This Week In My Home: It's the Most Wonderful Time...

This week in my home, I...




...will likely arrive a little bit late.  I'm going to go down to Sam's to see him baptized.  I can't tell you all what this means to me. 

Both my girls gave their life to Christ in their early years, but not Samuel.  He didn't want to talk about it or hear about it.  He often went to church for long spells of time and was genuinely moved by the preaching but he just stubbornly refused to take that one necessary step of surrendering.  So to have him give his life to Christ finally, I can't miss seeing him baptized!

We're gearing up here in the States for the big holiday season.  We lead off with Thanksgiving this Thursday and from there it's work party, family gathering, invites here and there and Christmas and New Year's.  The next six weeks are pretty much a breathtaking ride to 2017.


I'll possibly have a rare treat this year:  I may get to spend Thanksgiving with three of my four children and five of my nine grandchildren. I say may because Katie told me Taylor is teething and she and her daddy both have colds.  I have a mild cold myself but I'll be there just the same. John will be working.   I'll be disappointed if we can't all be together but not devastated. To just spend my Thanksgiving without the annual holiday dusting down with the maternal side of the family is a blessing!   

John and I will have our holiday meal at home alone the next day and leftovers the following day and turkey sandwiches, as well...  John will be quite happy and then we'll be ready to gobble, lol. 

...plan my work week:

Mostly I'll be doing holiday related things.  We've plenty of leftovers for the start of the week as you'll see in a moment, but  a good bit of my work this week is food related all the same...

Bills, errands, groceries.   I dislike shopping a holiday week.  I just need a few basics like milk, bread, lettuce, eggs.  I am glad of that!  If I can pick up those few items we can wait until the next week to shop for anything else.

Make a cake and pumpkin pies.

Prepare stuffing and dressing.

Start the turkey breast thawing.

 Plan my table setting for our dinner for two.

Just in case, insure the guest room is properly straightened.

Get Christmas tree and first decorating items sorted out and in one spot so I can start decorating after Thanksgiving.

...plan meals:



We have leftovers and I fully expect between that and our usual deli takeout on grocery day will see us through the start of this week:

Family Goulash, Green Salad, Challah, Oranges

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Crusty Bread, Baked Apples

John works 2 days and I will be gone both of them.

Deli takeout

Turkey, Sweet Potato Casserole, Mashed potatoes, Gravy, Stuffing, ???a green vegetable???, Pumpkin Pie

Leftovers

...plan my leisure:

Putting up my feet and resting every chance I get...



3 comments:

Lana said...

Your Samuel gives me hope for our youngest son. I feel your Mama heart today.

We will ony have one of our sons and his wife here for Thanksgiving but they are so easy and laid back that it will be a welcome easy holiday.

I have had an absolute blast Christmas shopping this year. I have done mostly online shopping and had fun as the packages arrive nearly every day. It has been easy to wrap as they come and I have finished about 80% of it already.

Today we are having sloppy Joes from the freezer, tomorrow leftover fried chicken and rice a roni, Wed we will grab something out,after the cooking day. Thursday is turkey, sage stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, white shoe peg corn in butter sauce, cranberry sauce, rolls, chocolate pie and apple pie. The rest of the week is heat and eat! Hubby picked up the free turkey from his employer last night and it is thawing in the fridge. I did my last bit of grocery shopping this morning and will avoid the stores during the big rush.

I have quite a bit to do but it is all on a daily list so it is doable and I know what I am doing for the,table so it is full speed ahead.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kathy said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Wonderful news about Samuel!
Hope you are able to get some rest, and I hope your cold is better. How exciting to be able to spend Thanksgiving with most of your family. Hope Taylor and your son in law feel well enough to attend too.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

I am so very happy to hear about Samuel, I know your heart is overflowing with joy. Praying that God will bless him and lead him in this new journey of his life.

So happy you will "maybe" get to spend the holiday with your children.. How fun. hope the sick ones get well real soon. My two kids and 5 grandkids will be here.. I am looking forward to it.. [and better get off this computer and get to work, much more stuff to do.ha]
Hope you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving.