Coffee Chat: Rainy Day At Home





Hello and hurry right in!  Hot Coffee or Tea?  It always seems appropriate when it's pouring rain to have a cup of something hot to drink, agreed?  I've got  fruit cake in the freezer.  I'll slice a few pieces and we'll let them thaw while the coffee makes and the water boils to steep the tea.

John is at work...Now I'm both sorry and not sorry if you know what I mean.  For one thing, I have puttered about doing things as I felt like rather than having someone make me aware that it's mealtime.   Lest you think he won't fix his own food, he can and will.  But he's very aware that I often have a plan and he is willing to work with it rather than spoil them.  I appreciate that he's rarely fussy or insistent upon a plan other than my own.



I'm sorry he's working because oddly enough I find I miss him!  I'm as surprised by this as I was surprised by grief when Katie left home.   There's just no accounting for how your personal feelings will sneak up upon you is there?  Well I do miss him.  I've spent pretty much every day for the past three months with him at home and since we've gone nowhere and it's mostly the two of us, the house seems rather empty when he's gone.

I'm sorry too that he's working during this virus business but that's what he's trained to do and help was needed so he went to help.  He'll be back home this evening.  I didn't lecture him about what he ought to do.  He is, after all, a professional.

I've done very little today...and I mean that though if you asked what I'd done, I'd list my tasks out and you'd probably chuckle a little because it's not heavy work but it was enough work.   Still less than I'd normally do and certainly less than I've done all week long.  I slept too little last night and got up with John this morning.   Sleep eluded me due to both anxiety over what I suspect was a weather change coming in and because my back truly ached after my two days of outdoor worked.  And then there is that awareness that the alarm is going to go off much too early...That's always a little anxiety causing as well as you watch the clock tick along and you know you're losing all the possible moments you might have had to go to sleep.

Well the day started quite early and I sat in the kitchen looking out the window after John left thinking I'd see the sunrise.  Not this morning.   It was cloudy and grey out. 

I decided that what I really wanted to do today was to watch television.  So I went about getting things done early so that I could spend the afternoon with the tv.

This morning I also experimented with that Buttermilk Oatmeal Loaf and I added raisins to it and cinnamon.  I am having a problem at present with my breads and according to research I've got more another adjustment to make in order to sort that out but I'm definitely on the right track with this bread now.  I suppose I could offer you some of that to try with butter.   Would you like some? 

And then I settled at last with the television.  I scrolled through everything on Netflix and found 1 program I thought I'd like to watch and share with John....Then scrolled through Amazon and ended up watching cooking shows which I find both inspirational and comforting.  I confess what I was after though was Jane Austen films...All I found required a purchase.  Spending money had not been on my agenda and if I were to spend I'd buy one of the films from my list of wanted movies.

So I found an old Julia Child , The French Chef, and watcher her make Beef Bourguinon and discovered that it isn't in the least intimidating or expensive to make really.  I was rather surprised.    Julia suggested using Chuck roast, just good old chuck roast as the very best meat.  The whole process can be done slowly, from cooking to assembling to reheating.  I'm going to get a  bottle of red wine (she suggests a 'new' wine rather than an aged one because she said the whole dish is a peasant meal and the wine should suit it and it the wine.  An expensive aged wine would simply be lost.)  The beauty of the whole process is that you can do the same with chicken (which becomes Coq au Vin) or lamb.

After that program, I watched an episode of Julia and Jacques Pepin where they cooked various cuts of steak and ended with Hamburgers.  I was reminded of how I passed many a Saturday afternoon watching Julia Child or Jacques Pepin in the winter months.   Absolutely loved those Saturday afternoons.

And then I ended up with a Mary Berry program in which she cooked a lamb stew that was almost exactly the same recipe Julia Child cooked.   The only difference was that Julia served her stew with whole boiled potatoes sprinkled with parsley and Mary Berry served hers with mashed potatoes.

In America, we often put the potatoes IN the stew...

I'm always intrigued about how things translate from one culture to another.  I've often mentioned my love of how ravioli   translate into pierogi and pot stickers.  Cross cultural cuisine really.

Truthfully dears I have little to say today.    I think I just felt ready for a bit of chatter.  That's quite all right, isn't it?  To just want to chat away in a neighborly way?

