The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Ch-Ch-Changes



In my home this week, I am considering the options of housework, Christmas decorating, gifting, first of the month tasks, and a change of circumstances that I didn't predict.  I'd laugh at it at this point except I'll admit I was tossed for a loop and haven't quite untangled myself yet.  So, there's that.

I'm also contemplating the handful of projects I'd just added to my list of homemaker projects.  Scratch that.  Scratch the remainder of the list.  They aren't going to happen this year.  Regrouping is getting to be what I'm really good at. 


Work:  


I need to get my check register set up for the new month.

Finances are finicky.  I need to do some hard-core planning regarding Christmas, Family Day, gifting, repairs that are needed, grocery budgeting, etc.  You'd think after two years of being retired I'd be accustomed to figuring out all of my monthly stuff at once.  The trouble is that every month brings something new or altered that affects every other thing and so there I am scrambling to figure it out.   

John and I must sit down and discuss what happens with the shower drain issue, the hot water on the kitchen sink issue, and the refrigerator evaporator fan issue.  None of these are things he can deal with.  In the meantime, we keep limping along and I suppose we still can.  I can boil hot water to use at the sink, we can keep using the guest shower, and as long as the fridge keeps working...maybe we can manage but we do need a contingency plan just in case things don't work.

I need to determine where I'm putting the Christmas tree this year.  I'm not sure we'll be putting it up as soon as we usually do.  That could be problematic and while I've always enjoyed that soft glow all through December, it may prove to make life more difficult.  And right now, I am all about fewer problems to deal with, not more.   

Oh heck!  I really enjoy the Christmas tree while it's up and I think I'll throw caution to the wind and just do it!  This year has been difficult in so very many ways and Thanksgiving was an odd affair this year, but I want to savor our Christmas season. 

Get Christmas cards addressed and ready to go out on December 1. 

Book our tickets for the church Christmas play.

Look for more free activities we might enjoy as a family group or as a couple throughout the season.  

Gracious! I need to check a calendar and see when Channukah is this year. 

Kitchen:



Using the Thanksgiving Leftovers (or packing them in the freezer) is foremost on my mind at present.  There were not huge quantities of leftovers, but we did end up with far more dressing/stuffing than I'd thought we would have.  Everything else is manageable.  One of the Pumpkin Pies went right into the freezer.  The other pumpkin pie is nearly done.  There's roughly half of the Pecan Pie left.  The rest is more odds and ends.  But no waste is my goal just the same as always.

Meal prep time will be necessary and most helpful each week of this month.  I need to plan to make Sunday afternoon my meal prep time.  That's the time to get breakfasts, lunch and dinners planned, the fridge sorted, and preparatory work done, such as thawing meat, chopping vegetables, gathering pantry items, etc.  It can only make my life easier overall.

Meals:  

Out with George and Pilar

Scalloped Potatoes with Sausage or Ham, Coleslaw, Peas

Turkey Broccoli Pot Pie, Waldorf Salad, Green Beans

Mongolian Beef, Rice, Salad with Green Onions, Bean Sprouts and Sunflower Seeds with a Ginger Vinaigrette

Spaghetti Bolognese, Garlic Bread, Green Salad, Easy Tiramisu

Pigs in Blankets, Potatoes with onions, Baked Bean Bake

Chinese.  I know what the budget is and I know it's not necessary, but it would be awfully nice to have some pot stickers.  I don't even care if our meal is from the frozen foods section but if we all chip in we might could manage Chinese.  And if not I'm sure there will be leftovers galore.

Personal/Leisure:

Read. 

Listen to soothing seasonal music.

Taking time out to sit on the porch and absorb sunlight.

Fill the bird feeders.

Journal.

Put up the Christmas tree and make time every single day to sit and just gaze at the lights.

Find my Christmas books and stories and advent books.  Enjoy something from those daily.

4 comments:

Lana said...

Those life curveballs just keep coming your way. UGH! I'm sorry.

Arrived home late last night from our youngest son's. So tired! Maybe tomorrow our heads will be in the game of this week. I hope so!

Donna said...

Sometimes the curveballs of life come fast and furious! However, we have an Advocate who is on our side.

Karla said...

Goodness, life has been an "interesting" one for you all this past few years. Praying for you! For peace, guidance and rest amidst it all.

terricheney said...

Karla, your prayers are appreciated!

Donna, Yes absolutely!

Lana, I don't much care for baseball, but I do at least know how to play...lol