The Week Ahead: A Little Sun!



It is these sunny weekends that fuel me for the weeks of rain we've had of late.  We've got rain coming in again this week but hopefully there will be more of a mix of sun, as well. 

As we headed out the door on Friday I immediately experienced stuffy ears.  I'd had my allergy meds, too, but then I noticed that the region on my bottle was completely different from the region I'd thought I was ordering...Phooey!  No wonder I'm getting only mild relief!   I sat down on Saturday morning and ordered from another company and yes, I did indeed order the right one this time around.



I didn't let my allergies daunt me in the least in going out to have fun but I felt a bit worse for wear on Saturday.  I spent my day watching the birds at the feeder hanging from the pecan tree outside the living room windows and wishing I could go outdoors and just sit in the sun.  Again, that housebound feeling has crept in pretty hard.

I realized that I've been at home a good deal more in the past five months as John had reduced pay checks with all the extra time he had to use up prior to retirement.   Unsure if we'd manage monthly we opted to just stay home.  The weather these past two months has been a great encouragement in that area as well.  I've made up my mind that I simply must get OUT of the house at least once a week (aside from church).   John is prone to do a hurry up sort of trip somewhere, but I'm trying to avoid a hurried rush as well as one that focuses mainly on spending.   Time to get a new list made, one of adventures I'd like to take, all within an easy day trip driving distance.  Gracious goodness, there are loads of state parks, historical towns and sites to see, most for the cost of gasoline and since I've budgeted for our usual monthly amount and we're not spending it, why not use that as entertainment?


Work Week:  

This week we get our first monthly check.  That means I need to work up bills and plan well ahead.  I sort of worked ahead with part of this last week when I was alone and I think I can set aside a full month's grocery budget, too.  It will ease our passage at the end of the month.  In February, I took a sum from a small check we receive and we used all of it and then a bit more getting grocery money and allowances.  I'd much rather not make it a habit to run a deficit for 10 days a month!  So I'll take it out of the big check and just make sure it's set aside.

It's too early to plant flowers, and too wet, too...but at this time I can start purchasing mulch and landscape bricks to work on the big project of the around the house flower beds I've planned.   I'll get a few every two weeks.   Small bites.

And there are a few weeding jobs to attend to if I feel I can brave the allergies for a few minutes one or two days.

Spring cleaning indoors....Nothing really heavy but I mean to walk through the house with the camera and 'see' what needs to be done and tackle it one room at a time.  Dusting walls will be one of my jobs.

I've made my list of things to be bought or repaired indoors.  I'll try to get a list made for outdoor jobs as well.

I also have a grocery list for Katie that I keep tweaking.  She's been doing one small shop a month for us when she does her own shopping.  I like this because it's helping me reduce impulse purchases.  Katie knows my tastes and does a great job of helping me keep in my budget.

This week I'm going to make up a batch of those freezer crescent rolls I made last year.   They were so lovely and nice to pull from the freezer, thaw and rise and bake.  I'm also going to make bagels and English Muffins.

Meals This Week:

I've been looking at recipe sites, watching cooking vlogs, reading recipes in my cookbooks...Golly but I'm ready for something new to us that doesn't require expensive or unusual ingredients.    Do you know what I'm mostly finding myself doing?  Going back to the good basic recipes I used in our 'broke' days simply because they are good foods with good taste.   I just don't have to stretch them with added rice or pasta as I used to do!    Some 'new' recipes I've found are just twists on some of my old ones, like a lovely broccoli salad that has pears as well as apples in it.  Katie once told a cousin I was more a gourmet cook but I think these days I'm more a retro cook!

Spaghetti ala Diable, Green Salad, Garlic Bread

Mac and Cheese, Pan Roasted Vegetables, Green Salad
(I'll double this entree and freeze for a future meal)

Salisbury Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Asparagus

Homemade Veggie Soup, Cornbread
(this too should net a quart or two for the freezer)

Beef Pot Pie, Pear Salad

Bbq Chicken, Coleslaw, Corn

open to inspiration 

7 comments:

Chef Owings said...

