The Homemaker Plans Her Meals: It's HOT



You'll note that I'm simply planning five meals.  It's not that we're not eating, but I'm finding that on weekends especially it's nice to clear the fridge of things.  We generally have enough of something for one full meal to feed everyone the same thing and then enough odds and ends to piece out another meal on Sunday.  Sort of a Catch Can meal as we used to call them.  This also will eliminate a goodly portion of the Gathered Fragments, but not quite all.


Right now, I have so much fresh produce on hand that I feel it's mandatory to qualify some of them as Fragments to be used up.

Gathered Fragments:

Mashed Potatoes

1/4 of a meatloaf

1 jar tomato sauce

Watermelon

Multi color Mini Peppers

Carrots, carrots and more carrots

Cabbage 

Broccoli

Eggplants

Squash

Cherries, Apples, Orange Slices

Sausage Boil, Watermelon    This is Katie's planned meal.  She's been talking about it all weekend long.  It is a combination of boiled eggs, kielbasa, potatoes, and corn seasoned with Old Bay Seafood seasoning.  Katie referred to it as a "Kosher Low Country Boil", lol.   She offered to cook, and I said "Sure" about quick as anything...

Cottage Pie, Steamed Cabbage, Carrot and Raisin Salad, Cornbread Muffins.  I'll use the tomato sauce thickened to be more the consistency of canned tomato soup, the crumbled meatloaf (possibly with the addition of a little frozen cooked ground beef) and the mashed potatoes to make the Cottage Pie.

Boneless Pork Chops, Squash Casserole, Green Beans with Peppers and Onions

Greek Moussaka, Green Salad.  I'll use the eggplant in this classic Greek dish.  I'm going to fit mine to a 9 x 9 baking pan since I really don't want to use the big oven...I had enough of that on Saturday when I baked that pie!

Chicken and Bacon Ranch Salads, Cheesy Biscuits, Fruit Bowls.  I'll pre-cook the chicken and bacon.  The biscuits can bake in the toaster oven.

For any sweets this week I can bake cookies in the toaster oven or make a pan of some cooling dessert with pudding or simply mix up some gelatin.  That should refresh us.

1 comment:

Karla said...

What you call Catch Can meals, we used to call FYO (Fix Your Own) when our girls were living at home. LOL

I need to make up a fresh batch of cookie dough and freeze in balls for the freezer. I've done that for close to 30 years now, granted with some breaks here and there. It's just so easy to pull out 6 balls of cookie dough and bake them in the toaster oven or air fryer when the desire hits.

Pudding does sounds good! Might need to make another batch of Preacher Pudding (also called Chocolate Delight but my mother-in-law called it Preacher Pudding because it was cheap and easily made ahead for when the preacher came over though truth is my father-in-law was usually the preacher so...LOL)

We haven't had Jello in ages so maybe I'll get some of that too.

The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Baby Blue