Summer Menu Plans

 



I thought once upon a time that reading my vintage magazines would lead me to the secrets to cool summer cookery.  You know what I found?  In the 1920's, 30's and 40's, people mostly ate the same meals they ate year-round.  They just ate them on a shady porch or in the back yard or they did picnics near a body of water, but they carried along the same heavy foods.

So, in the end, I had to return to my own experiences.  I lived in a home without air conditioning for twenty years.  It was HOT in summer.  My kitchens were inevitably faced west adding to their misery come the supper hour.  Not cooking wasn't an option.  Takeout was too expensive for my budget and my family certainly wanted to eat.  I learned to make meals that would satisfy and not add to the day's heat.


I find in summer, that I simply don't like to cook, nor do I want heavy meals.  I change my menus to suit my tastes.  I make quicker meals.  I use my slow cooker if I am making other longer cooking items.  I use the toaster oven to make casseroles, cakes or cookies.  I don't mind using the stove top but mostly I concentrate on the slow cooker and toaster oven.

I sat down a few weeks ago and wrote out a long list of Warm Weather menu plans.  Many of you have told me you draw inspiration from my menus. I thought perhaps you might like to see some of the ideas I jotted down.  It's by no means my whole list but I think these are the ones I serve most often.  

Tuna Pasta Salad, Saltines, Sliced Cucumbers, Tomato Soup.  I don't serve all of these together all of the time but it's nice to remind myself I have that option if we want a little something more.  Sliced Radishes or tomatoes are also an option to go with this meal.

Tuna Burgers on Buns with Fixings, Chips/Potato Sticks/Fries.  I haven't made these in years, but they can be quite tasty.  Since John isn't fond of fish fillets, this is my option for a good fish sandwich.  Chips are usually on hand but in summer, I'm more prone to buy those canned potato sticks.  Fries are also an option.  I usually opt to do those in the toaster oven.

Tuna or Chicken Salad Plates, Lemonade, Hot Muffins, Croissants or toast triangles.  This is a menu I served often when my two oldest were young.  I even served it to friends on hot summer evenings.  I like to serve this as a big scoop of salad on Lettuce leaves, then surround it with carrot sticks, boiled egg halves, celery sticks, etc.  

Salads of all sorts are a wonderful alternative to a big heavy meal but that doesn't mean that the salads are lightweight.  They often can be very filling.  

Taco Salad Bowls.  This is truly a one bowl meal.  I remember when I first made this, for a teacher's appreciation luncheon in the 1980's.  It's still a favorite of ours here at home.  Warm, not hot, Taco seasoned beef (lentils, turkey or chicken would do as well), grated cheese, diced tomatoes, avocados for those who like it, green onions or diced red onion, Crushed Doritos/Fritos or Tortilla Chips and a French or Ranch Dressing.  It's a filling meal and usually a great hit with everyone who tries it.

Asian Lettuce Rolls, Cucumbers, Radishes, Pickled Ginger, Red or Green Onions, Carrots, Rice.    Butter or Boston Lettuce works best in this dish.  You can use whatever ground meat you choose.  I've used beef, but you could easily use chicken or pork as well.  The meat can be formed into torpedo shapes or kept loose.  Soy sauce, ginger, garlic to season the meat.  Place meat, rice, choice of toppings and wrap in lettuce leave.  Dip in your choice of sauce.  I like to use a lime/soy/brown sugar sauce for the extra tanginess.  You could add in egg rolls too for an extra side to help fill folks up.

Buffalo Chicken Salad, Corn Muffins.  I like to use frozen fried chicken tenders and make my own buffalo sauce.  With carrot and celery strips, blue cheese chunks and a ranch based dressing (blue cheese is also delicious) this is also a hearty filling salad.

Italian Pasta Salad Bowls, Cheesy Breadsticks.  This one is fairly new to me.  I had it one night at our Coffee House.  The girl used a rotini pasta, added in hot salami, black olives, red onion, chopped tomato, mozzarella cubes and a tasty Italian dressing.  I think you could easily include pepperoncini and some hearty lettuce like romaine pieces to this salad, too.  I thought serving it with Breadsticks would be delicious but so would crisp garden toast.

Cold Cut plates, Potato Salad, 3 Bean Salad, Rolls.

Sometimes I want a hot meal, regardless of the outdoor temperature but not a super heavy one, you know?  Here are a few of my current ideas for those.

Beans and Rice.  Black beans and rice, Pico de Gallo, Green Salad, Warm Tortillas.    Red Beans and Rice with Coleslaw and Hushpuppies.

Portabella Fajitas, Green Salad, Tortilla Chips, Salsa

Chicken Souvlaki, Pita Bread, Greek Salad (tomato, feta, cucumber), Couscous.

