The Homemaker Plans Her Meals: Hot Weather Cookery

The most refreshing thing ever just now is a cool mandarin orange or a bowl of frozen grapes.  That said, I don't want to eat cold foods all the time.  I want hot meals but not heavy ones.  Finding the balance is the clue.  Contrasts in temperature is just as important as contrast in textures and colors to make a meal appeal to the taste buds.  


Gathered Fragments

I have fewer leftovers and excess this week than I normally do.

Peaches

Carrots and more carrots

Chicken




Meals

Saturday:  Chicken Salad with Grapes, Croissants, Chips

Sunday:  Grammas Fried Chicken, Mac and Cheese, Three Bean Salad

Tacos, Skillet Street Corn, Chocolate Pudding

Ceasar Chicken Salad, Baked Potatoes

Shish Kebab with Vegetables, Rice, Salad 

Pork Chops in Maple Mustard Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans

Pizza Spaghetti Casserole, Garlic Bread, Steamed Broccoli




I want to do some sweet treats this week, but not sure just what.  I'd like to experiment with the peaches and make a Peach Bread, similar to Banana Bread with a Streusel topping.  I have a packet of peanut butter cookie mix out to bake, too.  Those I can bake in the toaster oven.  

I also plan to make bagels this week.  

I'll definitely take time to put some of the grapes in the freezer and will make up a frozen pie or something for the future so that I'll have it in the freezer, too.

3 comments:

Lana said...

My Mom is still hanging on but not responding to us now.

I typically make supper menus for the month but I did 11 days of lunches yesterday with is such a relief to have written down. I was also able to get items on the list that need to be used from the freezer that I never think of on the fly.

Donna said...

Hot and muggy summer weather sure changes the menus we are used to preparing. I think maybe our temps in Central Indiana are a little cooler than yours. Our oldest daughter lives near Dallas and she said it has been unbearably hot.

Prayers for Miss Lana.

Deanna said...

Thanks for mentioning skillet street corn. I was planning to have enchiladas Tuesday night and that will be a great side dish!

The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Baby Blue