The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Begin Again

 


In my home this week, I am determined to begin over again.  This afternoon when we'd had time to settle down, I felt overwhelmed at the unknowingness ahead.  Well, that wasn't going to do, now, was it?  Just because others refuse to make firm plans doesn't mean I should skate along and make none either now does it?

So, what to do?  Go back to Plan A.


Work:



No matter who comes, no matter who isn't here, no matter what is or isn't happening, I know this much: On Thanksgiving Day I am serving a meal.  Period.  And that menu was planned right at the start of the month and shall stand.  I went through my recipe files and cookbooks, gathered my recipes and one by one, I went through the pantry and made sure I had all the items required.  I checked my turkey breast, and it weighs 7 pounds.  If the maximum of guests come the Butterball site says that my turkey will serve 6-8.  

Moments after we began to discuss this fact, I had a text from a family member that they definitely won't be here.  Strike 5 from the guest list.  Add 2 to the guest list for the ones who changed plans and will be here.  2 more are still at large... Should they come, we will be 7 at the table, 5 if they do not.  John and I agreed we'd like to have a little more turkey than just enough.  I mean, what is Thanksgiving without turkey sandwiches?

That led to writing out a grocery list.  Not for the pantry, but for the things that I must have to prepare meals over the next week and the holiday weekend following.  I don't have grocery money but at this point in time it matters little.  I will borrow from next month's budget and hope for the best when we get there.  Cavalier?  Well maybe so but in light of what I require (good basic vegetables and fruits, a smallish turkey or turkey breast, breads) it seems best, and at worst means we eat a good bit more soup and economy dishes for the greater majority of December.

Done and dusted on two items.  

I sat down with the computer and filled out my 2023 health care application.  I've been approved by Healthcare.gov.   This year I'll be doggone sure to check with the State of Georgia prior to refilling a prescription after what I went through in 2022 with having to be reinstated after my acceptance.

Done and dusted three items.

We will go to the grocery store. 

I will sort out the guest room which I'd started last week.  I'm sure John will help me to get this task done if I ask him.  He knows it's important and has offered to make room in his music room for some things that need to be moved out of the guest room.  We'll just have to push through and work hard, but we can do it.

Kitchen:  



I will begin meal prep as far as I can.  Pie crusts may be made and blind baked for the Pumpkin Pies.  For that matter, pies may be baked and frozen then thawed on Thursday while the rest of dinner is being prepared.   The Gelatin Salad can be made early, and the Sweet Potatoes can too, and be ready to be topped.  Cornbread can be made for the Stuffing, onions and celery for that chopped.  There are plenty of things I can do ahead.   I have such a lot of eggs and John's very fond of Deviled Eggs.  I think I'll add those to my menu as well.

We'll need breakfast each morning as well as lunches and suppers before and after Thanksgiving Day.  There will be guests on various days.  I think it best to pick up various quick items, prep something ahead that can be a freezer meal if it's not wanted, etc.

Meals:  Beef Stroganoff Soup

Tamale Pie, Yellow Rice, Pineapple Salad

Pot Roast with Vegetables, Pear Salad, Muffins

Salisbury Steaks, Mashed Potato Cakes, Green Beans, Biscuits (Make extra and freeze them for the week ahead)

Oven Baked Chicken and Dumplings, Peas, Honeyed Carrots

Here's where planning gets a little more difficult.  Different guests have different food allergies, and I must be careful that no meal contains those items.

We do generally eat our Thanksgiving Dinner as the midday meal.

Turkey and Stuffing, Gravy, Deviled Eggs, Sweet Potato Casserole, Green Bean Casserole, Cranberry Salad, Cranberry Sauce, Pumpkin Pie, Pecan Pie

Choice of leftovers

Friday:  Turkey Sandwiches, Chips

And here's where I don't know what we'll do.  John does not eat before performing.  I think my best bet is to make something to take as something I can serve to the whole of the coffee house group and add to those goodies.  It's usually a fairly substantial grouping of different snack foods but will there be this night?  How many will even show up?  I just don't know.  I'll take something to contribute, sliders or something.  

Saturday: ??? Out???In???

Sunday:  ???How long will anyone be here on Sunday???  No clue.  

Personal/Leisure:



Why pretend?  Not this week honey, not this week.

7 comments:

Lana said...

It is good to have things sorted out and be able to just move on. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this weekend but God knows and we will get going to our son one way or another. We have gluten free eaters on our family and that is always a stretch for my mind as well. We can do it!!

Lana said...

Well, Linda, it seems that you have money but it sure has not bought you any kindness.

terricheney said...

Lana, Thank you for the encouragement and for your reply to The Thorny One. I try to delete her comments as quickly as possible. They are fully intended to needle me but little does she realize that there are far bigger needles poking me and she is a minor nuisance.

Grammy D said...

Hope your Thanksgiving is a wonderful memory. For the first time in many years my family will all be together. My daughter flies into Buffalo on Tuesday morning. You may have seen on the news the almost 7 foot of snow in some areas! Hope tomorrow is nice so the roads can all get cleared. She is not a winter driver. Gramma D

Casey said...

I’m rooting for you! Big hugs!! We’ll have a small Thanksgiving this year, but I’m okay with that. The last Sunday of the month is cookie Sunday at church for fellowship. We’ve been given the challenge to bake a new cookie recipe we’ve seen, liked, but haven’t tried yet. I’m going to try and make some coconut macaroons with aquafaba. I’m allergic to chicken eggs as are other family members. If I can figure out to use aquafaba (liquid from the chick pea can), then I’ll be both frugal and learn a new trick for an egg substitute. I am thankful you continue to write your blog.

Lana said...

Casey, My daughter has made meringues from aquafaba and they were delicious! She said it whips right up just like egg whites.

terricheney said...

Dora, I'm so happy that your family is all coming home. And I did see that snow business going on and wondered how you were faring. Brrr!! I hope you are all stocked up and ready for the winter if this is what autumn has to offer.

Casey, Thank you dear! I'd love to hear how your cookies turn out. I've heard of Aquafaba before and think it sounds very interesting.