Thrifty Thursday: Roll With It

 


I took the more difficult path last Thursday afternoon.  I wanted to make Enchiladas but had no tortillas.  I'd asked twice if others who were going out would please pick some up.  No one did.  I finally decided that since I didn't want to go to town myself, I'd just pull out my recipe and make some.  So I did.  I got fifteen and gave the 16th to Caleb to roll out on his own with his little rolling pin.  I cooked it for him, too, and he ate every bite of it.  

Truth: they were a tad too thick, and they were tough.  I'm pretty sure I know where I went wrong.  I skipped adding the oil called for and didn't knead them quite enough.  I knew this but just pushed ahead anyway.  Next time, I'll do this in a timelier way and knead them properly.


They were quite good as enchiladas if they were a tad chewy.  And how much did this cost me?  I mean, it was just 3 cups of flour from a 25-pound bag, so it truly was pennies and about 30 minutes of time including the 15-minute rest time.  Had I gone to town, I'd have taken at least the 30 minutes going in and coming back and no doubt I'd have spent a load more because I'm sure I'd have picked up all the things that looked like they needed to come home with me.  

Friday, I decided I wanted something other than what was on the menu.  Oh, the luxury of having a freezer so I can pick and choose.  

Saturday, I finally decided to make a Potato dish to carry to the meal we were invited to that afternoon.  I went to an Estate sale and found a pretty little silver bud vase.  I got Grace Livingston Hill vibes, thinking of The Honor Girl and the bud vase that her brother put on her new vanity and kept filled with a fresh rose.  I also bought a Tupperware type bread container which exactly fits my long loaf of homemade bread.  Books.  Always with the books.  And a table.  The table is solid wood and lovely.  An old-fashioned piece that doesn't quite fit my decor, but it was love at first sight.  I can't get a vanity out of mind that I'm sure I spied in the recesses of another poorly lit room.  

I served the leftover potato dish with our Sunday fried chicken dinner.  I used leftover cooked spaghetti to make Spaghetti and Cheese.  That is just a variation on Mac n Cheese.  I also roasted some veggies to go with that meal.  I used a handful of not quite fresh Brussel sprouts, another portion of the butternut squash I cut last week to serve with my roast chicken dinner, some cauliflower, broccoli and onions.  It was very good.

I made up a half pound of sausage using some ground turkey that I knew we wouldn't eat otherwise.  We like turkey sausage but we're not fond of ground turkey as a substitute for ground beef.

2 comments:

Chef Owings said...

Not only that... you saved fuel and wear and tear on the car. That also helps the environment.

terricheney said...

Juls, you living in a rural area will understand more about how we operate here. I don't go anywhere unless I can do three, four, five things at once in the same area. My former sister in law and my lovely daughter and daughter in law will run into town for one item...I follow the path of my grandparents in shopping only when I have a fully loaded list and multiples of errands to run.

The Homemaker Plans Her Week: Baby Blue