if they come and is older than John.  I know they often have long stays with others.  While I wouldn't want them to rush over and then turn around and rush back, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that a week-long visit is quite enough.   

Jd lives in state and is just a few hours away.  I'd love to spend time with him and the kids, but it would be quite a struggle to juggle multiples of guests over a long weekend and that's the truth.  Not to mention the strain of preparing food for an extra 8 people.   Because if Jd and kids are here it's inevitable that the children from across the field will be here as well and then the in-laws, too.

All that to say that just because others have no set times for arrival or departure, I will help plan the departures in as nice a way as possible.  I think it only fair that I be allowed to set a few limits.

And last but not least, I am just going to chill.  I would like very much to KNOW who will be here for Thanksgiving and who has other plans but so far everyone seems satisfied to know that we are to be home to host if they might choose to come.  I'd like to KNOW who plans to stay and for how long instead of it being an open ended, "Might stay a few days after,".  These are not answers that are forth coming.  So I'll just wait and see what develops and try to take it all on the chin.

Those are my holiday 2022 plans...How are you faring?

16 comments:

Lana said...

We are going to our youngest son and decided to stick around all weekend so we have reserved an Airbnb. They always sort of fly by the seat of their pants and it is hard to pin them down on anything. I am going to send them a list of what I am planning to bring and tell them to veto anything to they don't want. We will have a full kitchen so I think I will just pack some basic items and go shopping if I need anything else for the weekend.

Christmas is the one where we will have a houseful. They all know that hey have to tell me what meals they will be here for I won't cook for them. For supper on holidays I buy dinner rolls for sandwiches and set out the leftover meat, chips and dip which is a treat to the grandkids and I put out fruit that they can wash, prep for themselves. I add any open jars of pickles and olives. I tell them that if they want hot leftovers to get them and fix a plate for the microwave and put the rest back in the fridge. One DIL turns up her nose at everything I cook and I really don't care anymore since she is also the one who doesn't help and she manages to eat plenty in spite of her attitude. We will use disposable everything for the entire visit. It saves our sanity. We topped off those supplies today so it is done.

Practical Parsimony said...

I am in agreement with the menu--turkey, dressing, homemade cranberry sauce and the canned stuff, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie. That is just for the two of us. I would cook more if there were more people here. I will make giblet gravy(brown gravy with chopped giblets and chopped boiled eggs.) Tommy won't gravy but wants green bean casserole.

When I want to freeze smaller portions, I just dip it into a freezer bag of the appropriate size. It does not matter if the food gets mashed.

All the uncertainty about when, times, and how long would make me crazy. My kids ate what Mama told them or I told them to eat!

Anne said...

I'm going to come across quite snippy here but I have heard from so many of the older generation about Thanksgivings where guests treat them like a restaurant, deciding at the last minute if they want to come or not. And John's brother asking for an invitation and then waffling. That's beyond the pale. How you can handle all of that is to tell them all you MUST have an answer by such and such date and if you don't hear from them by then, the assumption will be that they aren't coming.

And John being snippy with you for not making another meal for JDs kids when they were hungry late in the evening, well, the picture in my mind is of Maggie coming after Jiggs with a rolling pin.

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but I'm working on not being taken advantage of in my own life.

Linda said...

I don’t understand why no one invites you?
It would be nice to give you a break

WorldGlow17 said...

I was shocked at the behavior of John's brother. I would have told them not to bother to come if they can't make up their mind. If they wanted to see you why didn't they invite you to come to them? I agree with Anne. I think this is hurtful to you and that should not happen.

Mable said...

I think my husband likes the mashed potatoes best of all, so I always make plenty and some for leftovers. We invited one person, a single guy who works from home so gets sort of odd if we don't force him out of his house every so often. I told him he had to contribute the dessert, figuring that is the easiest thing for him to buy (he does not cook, only heats up stuff. He even buys eggs that are pre-boiled!!). With prices what they are, and the fact that I do all the cooking because I am the better cook, I felt like it was fair to ask the guest to contribute something. The guest acutally thanked me for asking him to contribute this year because he always felt odd not contributing.

Tammy said...

We'll have much the same menu, but also with mashed potatoes and gravy. Thanksgiving is Greg's favorite, and he only asks for the basics - turkey, Stove Top, mashed potatoes/gravy, green bean casserole, rolls, and pecan pie. Anything else he appreciates, but he's good with just his favorites. I also make homemade cranberry sauce and a few kinds of pie - Greg's pecan, chocolate pecan, and pumpkin. We have sweet potatoes if Greg's mom comes, because she brings them. I like plain baked sweet potatoes, but she likes the sweet topping kind, so if she wants them, she has to make them. Lol.
Greg's in charge of the meat - cooking, slicing, and cleaning up. If guests ask what they can bring, I tell them salads or desserts. We often have additional guests later in the afternoon who come for pie, so we don't eat dessert right after our meal, but later on we have "dessert buffet".
This year we have a 23 lb. turkey that I bought for less than a dollar a pound last spring. I was hesitant, but texted a pic of the price to Greg and he said buy it and we'll figure out how we're going to cook it later. I think we may have to spatchcock it, and he'll cook it a day or two ahead of time to save that particular Thanksgiving day stress.
So far I know nine of us will be here for dinner, possibly 2 or 4 more. Two have dairy issues, one other can't have gluten, no tree nuts for Layla.
I'll shop on Monday next week, then will find out on Tuesday if I have jury duty or not. If I do, hopefully it won't take but a day, fingers crossed.

terricheney said...

