I Wonder As I Wander: December

 


Home mathematics is different than routine math.  Here's how it works:  

1 banana can be turned into 12 muffins...or ONE fourth breakfast for a ravenous 3-year-old boy.

1 muffin can become 200,436 crumbs in the right pair of small hands and though confined to the dining room table to eat, may also be spread over roughly 900 sq. ft. of open space.


If one thing goes wrong with one item in a household, two more will follow.  First the fridge started making a terrible sound.  Hot water from the kitchen sink became a mere trickle.  Then the shower drain may be broken.  It's got some 'give' that shouldn't be there...Next the hot water heater quit.  Now the hot water in the sink is running just fine or would if we had hot water.  The drain...Well the drain is still an issue, one that I don't think John means to address at all.  But we did finally find a local man who does plumbing who 'might' come out today, 48 hours into having no hot water.

If one light bulb goes out 4 more will also go out.  And you will not have one spare one in the house to replace any one of those 4.

If you go over budget in one area, before you can blink twice you will be over budget in at least five other areas.  And the moment you screech to a halt and state that you will NOT spend another penny, three needs arise to prove you are not actually in control of your finances at all.

***********************************************************************************

I may be all grown up and know full well that a snow machine made the snowflakes for the Christmas program but oh my goodness!  The thrill that went through me when I looked up to see a swirl of snowflakes coming down and dancing about in the light was about as much Christmas spirit as I've found this year.  One happy laugh escaped from me, and I was grateful.

Snow isn't something we get to see that often in Georgia.  In the 25 years we've been here I think we've had snow only two or three times.   I don't think of the driving issues, or the possible loss of electricity.  All I think of is the loveliness of it.  I can afford to enjoy it when it's such a rare thing.

**********************************************************************************

I stepped out on the back porch for a few minutes and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the outdoors.  The air was damp and cold, smoky with fires from chimneys of the neighboring homes, and the aroma of pine was strong.  It smelled like Christmas outdoors, a unique wintry sort of smell that is elusive and occurs only a few times a winter here.  It reminded me of childhood and the good things of Christmas for a moment or two.

Have you heard of the 1000 hours outdoors project?  It's a plan to spend more time outdoors.  Specifically, it began as a family project to get children outdoors and the family kept it up.  Well, it sounds like what I need to do.  Mind you it's hideous outdoors at times in the summer but if I front load my year with these more pleasant days that aren't in the 100F range surely, I could manage this goal?    Who knows, quite possibly I might find peace, reset my melatonin levels and just find more peace and less anxiety.   

*********************************************************************************

Winter blooms are about.  Narcissus is blooming in the old home sites yards and Lady's Mantle are blooming at roadsides along the country lanes.  These are usually seen in the winter season, and I suppose we've had cold enough to warrant being confused.  

The crocus popped through the soil and are peeking at the world, too.  And winter not even come yet...

And then we had our big freeze here.  Not enough to stop the crocus from looking all lovely and perky green as they poke heads through the soil.

********************************************************************************

Well, winter hadn't arrived when I wrote the above paragraph but it's here now.  Oh boy is it here now!  It will be a cold Christmas this year.  I recall very well the balmy breezy Christmases past when the temperatures soared into the mid 80's and we children rolled up pants legs and stripped to t-shirts and ran about barefoot.

Admittedly, I like a cold Christmas far better but even this is not really seasonal for us.  These temperatures are more suited to late January, or the month of February rather than to December. 

*********************************************************************************

Weather preparations ensued this week.  We checked the pumphouse light to be sure it was working.  We've wrapped the faucets and drained and rolled the hoses.  The propane gas truck came up the hill yesterday and checked the tank.  He said he was just going to go to every house on his route and be sure all had plenty of gas for the holiday weekend.   Last night I washed the dishwasher load of dishes and today we're making sure everyone gets a hot bath before bed.  Fresh water was drawn up to use to prepare coffee and drinking and washing if the pipes do freeze.  The stove top percolator pot is under the counter if we have need of it and there's ground coffee plenty as well as tea bags of various sorts for those that prefer tea.  With the gas heater and a gas stove, we should fare well enough through the bitterest of this cold spell.  We've got an ample supply of paper plates.

Really the prep work is all pretty much the same as hurricane season preparations save the filling up of the gas tank.   At least in this weather if the electric goes off, we can just slip the milk outdoors and perhaps we can keep it from freezing if we check it often enough.

***********************************************************************************

I discovered something this year.  I guess I had a bit of the Grinch in me.  But on Christmas Day, I realized that we didn't need a big fancy tree, fully decorated house nor lavish food spread.  All it took was a 3-year-old who was fully aware that it was Christmas and who didn't look askance at the modest gifts under the tiny little tree.  

