Menu Monday



I'm pretty pleased.  With only two exceptions, we cooked what was actually on the menu last week!  The two exceptions: No Fried Rice. I reheated that leftover rice to make the pilaf for the Pakistani chicken dish and very few leftovers.  In fact, there was only a bare two servings of mac and cheese and five pieces of hot wings left.  I'd have had those for dinner yesterday but was invited Saturday to spend Sunday dinner with friends.

So we start fresh this week.

Monday:  Pastitio, Green Salad, Crusty Rolls, Apple Pie
Nothing thawed this morning...my fault.  I should have gotten things from the freezer last night when I thought of it but I was being lazy.  The heater had the living room all cozy, I had a good movie on...I have good excuses, lol.
So when dinnertime was quite near, I suddenly sprung into action and made up the pasta dish using the leftover mac and cheese, with the extra cheese sauce left when I made it last week with a ground meat/tomato sauce base under it all.  It wasn't bad.  I made a couple of mistakes and knew they were mistakes but that's on me, so it was a bit of a mess, but a GOOD mess.
Apple Pie from wrinkly apples that John would never eat otherwise.  Funny how good he thinks those same apples are when in a pie...Saved the cores and peels to add my stash for making apple jelly.

Tuesday:  Swedish Meatballs, Noodles, Russian Salad

We've got to run a couple of errands this morning.  I'll hopefully get the meatballs ready to cook before we leave, then I can pop them in the pan when we're back home again.  Salad is nothing more than some of the red and green lettuces I bought last week, boiled egg, shredded pickled beets, Russian dressing.  Sounds more exotic though to say it's Russian, agreed?




Wednesday:  Vegetable Beef Soup, Cornbread
I have some leftover roast beef and beef broth in the freezer.  It's supposed to be cool and rainy some of the week and I think soup and cornbread just fills the menu nicely when inclement weather is to be had.  I'd like to make up a batch of cookies too.  Something with cinnamon and spice, maybe Snickerdoodles?

Thursday:  Barbecued Chicken, Scalloped Potatoes, Black Eyed Peas, Cornbread
I can make the chicken for my dinner and put some in John's lunch as sandwiches.  Makes a nice change for him too.  I'm sure to have cornbread left from my soup dinner, so I'll just reheat.

Friday:  Food court Feast
I've got an especially long list of tasks to do this week because I've been so slack about accomplishing a thing the last two weeks.  As incentive I've promised myself a Fun Friday.  I want to go to the nearby mall (which is a real mall, not like that Big City bust visit last year, lol) and the food court will do nicely for dinner that day.  No idea what I'll choose to eat but there are a variety of choices to be had.

Saturday:   Pot Roast with Vegetables, 24 hour salad, Homemade Bread
I'll put the roast on to cook before I leave home and make the salad and bread Friday morning before I leave for my fun day.

Sunday:  Leftovers day
Since I'm making roast on Saturday I'm sure to have some sort of leftovers.  I'm sure also of leftover soup, so I'll take the day off from cooking, if not from my other chores, and eat whatever I have in the fridge.  




1 comment:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for stopping by! Looks like you have a very organized menu for the week. Thanks for the suggestion on the soup. Never had this to happen before. I did use tomatoes with bell peppers and onions this time and a different brand of mixed veggies - thinking that may be the problem. Will check the sugar content next trip to the store - if I remember.