The Week Ahead: Home Is Our Weapon



I think it was Friday morning when I woke and asked myself:  "Is this even real?"  Unfortunately/Fortunately it is.    Yes, I do see it all as a mixed blessing.  I see so many saying how much they love being at home, people who normally don't get to be home.  I see many women enjoying baking.  So many feel compelled to bake: bread, cookies, muffins, cakes, bagels.  There's a sense of comfort in filling a home with the warm scent of yeast or sugar.

This morning, I woke earlier than John.  My first task each day is to open the shades and in doing so I discovered that overnight the world was no longer birthing green but is fully green.  I stood gazing out at a world that looks so normal and not in the least bit scary or dangerous.  I had coffee and had put my tea to steep when John got up.



Normal every day things: showering and being grateful for the warm water, sipping hot tea and enjoying a homemade bagel, rocking gently while I read my Bible.  Making the bed. Folding the quilt I've been sheltering under at night for the past month.  Normal.  It's all so normal and so soothing.

And yet it's scary and tense.  Numbers in our state have gone from less than 100 to over 2500 and today there's a case in our county.

In the end it is a war.  A war with an enemy we can't see.  A war in which we have no weapons we can employ except to pray, wash our hands and stay at home.  Home as a weapon...We homemakers have always known home was our greatest weapon against the world outside our doors.

I leave you with this blessing for the week ahead:

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26


Work:

I did get some weeding done last week and John sprayed those areas where I think poison exists.  I'm not keen to have another spring bout of poison ivy or oak.  I want to finish cleaning out the bed at the corner of the deck/patio.  I can plant seeds in it any time.

The furnishings on the back porch are cleaned...but I left a mess on the end near the steps.  I have a lot of stuff I need to move elsewhere.  I have to clean our grill.  Sort through stuff that has been piled at the end of the porch.  Determine how I might salvage the Boston fern.  Move things to the sheds. I need to do stuff to say the least.  And then I need to start on the front porch.

I saw the most beautiful tomato plants at the grocery and was reminded of my own vow to plant tomatoes, potatoes, squash, zucchini, jalapenos and green beans.  I shall do my best this next week to get those things and set them out in plots. I think the 'flower bed' I put next to the shed is going to be my garden bed.  

I will paint the planter and get it ready to plant.  I am going to do a mix of flowers and herbs this year in that planter.  I need to clear out the flower bed next to the steps which is where I plan to put it.  

I have a bucket full of glads, daffodils and day lily that I dug up last fall and need to replant.  I'll need to break up a new bit of ground for those things, so this might go slow...

Shed: organize the back end of it, finish cleaning and sort through the plant pots and hanging baskets etc.  

Get the guest room up to par.  

Sew those pillow covers I keep putting off sewing.

Go through my fabric stash and plan new aprons.  I have three but I really need more if I'm going to change daily as I'd like to do.  Besides I think it will be fun to make up a batch of aprons of all sorts.

Try that Oatmeal bread recipe once more.  I'm altering it...We'll see how it goes.

Make Easter cards to send to each of the family homes for the grandchildren.

And the very real 'work' for me these days: take time to read for at least an hour, be creative in some way each day, sit on the porch with coffee...I need this time daily, too, as much as work.


Meals:  

Fried Chicken, Fries, Coleslaw
A box of frozen fried chicken and it's purely an indulgence.  I also bought frozen fries...The coleslaw was homemade, lol.  This was okay.  Cheaper than take out which we don't have locally but I'll probably not buy this again.  Okay is not worth the extra expense, you know?  I want us to feel we've had a treat if we're going to spend that bit extra.  

Spaghetti a la  Diable, Green Salad, Bread and Butter
Frozen from freezer

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya, Corn bread
I've never made this before but plan to try a recipe I found online.  


Meatball Heroes, Chips, Carrot Sticks


Steak, Tomato and Blue cheese Salad, Garlic Toast, Baked Potato
leftover carne pisada meat will go on these salads.  I'm slating this recipe for after grocery shopping since I'll need tomatoes, blue cheese dressing, and baking potatoes.

6 comments:

Lana said...

Hard to hear, but only a Merciful and loving God would have stayed His hand of judgement for so long. The reality is that today is 4 weeks since the first Covid-19 death in the US which now total 2246 but in those same 4 weeks there have been 90,000 babies killed by abortion and yet no one mourns for them or even mentions them.

Karen in WI said...

Terri,
Thank you for giving me the bread recipe! I love taking a little afternoon break and check your blog. Today I started the first outdoor spring chores as the weather allowed me to get out there. I pruned for an hour and just started on some clean up which should have been done in fall. I cleaned out my pantry this past weekend and just finished wiping down half the cupboards with a wood cleaner. Almost there! And I must be finished these last two days of March as every day I need to do yard and garden work in April.

So far we have been able to stay at home except for one trip a week to the natural food store, which my husband does. We are ordering online and picking up from a large area store every 7-10 days so not much contact. Our 18 yo is fretting over not working and therefore no money coming in, but he has an emergency fund and doesn’t have any car payment, etc. I told him it was a good lesson to never have debt except for a home mortgage and he agreed. He is doing online classes after a 2 week spring break. To tell the truth, i am glad he isn’t working as he is not being exposed or bringing it home to us. I am worried about the older two boys, but trying to give that to Jehovah!

The sun just peeked out for the first time in days! I do hope you have a lovely day today. Off to start supper and get overnight oats in the fridge. Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

"We homemakers have always known home was our greatest weapon against the world outside our doors."

Beautifully said Terri. So very true. Thanks so much for the reminder of the comfort of home routines. While we are in a transition of sorts, I firmly believe only good will come of it in the end. I trust in the Good Lord and His plans for us as per Jeremiah 29:11-13

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Lana, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Heartbreaking statistics. Praying daily (and more) for this to change for the best.

Much love,
Tracey
Xox

Anonymous said...

Lana, thank you for expressing the thoughts so many of us share. I see ads for helping animals but where are the ones to help the babies??

Teri , could you please tells how you do the chicken with artichoke and sun dried tomatoes. I have the Aldi tomatoes in oil and artichokes will be ready soon. Sounds good! When I read "crusty bread" it made me hungry!

Everyone has noted that even our energetic President is looking and sounding weary about now. So many people have been working around the clock to help us and the country. Our prayers are sure needed for everyone and every thing going on. Now he is mentioning a machine that can recondition used masks. Who would have ever imagined. I always wondered if we could ever gear up and change manufacturing if America ever needed it again and it is interesting to see so many companies doing just that. And all the new technology.

From the looks at the seed displays this year and the plants out for sale a lot of people are trying to get a jump on gardening. Some have said plants are out in their stores but I see plenty in most places here so far. I went ahead and got fall seed also while they had it. Also an extra soaker hose. Sarah

terricheney said...

Sarah, the link is on the page. Just click on Chicken with artichokes and sun dried tomatoes and it should open in a new page.
I was mindful of the need to 'squat' a bit more when I was painting this afternoon. Oy is all I can say to that.

Lana, Not hard to hear but sad to say the least!

And I do agree it's a darned shame that animals or even trees get a higher billing than a baby. I read a powerful statement long ago that we might have had a cure for cancer by now had there not been so many abortions performed...the reasoning behind the statement was that with each life lost, their contribution to the world had also been lost. There's something worth thinking about!

Karen in WI said...

Terri, I was just thinking yesterday as I did outside chores for the first time how much squatting is involved and my body is NOT used to that! Oy is right! A bit sore this morning so I shall try to find my gardening knee pad and try to use that when i can, although the squats are very good for you in the end. Just have to go slow! I am waiting to see pics of your finished potting thing!