We watched "The Last Holiday".  We had our traditional and simple Christmas breakfast with lots of hot coffee.  We ate good food and had leftovers for the last meal of the day.  Sickness and cold weather kept us home all day long.  

In the end, I felt relaxed, rested, peaceful and happy.

It was the perfect Christmas.

***********************************************************************************

Regardless of how I felt leading up to Christmas, I found the idea of New Year approaching a happy thing.  I've just ordered new notebooks to replace my too small one-inch binders that I find it difficult to contain all the things I need for the year.  My home keeping notebook will be upgraded.  I thought seriously of ordering a fancy planner. I am drawn to them but never ever end up using them as I do blank sheets of line notebook paper and a blank calendar page.   Why pay more for a planner than a notebook I can customize to suit myself? 

**********************************************************************************

I am ready to see 2022 behind me.  The last three years have been hard.  I'm not sure this next year will turn out any differently.  I hope if it's rough going I can be positive and upbeat and steady in my approach.     

And if it turns out to be a year that goes a great deal more easily, then I'll be triply grateful!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

**********************************************************************************

9 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hello, it has been. hard string of 3 years, hasn’t it? We both have different family things that have gone on but it’s all been hard. 2023 is a new year and I’m optimistic about it.
I’m working on a new budget and will deep clean and reset once our guests are completely moved out. They’ve made more progress today than I expected them too
I like the 1000 hours outside idea too

doe853 said...

Dear Terri,
I’m so glad you were able to enjoy a small Christmas. Ours was very small this year too as I was I’ll with bronchitis from thanksgiving to just a day or two ago. We got a much smaller tree and used perhaps 20% of our Christmas stuff. You know what, Rick and I were very happy with the amount we used. A purging will be happening. I never even got my cards out!🤧🤒😷😫
I wish you and John and the family a healthy, happy and gratifying 2023. Keep your spirits up, your fans all are keeping you in our prayers. Fondly, Dale

Unknown said...

THank you for all you have written in the last year. It has been a hard one at our house as well, mostly illnesses and surgeries and pain. Some days reading what you wrote was just plain comforting. I remind myself to be thankful that I have a husband who loves me and demonstrates it every day, and that is more than a lot of people have. Seems taht you have the same in John. Happy 2023 to us all!

Donna said...

Happy New Year to you and yours! We don't know what the year will bring but the Father does and He will take care of us.

heatherruark said...

I don't write often, as I fear I don't have the right words to truly ease anyone's suffering, and I would feel awful if I made it worse. This year has been particularly heavy with unknown and uncomfortable undertones for a lot of women I know personally. What a sickly mess for all our emotional states the unpredictability of not knowing how best to move forward is. I must remind myself every day to find some bit of small light and remember that there is still good feeling to be found if I search it out and I make it for others. Happy New Year Terri! I wish you light and love and a thousand small pockets of happiness all year.

terricheney said...

Rhonda, Yes. It's been difficult for so many people I know. Here's to a fresh new start. I too am coming into 2023 with optimism and anticipation. Gracious! I'd forgotten Nina and family would be moving this week. That will make a major change for you.

Dale, I got the cards out but never put up a tree, so we're even, lol. I too need to purge my Christmas stuff. There are many things I never use at all anymore and haven't for years upon years. I would love some new things but with bins full of stuff, I know it's best to let go first and then add in new items.

Merry Christmas dear. I am glad to hear from you! I was thinking of you last week.

Unknown, Thank you for taking time to comment. I so appreciate hearing that you have enjoyed the blog, dark as I feel it was at times.

Donna, Hugs to you. You've been a great reminder of the real comfort this year. Thank you.

Heather, Your 'blessing' touches me greatly. I felt my soul thrill at the idea of 'a thousand small pockets of happiness all year'. That is such a lovely thought! Thank you for writing!

Debbi said...

I know I don't comment Terri, but I read your post and even glean some very good frugal and home keeping ideas. I really hope that you have a Happy Healthy New Year as well as your family. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, your ups and downs and a little part of what is happening in your little area of Georgia, Your weather is very close to mine down here in the central gulf coast of Florida. Have a blessed week Terri.

terricheney said...

Debbi, thank you so much for taking the time to comment today. I'm glad to know that you can glean some good from my blog. Thank you for reading and sharing about you in this little note. I love getting to know folks.

Karla said...

When you described the snow at the church Christmas play and then I read the last line of this post, suddenly the line "the weary world rejoices" came to mind. We need that don't we? Every year, every month, every day, every hour, every moment. I'm grateful to have that hope especially when it's been such a long 3 years for the weary world. Looking forward to a new year with you.

Thrifty Thursday: Just Keep Right On