John and I talk a lot.  We speak of spiritual things and political things and home centered things but I'm afraid when it comes to talking about cooking or lawnmowers a bit of eye rolling starts on both our parts.  I don't mention home decor ideas because he immediately gets alarmed thinking of how much it will all cost and you and I both know that a lot of thinking and talking it out with ourselves goes on long before we get down to the dirty basics of budget and hard work that create the desired effects on a budget.   Ditto for wardrobes and we'll forget entirely thinking about beauty routines or makeup and nail polish.  He's rather prone to glazing over when I speak of gardening too.  I can't fault him there.  I do pretty much the same thing after about the fourth sentence of the merits of this guitar or amp over that one.   Sometimes I think it's absolutely wonderful that we feel any attraction at all to one another given that we are essentially so very different, lol.

I haven't bothered to come up with a single outfit or even to put my final spring capsule wardrobe together.  It seems rather silly given the limited number of times I might possibly leave the house in the next month or two.  I expect to go to the grocery perhaps twice in April and again perhaps that many times in May. 

I am not complaining.  All of my thoughts have turned to home and cooking and sewing, planting and baking...And that's not a bad thing at all.  I'm saving my allowances just now.  No clue what I'm going to do with them but it might be garden plants or roses,  or new pillow covers for summer or...who knows?  It's just easy to save that pocket money when one is at home and so I shall let it build until I can get out to get things I want for home or wardrobe.

Well dears, I've enjoyed it.   There's the sun once more. It's meant to rain again this afternoon so hurry home between showers.  I need to gather my brain and think of something to make for dinner tonight, something that will hold over reasonably well to feed John when he comes in tonight.   It would do me well to run through my freezer meat stock to see what I need to look for tomorrow when we grocery shop.

Come again!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will bring cinnamon rolls but I will eat your fruitcake. Love it and used to make a lot for Christmas.Our bread is getting stale and was going to make bread but then Gramps likes them better than bread. Gave half to my daughter. We have been chowing down enough
We are still having cold winds and rainy days. This weekend is supposed to be nicer.
Our state of NY has really been hit hard with this virus. We have 10 cases in our county and a number of people in quarantine.Yesterday Dick went for bloodwork and you got questioned at the door, got a mask got registered then went back to your car to sit until they called you. When you go back in there is space for about 7 draws but they were doing them one at a time. A big sign no waiting in the waiting room. When I got home I had a call that my cardiologist appt. was cancelled until June. I am finding contentment staying at home. I dont getvany more things done, I think I have gotten into there is always tomorrow mindset. I think NY will be quarantined until the end of April. Stay safe and well. Gramma D




meg said...

Thank you for all you do. I have been reading for years and can relate to many of the things that you share. I want you to know it is especially helpful during these stressful times and it is appreciated.
I am 62 and work as a school admin. Thankfully we are off until at least May. My husband has been retired for 3 years and we now we are adjusting to be home together. LOL

Anonymous said...

Teri, is it safe for John to be going out in this mess? I'm antsy just going out for groceries. I hear so much about people being short on supplies. I hope his crew has plenty of masks,etc. I will keep him
and you in my thoughts and prayers.

Shell

Lana said...

We went out to Aldi this morning and arrived when they opened which we will not do again. There was a mob waiting to get in and people would not keep their distance in the store so next time we plan to arrive 30 to 45 minutes after opening and that first crowd will be gone. We were happy to see a very well stocked store. We got most of what we needed there. Then we went down the street to Lidl and saw that they were not busy at all so we stopped there and got everything else on our list. I was very surprised since two weeks ago we only got half our list. Aldi produce prices were really good and red grapes were only .39 a pound and bags of navel oranges were only .69 a bag! The date on our milk will not make it two weeks but I have shelf stable milk to fill in with at the end. I am happy to be restocked so well but not happy to think we will not go out again for at least two weeks. I waited to make menus for the two weeks until we were home so that I would know what I had to work with so now we just cook and eat. I hope grocery supplies are improving for everyone else, too.

Karen in WI said...

Terri, your comment, ‘All of my thoughts have turned to home and cooking and sewing, planting and baking’, really resonated with me! I try to peek at the news and then go right back to thinking about all those things after I say a prayer for my family and the world. Your husband and all the other healthcare workers are just amazing and we owe them so much! I hope your county has enough protective equipment and I will include your husband in my prayers.

