The Homemaker Plans Her Week: How I Wish It Would Rain




In my home this week,  we are ready to face a new week.  I've just wished my oldest granddaughter a Happy Birthday at the end of last week.  Monday is Josh's birthday.  My grandchildren now range in age from 21 to 3...Now that will make you stop and think a moment.  

By the time she was four, I saw the last I'd ever see of Josie and her baby sister Lily, who turned 17 in April.  I try to remember this when I'm having a frustrating day with Caleb.  Here's one I get to spend time with.  Same with Josh and Isaac and Millie.  Thank God for these.


Work:  




I never said but last week, but I packed four diaper boxes of things from the kitchen.  I've reminded John I need more boxes to pack things up in. 

 Now I have to determine where I can store the filled the boxes.  I could put them in the shed, which would be overcrowded at the least.  I could make room in our bedroom or bath.  I thought of stacking them in the room with Caleb and Katie since there's little furniture in that room, but that strong little boy can push the boxes around to use as a step stool to reach things purposely put out of his reach.  I already know this too well!

But the most surprising thing is that most of what I packed up, I don't even miss...hmmm...It's a reminder to me that no matter how much I work at decluttering my home, there's more I really need to let go of.

Zone 2 this week will be Living/Dining Room/Front Entryway.  I really need to sort out the buffet in the dining area. Talk about seldom used things!  Aside from that, dusting, deep vacuuming, changing out the AC air filter, will pretty much suffice.  

I have a wreath on the front porch, hanging on the gate.  It's not decorated.  I really want to hang it properly as part of my entryway.  But I need to be creative and figure out how to decorate it with whatever I can find in the shed.  

Continue to try to plant seeds and bulbs and do a little work daily in the yard.  It's supposed to rain all week long and if it does, no one here will be complaining.  Seeds and bulbs will wait.  We need the rain!

Kitchen:

Continue to remove things from the cabinets.  

Make cookie dough/cookies and put in the freezer.

Make a couple of summer pies to also put in the freezer while I have stuff to make them.  What are summer pies?  They are usually dairy based pies that are meant to be kept frozen, then thawed a few minutes prior to serving.  They are very handy to have in summer when we want something light, but sweet and most definitely cold.

Sort out fridge.  

Plan meals.

Personal/Leisure:

Lie down for ten minutes every day.  Seriously.  Why is this so hard for me?  I know it's necessary, but I'll let myself drift into more work or into something I really could postpone but don't.  I think if I can make rest a priority, I'll find it easier to rest at night.  Or so I hope.

Mani/Pedi.  Something else I keep postponing.

Set up outfits...Need I say I haven't done this either?

It's really looking a lot like I haven't made me a priority at all.  This is a problem.  I know it and I must get busy working on it.


5 comments:

Chef Owings said...

The oldest grandchild is 30 and the youngest just turned 13. The oldest great grandchild is 7 and the youngest is 1 month.

I rest for 30 minutes each day. Hard habit to get in place, now I get cranky and so does the dog as she rests with me when I miss it.

meme said...

Is it too intrusive to ask why you have not seen your granddaughters for so many years, are you able to video call them? I only as as I am a grandmother myself so I know the love we have for our grandchildren. My heart goes out to you.

terricheney said...

Juls, my great grandchildren are 6 months and 1.5 years old. It's an odd feeling to have grandchildren and great grandchildren all under five.

Meme, My daughter moved to Minot ND 17 years ago. At that time, for reasons unknown to me we had a very distant relationship. Time nor money ever came together so that we could go visit and they did have not the lifestyle to support their return for visits either. My eldest daughter and son are NOT communicators by nature. They don't do social media of any sort, rarely bother to phone or text and don't send photos of the children. I tried corresponding with the grandchildren via mail, but they took their lead from their mom and to be fair they didn't know us except as a name. I've learned to accept that this is just how they are and move on with my life and enjoy the grandchildren I can. And yes, it was/is a long term source of grief for me that I seldom talk about.

Karla said...

Have you thought about using your seed packets and some floral picks you have on hand to decorate your wreath? That might be really cute especially with all of the planting you are doing!

terricheney said...

Karla, That's an idea.