I like the retro cook part.. When we crunch the food budget to pay for other things that is the way I go

Mable said...

Crumpets are another easy to make bread type item. I like them better than English muffins, in terms of texture.

terricheney said...

Juls, I do too...

Mable, I'll look up crumpet recipes. We don't eat loads of English muffins, preferring bagels overall but I do like them now and then.

Karen in WI said...

Terri, I think your rain has come our way. Rained all day today and is supposed to rain until Friday. Better than snow...no shoveling! I can imagine how housebound you have felt!

This week I am taking a bit of a rest as the family takes care of the daily cooking and cleaning. I have increasingly felt tired and just thought that I would eventually get my vitality back after the stressful few years with our son’s injury, but I seemed to be getting worse. I went into my doctor as I had to get a new thyroid prescription anyway. Thanks goodness he is an integrative MD and does a boat load of blood tests which found that I had a kidney infection (in addition to my hormones being WAY out of whack and my thyroid low). I had no idea and wondered how long I’ve had it. Well, he has me on a regimen of homeopathy and supplements and I am already feeling better. When I lay down to do my daily stretches, my back doesn’t ache like it has constantly for months now. Well, your kidneys are right by your lower back and my doctor thinks that may be why I have had back issues that have persisted. Well, my dear family is going to do the lion’s share of the cooking and cleaning this week so I can rest and focus on getting better. I think it’s just what I need! So I will be visiting here a bit more as I will have lots of leisure time!

My oldest son lives just north of Seattle and commutes to Seattle for work on public transportation so I am a bit worried about him with the coronavirus spreading rapidly there, but I am praying and I have sent him several things to help with his immune system (essential oils with a diffuser, more elderberry syrup, supplements, etc.). Even though we are being told that you can get tested if your doctor orders it, people in the Seattle area who have coughs, etc. cannot get tested even with a doctor’s order, unless they fit the narrow criteria of having traveled to certain countries the last few months or have come in direct contact with someone who has the virus. So many people are dealing with colds, flus, or other viruses or maybe coronavirus, but have no idea and are worried. I am praying that more test kits will be made available very soon.

Well, I’m off to read and think I will start the book, A River Runs Through It. I saw the movie years ago, but have never read the book. Have a lovely evening dear friend!

terricheney said...

Karen I'm keeping you in prayers...Rest well dearest and enjoy that reading!

Unknown said...

I really think the Chinese government is in part responsible for this outbreak. They did not pass a law until this started happening about people selling and eating exotic animals that can pass diseases onto humans.The same thing happened with the SARS virus. They found out later that it could have originated with animals. It had to come from somewhere,folks. It didn't just pop up out of thin air. They even eat Pangolins.(A type of anteater)
Everybody just kind of turns a blind eye. Like the situation with the locusts,in Africa. They are asking permission from the terrorist group that resides on the land that has the greatest infestation,to spray the property, to get rid of the locusts. HUH?? The government there is asking permission of a terrorist group? Sounds crazy to me.
I really feel bad for the people who have had to suffer through the Coronavirus and lose loved ones as well.I pray for them every night.
The whole world seems a little crazy lately. I just hope it gets better.
Terri, this will probably sound a little odd and kind of lazy to you,but I find that if I have the right tools I can work better, as far as housework goes. I really like Swiffer products. They have a dusting kit that helps me breeze through my dusting. It also helps me to have a vacuum that is always clean and efficient. I have two floors I have to do,so many of your suggestions were right on the money. Thanks for the tips.

Shell

terricheney said...

Shell I never regret a good tool be it a cleaning tool or a piece for my kitchen. I was just telling John the other day how much I have appreciated having those new (2 years ago now? lol but still new) stainless steel cake pans. I use them over and over and they never have failed me whether I'm using them to make up a casserole or a cake.

I also find keeping cleaning products in places where they are most commonly used is worthwhile. I have some in the kitchen, some in each bathroom and therefore I never have to go fetch something when I see something needs to be cleaned. If I had two floors I'd keep a broom and dustpan and a vacuum upstairs as well as down!