The Week Ahead: Counting Down




I meant to get this all typed up early Friday afternoon.  Here I am on Sunday with no clear idea of what it is exactly I mean to do in the week ahead.   But let me think as I type.  Perhaps it will occur to me what must be done.


Work: 

 

We have a run-off election that we must vote in.  Early voting opens this week and we plan to get this done.   

While out we're running a variety of errands which include getting the last of Christmas shopping done.  Technically I'm not meant to be shopping, but I like to give my older children something extra and it makes me happy.  I figure if I'm putting my allowance towards it, then no one need worry about any budget overage.  

I will also run by the grocery to get a few items I didn't go buy to pick up last week, things we typically cannot buy at Aldi.  Happy to say, though, that the list of non-Aldi items is decreasing.

I have a few more Christmas cards to get out but must buy stamps.

Our family day is coming up this weekend.  I'll do some minor prep work towards that meal.

Bake Christmas cookies.

Keep Isaac one morning.

Order the chicken for the weekend meal.

Plan suppers, breakfasts and lunch for the weekend visitors who will be staying with us.

Finish planning my Christmas day dinner.

Whatever housework pops it's head up will be done, too.  I confess more and more of late I'm more inclined to do a deep clean when family goes home than to do it before they arrive.  However, some jobs have a tendency to suddenly glare at you hard as you go through a room and so I'll try to attend to any of those sorts of things.

Meals:

Swiss Chicken, Green Beans, Cranberry Sauce

Mexican Lasagna, Green Salad

Red Beans and Rice, Coleslaw, Corn Muffins

Leftovers or Meal Out

Cauliflower Cheese, Salad

Chicken Tikka Masala, Rice, Pickled Beets

I'm out of ideas...I'll leave this space open for whatever strikes my fancy.

Leisure:

Hot Chocolate and Tree Lights.   The days are moving quickly now and it's enjoy the tree time before it's gone.

Read any one of several Christmas stories or books.

Take a nap if I sleep poorly or get overtired.

When Chanukah is over, set up my nativity in place of the Channukiah.

Do some hand sewing.  I've a years long project I work on in sporadic spurts.  It's very soothing.

Shell pecans on the porch.




5 comments:

willa said...

Christmas is fast approaching. I need to finish up some projects too. May I ask what you are hand sewing? I do hand quilting and embroidery work .

Rhonda said...

Jeff has been shelling pecans. He picked up 2 1/2 five gallon buckets full out at the farm where Gavin and Braeden live.
Thankfully I have no shopping for gifts at all left to do.

Hope you have a great week and yes, please do go vote in that run off,

Shirley in Washington said...

Shelling pecans on the porch sounds like a particularly Southern thing to do! I love your references to Southern living and some of your unique phrases! Blessings, Shirley

Grammy D said...

Because there is so much covid I only went shopping once. Going to fill in with money. Still have to do cards. I baked fruit cakes today, the first time on quite a few years.They are a bit hard on the budget. I love to use pecans but they are so expensive, as is the fruit. No kids except my daughter, her hubby and son for Christmas this year. Now my son in laws dad has covid. He has been in a nursing home about 5 years, so don't expect a good report. I guess it will be different for most of us. Most people I talk to aren't even seeing family. Gramma D

Anonymous said...

We will not be doing much for Christmas this year. 2 of my kids are not coming because of covid and probably not my grandson. A lot of people won't even be seeing their kids because of so much covid. I just realized today I had better get busy doing Christmas cards and 1 more gift to mail. I made fruit cake today and want to send my son some. Enjoy your holiday gathering. Gramma D