Worth Sharing This Week: March




Our first week of March was supposed to be sunny...If February is fickle with weather, March is just as much so.  In all the years of my life, we've had snow more often in March than any other month.  We've also had March days that topped 90F.  There is really no telling what may come from day to day.  What has come thus far are inches of rain.






Years ago, when we were raising our children and money was tight, I often used to dig around on the internet and find various 'holidays' that we could celebrate and enjoy.  It was a fun and inexpensive way to make each month seem special.  I was thinking about that this past month when two or three times someone mentioned a non-traditional 'holiday' (Pancake day I think) and I was sorry I'd missed it...So I thought I'd go back to incorporating fun little days into our routine.  Fun for us and possibly for my grandchildren, too.  Here's another opportunity to create fun memories.


Can you find something you'd like to celebrate here?

In honor of Lent, The Mustard Seed Conspiracy shared a playlist.  She also shared a post about her own Lent experience that was the most impactful one of her life.  Can you imagine doing as she did for school assignment Lent fast?

 Sarah Clarkson shared this poem she wrote on Ash Wednesday.  She is such a powerful spiritual writer and often makes me long to go deeper.  I so often feel my life is spent mostly wading in the shallows and only now and then remembering there is a deeper experience to be had if I'll only move out of my comfort zones, out of my own 'always' routines.

For all my experiencing different denominations over my adult years, I have not attended a church that did much of anything for Lent or even mentioned it.  I have fasted and feasted per the Jewish/Messianic church, and several denominations at the beginning of the year lead a fasting time that I've taken part in.   But Lent nor Advent have been things I've been exposed to.   I think I would like to remedy this by studying the purpose of Lent and Advent and incorporate both into my life.





Any surprise that the birth flower of March is the daffodil?  I confess they are one of my favorite flowers.   There is something endlessly cheering in the dragging days of last winter when a brilliant yellow daffodil is spotted nodding it's head in the rough winds or lifting it's cheerful cup to the sun.
Traditionally the daffodil is a symbol of new beginnings.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I didn't grow up with the traditions of Advent or Lent, either. As a young adult I began attending a Presbyterian church and discovered both of these liturgical seasons. I find them both extremely meaningful to me.