Steak and Garlic Green Bean Skillet, Rice, Cherry Tomatoes.  This recipe is one I found in a magazine years ago and it's silly simple.  Just a soy and garlic sauce over stir fried steak and whole green beans.  

Bbq Chicken and Pineapple Kebabs, Rice.  With bell peppers and onions this is a complete meal to go over rice.  I also like to do an Italian flavored Beef with mushrooms, zucchini, onions, peppers, also served over rice.  

7 Layer Dip, Tortilla Chips.  You can do this with refried beans or taco seasoned ground meat but sometimes, you just want a snacky sort of meal on a really hot summer's day.  

Other go-to's for our meals on these summer days: anything we can grill outdoors.  Chef's salads.  Fried Rice with Eggrolls and fresh veggies or fruits.  

I almost always serve salad daily with meals because it's light and filling.  You'll note I serve pasta or rice more often than I do potatoes, but a Baked Potato Bar is both a great way to use up leftovers and a good filling nutrient rich meal as well.  I use the microwave to bake my potatoes in summer, but you could use your slow cooker or instant pot.

I like to keep a can of 3-Bean Salad on hand.  Other salads I also serve in summer, is a Marinated Green Bean and Cherry Tomato salad, a Fresh tomato sauce that is super delicious over pasta.  

Sandwiches are always welcome, and while John would love it if every sandwich meal was a Sub, it doesn't have to be.  But most all sandwiches, include a plethora of fresh veggies sliced thin so it's really just a matter of what choice of bread you want.  I do try to keep a few cold cuts on hand.  Here's where my tastes don't necessarily match my ability to spend but I do watch for quality meats on sale, and I can and do make a few of my own thin sliced meats like turkey, ham, chicken or roast beef.  It's really just a matter of figuring out how to season meat.  You can make your own pastrami at home.  One of my favorite luncheon hams has sundried tomato and rosemary.  I have those ingredients right here in my home.  Turkey breast can be smeared with a herbed mayonnaise and then baked and sliced thin.  It's delicious and tender.  You can change the flavor with the combination of herbs you use.

I keep cans of chilled fruit cocktail, pineapple, peaches, oranges.  Any of these with cottage cheese are quite good.  I personally really like applesauce with cottage cheese.

It's also nice to freeze some fruits like grapes and blueberries.  Freezing increases the sugariness and so less is more.

I also like to keep pudding and gelatin in the fridge.  I try to keep chilled desserts, mostly dairy based on hand, including ice box cakes (essentially layers of whipped cream and cookies), or an ice box coconut cake.

6 comments:

Cindi Myers said...

These all sound delicious. We have some kind of sandwich one night a week all summer and try to grill once or twice a week too.

Robin said...

Thank you Terri! I am going to the grocery store in a day or two and will use these ideas. This is very helpful and something my husband and I will use. Have a good week…we are having a mildly cool couple of days for mid-June…hope you are too.

Sue said...

Thank you for taking the time to make that wonderful list for us, Teri. It's always so helpful to see what others do for summer meals.

I keep cans of bean salad and fruits in my fridge, too! Nothing is as refreshing as chilled bean salad or mandarin oranges. YUM!

I do freeze grapes but have never done so with blueberries. Gonna try it!

One of my favorite summer meals is tabouleh, but made with quinoa, rather than bulger.
I cook the quinoa and add lemon (zest and juice), olive oil, salt & pepper while it's still hot. Then after it's cooled I add the chopped veggies: cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red pepper, green pepper, loads of parsley and any other veggie that suits me (radishes, shredded carrot, celery, etc). Mix and let marinate, then serve. I love it with feta cheese and black olives, with tuna, sardines, or salmon. Briny canned fish really seem to work well in this. I could happily eat this every day.

Chef Owings said...

Mother always had meat, fried potatoes and what ever veggie was coming in from the garden. Once in awhile a friend would bring over hotdogs and hamburgers for Daddy to grill, Mother still fried potatoes. I don't even remember coleslaw.

Deanna said...

I don't know if you've seen my monthly vintage menu posts but I noticed the very same thing about the June meals. They really don't seem any different than cool weather meals other than the seasonal produce. I was a bit surprised by that.

Here is the post in case anyone wants to see what I'm talking about:

https://lifewithdee.com/vintage-menu-plans-june-2/

terricheney said...

Cindi, I did serve sandwiches one night last week...And I thought then that was a great supper for a very hot day as well. Thank you for reminding me of the need to add that to my list.

Deanna, Yes! I noted that in the same cookbook (a favorite of mine as well as yours).

Juls, growing up we ate produce for breakfast, lunch (garden salad sandwiches were always a big hit with some pepper, cucumber, tomato, green onions and bought lettuce), and ate fresh cooked veggies, too. And snacks were cantaloupes and melons...

Sue, I think it's Rhonda at If You Do Stuff who also loves Tabbouleh. I've got to try that!

Robin, I'm so happy to have helped!