Advent Day 24: The Shepherds' Journey





At one time in Judah's long history, to be a shepherd was to have a noble profession, but by the time of the 1st century A.D. this was no longer so.  It was likely an attitude learned during the Israelites stay in Egypt.  Joseph tells his brothers and father that he will tell the Egyptians that they were shepherds for shepherds were an abomination to the them and so they would be left alone.

Shepherds wore rough clothing, and often lived out in the elements with the animals they pastured so their appearance must have been rather fierce.  They often were uneducated  and spent most of their time in the fields away from society as a whole.   Their task was simple enough, to care for the flocks that were in their care.
 

But their task was not quite as easy as you might think.   As the year progressed in seasons they  moved further and further from towns and deeper into the country side and hills  in search of suitable food and water where the flock could be fed.  The Shepherd's tasks included a daily inspection of every animal in his care.  He checked for various diseases and pests that might affect the health of the herd.  Shepherds became skilled at recognizing the behavior of the goats and sheep in their care.  Sheep were especially difficult to care for.  A shepherd had to immediately address any pests of ailments to protect the health of the animals.  He might in summer, have to anoint the sheep's heads with oil in order to prevent a particularly bothersome disease carrying fly from plaguing them and causing possible blindness.  

Another disease, called 'scab', could be passed from one animal to another as they are affectionate and love to rub heads with other sheep in the flock.   Again the shepherd had to examine the sheep carefully for this disease and immediately apply an anointing of oil, this time mixed with Sulphur and spices.  It was difficult as the sheep had to have their heads completely dipped into the mixture.  

Mating season, when the males would fight, was another time when heads were anointed with grease of some sort or oil.  This prevented the rams when butting their heads in battles of dominancy from doing any real damage and caused their head butts to glance off their opponent in a way that looked ridiculous and apparently made the sheep feel ridiculous, as well, because after one or two attempts they often gave up the fight.

In the autumn months in the hills,  storms often arise and hail, sleet or even snow fell  upon the animals and their Shepherds.  The Shepherds had to watch carefully over the lambs to insure they did not succumb to cold and were rubbed dry, kept warm and were stimulated with a mixture of alcohol and water to help keep them alert.

Shepherds would also have made a careful inspection of the land they were going to feed on.  Certain plants would negatively affect the health of the herd and sheep especially preferred still water rather than moving water.   The Shepherds generally built brush type shelters and would sleep with his flock.  Occasionally he might lead the sheep into a cave and sleep with them there.   In both cases, whether it was a pen or a cave, the Shepherds lay down in the gate or opening with the sheep safely behind so they  could fight off any predators that might come after them.  He protected them from hyenas and wild animals (David mentions fighting lion and bear when he is going to fight Goliath).  

The Shepherds voice was known to his flock.  Often he carried a flute with him and the sheep knew Him by the music he made.   He used his staff to turn them into a safer path and rescue them from danger.  They used a sling and rod to fight off predators.  The Shepherds knew their flocks intimately and the flock knew and felt safe in their presence.  The Shepherds were with them day and night, in all seasons, through sunshine and storm, always diligently caring for them.

One wonders why they were considered less than other members of society...It seems to me they were rather noble men.   And it explains why Jesus so often urged the priests to 'shepherd' their flocks in a more tender and caring way...

It is Luke who tells us of the shepherds and their journey to see the newborn King.
Luke 2:8 In the same region, shepherds were staying out in the fields and keeping watch at night over their flock.  9 Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.   But the angel said said to them, "Don't be afraid, for look, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all people..."

I've imagined this scene often to myself.   Growing up in the country where there are no street lights, I know how deep the darkness can be at night.  On clear nights with moon and stars it can be difficult to see.  If the moon is full it's a little easier to see close about one but on nights when the clouds are heavy, it can be oppressively dark.

On the best of nights a tree or bush can seem menacing.  A shadow can appear to be moving.  Even if one is accustomed to these things, you must be doubly watchful at night because predators can move slowly and silently toward a targeted prey.

Imagine then, having the night flooded with light!  Many pictures show the shepherds with raised hands shielding their eyes from the brightness.   And in their place, I can well imagine one might be terrified.  Even in their villages or towns it's unlikely they saw much light at night.  And here the scripture tells us that the light shone all around them.

Following his announcement of the coming baby, the skies were then filled with a HOST of angels.  And they sang heavenly music!

After the angels had gone away, the Shepherds said to one another, "Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing...that the Lord has made known to us."

Again, we experience that wonderful sense of urgency that Luke is so adept at sharing.   "Let us go NOW..."    No mention is made of anyone taking time to gather the flocks of sheep nor any drawing of lots to determine who should go and who should stay.    As diligent as they were in their duties, the urgency to go NOW made those things of little consequence.  

Sometimes it's not about what must be done to get prepared for a journey.  Sometimes the most important thing is to simply go NOW.  With urgency.  With expectations high.  Even in the dark that has surrounded you once more.

Many years ago before I was saved, I lay ill and depressed and cold in a darkened house.  I cried out to God again and again in my despair.  I'd been fighting pneumonia and bronchitis for months.  I was so ill I couldn't do anything but lie abed.  That night  I experienced something unlike anything I've ever experienced.    I heard a sound like a rushing wind and when I opened my eyes, I was blinded by light.  It was as though someone had turned a flood light full into my face.  I could see nothing but the light.  It consumed the darkness.   I was disoriented and frightened.  And then I felt a flood of peace wash over me.  Then the same sound of rushing wind and the room was dark once more.

There is a logical part of the brain that is rationalizing what might be happening.   Had the wind come up and was blowing in yet another cold front? Was there a car in the driveway shining headlights into my bedroom window?

But after the experience, I found I was facing a corner of the room where no light could reach.  It was an interior wall, so there was no window nor any mirror.   And the night outside my windows was silent enough I could hear the neighbor's dog growl softly at a passing cat.  

Was it an angel?   I couldn't say.   It has seemed to me all these years that it might have been.   But I can tell you what I saw, what I heard and what I felt.  It shook me to the core of me but it also gave me hope.   What came in the months following that encounter were long, difficult and frightening times.  Each time I began to lose heart, I recalled that I'd been comforted in my despair.   It gave me courage to go on through my own dark journey.

And as difficult as the past five years have been, as disheartening, I must recall that my life has been blessed.  My Shepherd has been constantly near.  My Shepherd knew where I was in my journey and He was right there beside me, carefully keeping watch over me and treating me for disease and attending to my care.

Whatever our dark journey we must  travel through, God is there.  

Song:  The Shepherd Amanda Cook, Brave New World

1 comment:

Kay said...

What a blessing you received!! I believe you. You were visited. I have heard God's voice in my head many times, but the first time I was driving home from work early in the morning. There was no doubt in my mind it was God who spoke to me. That feeling of peace and comfort, of love. Thank you Lord for coming near to us and for loving, comforting us. In Jesus' name, Amen.