My husband spent so much of our marriage traveling for work and working that it feels quite odd to have him home all the time! It’s quite lovely, but sometimes I actually feel like I need a bit of alone time too. The sun FINALLY came out this afternoon and it looks like it is staying. I quick went out and started pruning and doing some perennial cleanup. My 18 yo came out and helped a bunch so I got a lot done. I’m going to try to get back out for a walk as it just so lovely out. I opened all the windows up to get some fresh air for 15 minutes. My youngest was playing basketball and my husband sneaked out to play with him for a few minutes. He really misses his friends, but I’m so glad he still has one older brother at home to hang out with.

I have an easier supper to make tonight (chicken stir fry) so I think I will try to make labels for my soap to give to the food pantry. I am not running errands and therefore am not giving soap away and I think it’s one of the items that may be out of stock at some stores. My 15 yo son is going to make a batch of soap with me on Friday as a substitute for his art class that he is missing. I am going to gradually bring out my spring decor now that April is here. The gloomy cold days were really getting to me with everything else going on. I will ask my husband to bring out our little green tablet and chairs for the front porch. I am going to hold off on the rest of the front porch things until 4/15 as we still may get snow.

Well I do hope the sun came out for you today too! Did you sleep better last night? Thank you for your blog as it has been such a comfort to me these past few years. I really appreciate it. Hugs to you!

Liz from New York said...

I lol’d when you mentioned wardrobe! Here I was picking out all sorts of cute spring outfits, and boom.quarentine. So I’m literally wearing out my ‘at home clothes’, getting sick of yoga pants and T-shirt/ sweaters. They are getting threadbare. I had to replace all the pavers, and retaining walls around my home, to the tune of $ 20,000 😭. We reused the same materials, but the labor costs.. oy-vey!
We’ve saved over the last couple years for it, so thankfully no loans or credit is needed, but boy it hurts to see it fly away. All the kids activities are cancelled, so I’m saving a lot of money right there. I’ve been trying to create restaurant type meals at home, and it’s been quite enjoyable. Just praying everyone stays healthy. Best, Liz

terricheney said...

Dora, I have seen the numbers for New York and understand how very high and concerning they are...I think a lot of doctor's offices are doing the check in and call you to the waiting room thing. Noted that many stores are now allowing only ten people at a time in. Yes indeed the sun came out after the rain yesterday.

Dear Meg, thank you for taking time to comment. Our governor announced today that there will be no more school this year.

Shell, No it's not 'safe' and yes it is at the same time. They are practicing full precautions. What's more the county has had a noticeable lack of calls of late as many people are taking this thing seriously. Fortunately the girl who works with him this week also has worked in one of the harder hit counties and kept him fully aware of sanitizing, wearing mask/gloves etc.
But in the end, this is his training and his job and while he is retired he had agreed to work part time when the crew was in need. He is incredibly loyal as well as professional and at this point in time, he will go in when asked regardless of danger.
Nor is it our first rodeo...When the county experienced a flooding disaster he worked on the opposite side of the county from where we (his family) were because that was what was asked of him. It's something we accept as a family.

Lana, Aldi was no more crowded than usual today for us. People mostly kept their distance. Our only issue was an employee who did not even consider social distance or personal space either. There were outages at Aldi and Publix but different ones so we covered most of our list and Mama's as well.

Karen, I've enjoyed my sunny days in the yard...Today John took us on a long way home and it was lovely. I said it was because nature still seems normal.

Liz, I am in complete sympathy. I put on makeup last Friday for the first time in two weeks and told Katie how I'd used my eyeliner as my brow pencil because I have apparently forgotten how to do makeup, lol. It was awfully nice to 'get dressed' today too...Sigh. I'm going to have to do something different since I expect this will be life for the next 10 weeks!

Deanna said...

I watched that very same episode of The French Chef last week. :) I've made boeuf bourguignon once before and it was truly delicious and not hard to make. As soon as I can get a roast I plan to do it again.

Louise said...

Teri, I just stumbled upon a You Tube Channel you might like.. his name is Ken Click....https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4bgbP1BW74_DE8loU45i6Q and his recipes seem to be easy inexpensive ones that look to make small portions.. I thought you might like to check it out..