Lana, if we have guests from out of state they will stay in a hotel. And my kitchen will be hectic and busy as one of the guests wants to make their favorite dishes, which isn't an issue. I just remember having things LAYERED in the oven while we cooked turkey, casseroles, etc.

It sounds like you plan really well. Lol on the dil. I had one of those as well, lol.

Practical Parsimony, Gravy...I'd forgotten gravy for the stuffing. John likes plain turkey gravy. Mama always insists I make giblet and there's always leftovers. Seems a waste except the cat will eat it, lol.

The habits of the family are just their habits. John himself is not this way so I don't know where the others get off. I think the BIL is waiting to see what his wife wants to do but wanted the option of knowing they might come here.

I taught my children to try at least one bite of any food on the table if it was new to them. And if it was something they didn't like, don't eat it but don't announce that you don't like it. I always felt that was rude. I don't know why my mother feels it's acceptable since she's the one who raised me.

Anne, Hence we have my 'plans' to survive this year. John being snippy was a misunderstanding on his part. He wasn't even aware that I'd told the kids to eat leftovers nor that I'd been tied to the kitchen. I'll accuse him only of being oblivious, which frankly he is anytime there's something to distract him. He was very sweet to pitch in without asking for all the meals thereafter once he understood why I'd been a touch upset myself.

Linda, we had an invitation to South Carolina to spend the holiday with Steven's family. We don't know them and felt uncomfortable coming in when the invitation was issued from Steven and then Katie but not from his parents. We feel that due to his brother's age and the distance they live from us that it might possibly be a 'last visit' even though he's in reasonably good health. It's just getting in that season of life.

WorldGlow, John is very reluctant to travel across states to them. He neither wants to drive nor does he want to fly which is pricey anyway, and there are other extenuating circumstances that make a visit from them (IF it happens) better than going to them.

Mable, I always instruct my oldest son what to bring because he doesn't ever ask nor think about asking. He's also one who we also have to tell when to come and when to go. And stand firm on the going part...He doesn't cook either, so I often set him the task of getting drinks, or ice etc.

Tammy 9 is a very doable number but yours is complicated with the dietary needs. I have only the restriction that John's brother claims he is allergic to onions and green peppers. Green Peppers are not a problem. Onions I can't cook without so I instruct him which foods have onion and will set aside a portion of certain dishes without them if he comes.

I only wish anyone else cooked. Sam will bring stuff if he's coming. Mama might bring something, but I've learned not to trust her with anything key to John's enjoyment of the meal, i.e. pumpkin pie. Katie often would bring dishes as well, but she'll be out of state this year. Sometimes if Sam and Bess are here, her mom also comes and she offers to bring cups, plates, napkins and no baking required rolls, such as that which is always helpful.

Donna said...

Holidays can get complicated. Our family is very small and with only the youngest daughter close to us, our meal can (will) be very simple. Erin invited us to come to her house and as she lives just down the road, no travel is involved. We bought a turkey breast at Costco and I told Erin she could prepare it. A full turkey is pretty but for three people kind of a waste. Our freezers are chock full and Erin's freezer went out on her and hasn't been replaced. Hope your day works out well.

obscure said...

One of the nicer supermarkets near me sells half cooked turkeys - I always have 15 for dinner on Thanksgiving and the first year I bought that it made my life so much easier - you still roast for 2 hours but makes it so much less stressful.Whatever short cuts you can take, take them - its your holiday too!

Also, when we used to travel for Thanksgiving when my kids were small, I always brought something for dinner that would serve everyone - frozen pizzas, subs, etc. I think it's unreasonable to expect someone to feed you a separate dinner after all that work!

terricheney said...

Donna, Once or twice John was off for Thanksgiving and all the family were elsewhere, so it was just him and me. It was such a nice dinner. I took time to make the things I plan to make this time around, set the table prettily and we ate leftovers. It was lovely.

Obscure, how awesome that would be to have a turkey mostly cooked!

The children were unreasonable but it's their mom who made them so. She doesn't 'do leftovers' of any sort at any time. But it's not worth the aggravation of forcing them to my way. I expect most adults will happily eat leftovers.

terricheney said...

Karla, I LOVE the holidays...but I love them without certain people. lol It's the angst of years and years and years that makes the holidays full of tension for me. It is what is is.

Karla said...

Terri I think perhaps that’s me too. It’s the people not the hooodays. LOL

Karla said...

Sorry - mistype -

Terri I think perhaps that’s me too! It’s the people not the holidays. LOL

terricheney said...

Karla, Oh Shoot! I thought Hoodays sounded lots more crazy, lol.

Karla said...

Terri - it does doesn’t it!? Maybe we should make a new tradition and have hoodays instead.