The Week Ahead: Christmas Prep





After spending this past week submerged in my Advent  writing project, I am more than ready to jump into house routines once more.  I'm afraid not much got done but the basics this past week but thank goodness that's one thing my housekeeping does allow at times.  With just the two of us in the house and both of us fairly neat people, the house can hold up fairly well to just basic housekeeping for a short period of time.

But I could tell as the week went on that my homemaker's mind was ready to start a proper housekeeping week.  I saw mending that should be done and jobs I've put off doing because they aren't priority and I've noticed areas that needed attention.   Some got it right away and others are waiting still. 

 

Then there are projects that I planned to start after Christmas...

And I've yet to make a single one of the lists I keep telling myself I must make!

Work:

This week, I want to concentrate on the Christmas decorating.  Starting next weekend there will be various holiday things to attend to and so it's now or never.   Then mantle has got it's first run of decorating.  I'm not happy with it, but I pieced it together last week when I needed a writing break.  John loves it.  For me it's a bit cold looking.  

The tree only has lights.  

I have a special idea of how I'd like to use my dining area buffet this year and I need to get it set up before Chanukah comes along this week.   Thank goodness I'm happy with the way the dining table centerpiece looks.  I won't be doing any more decorating than those few areas I've mentioned I don't think, except to add a minor touch here and there on the bookshelves.

Chanukah...I've done nothing towards planning that and it begins Thursday night.  I try to have some little special purchased treat or gift for us.  This year I bought fancier than I'd typically buy candles because they were pretty and not much more than the ones we typically use.  I have special coffee mugs that change from black to a white with a lit Chanukkiah on them when you put hot beverages in them.  I usually buy gelt to enjoy for a night or two and we play the Dreidel game one night...but obviously I need a few more little things to help us celebrate, even if they are free rather than purchased.

It's grocery week.  I have to plan for Chanukah, purchase for our family day, plan for Christmas Day and New Year's Day and two holiday breakfasts in addition to our usual monthly foods and pantry basics.  Of course, these holiday meals replace meals we'd have but we want little extras for our special holidays don't we, so they will cost extra?  

There's a birthday to attend to and a few bills we'll want to go ahead and pay. And I haven't done Christmas cards yet, either.    So a trip to the post office is in order.

I do only minor small gifts for our grown kids since they get money as their main gift but I have to do that minor gift shopping.  I have the main gift for two of the grown men.  Nothing for either girl nor for Katie's partner.

And I need to buy for the two babies.

And John.

Oh dear.... Christmas shopping...

Plan ahead for the New Year.  I really do need to make any number of lists.  I've sort of flying by the seat of my pants on purchasing things without a master list but most are things I've noted we were out of or very nearly out of.  When I buy I'm trying to buy for six months ahead if it's manageable.  But I need a master list for my wardrobe, for the house, and pantry.

And I want to plan goals for my personal growth and skills.

I have to make solid plans for Christmas with Mama.  I'm assuming we'll end going to her house on Christmas Eve to spend it with Mama.  Not a big deal to cook for but does require planning ahead and choosing what will pack well.   It's got to be special enough to make Mama feel she's had a proper Christmas, too.  

Zone 2 is the living/dining room and they need dusting something terrible.  There's also glitter allover the carpet.  No matter how hard I try to avoid it each year there is glitter drifting off something.

Katie's asked me to go with her on a day when she must attend to necessary errands.

And at some point I really ought to go spend a few hours with Mama.

Kitchen: 

 

I'm slowly working on taming my freezer space but I'll definitely have to shift things about to make room for milk.  I learned this past month that if we haven't room in the freezer for milk it's not going to last until end of the month, no matter how far out the 'sell by' date is on the jugs.  If I must, I'll buy half gallons which are easier to fit into the freezer space I have available.

Attempt to make vinegar....I'm going to be watching tutorials this weekend and we'll see how that goes.   This is a learning curve for me.

Get fruitcakes made.  I'm running even further behind since I discovered I was running low on eggs and  I'd no walnuts.  I could use pecans but find they tend to get soggy.

Spaghetti Bolognese, Salad, Bread and Butter

Gramma's Fried Chicken, Green Beans and Mac n Cheese

Chicken Enchiladas Verde, Pineapple Salad, Mexican Rice

Chicken and Rice Soup, Orange Slices

Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Coleslaw

Tamale Pie, Green Salad

Lasagna with Vegetables, Salad, Garlic Toast

Leisure:




Brown paper packages tied up with string...If I get a chance to do any shopping, I'll try to wrap packages or at least buy gift bags to pack for everyone.

I have a stack of Christmas reading by my Chair: Jan Karon, Dickens and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

I indulged in a new vintage magazine this month.  I'll try to take time to read it.

Walk a little every day.  I need the fresh cool air to clear my dry heated  air brain.

3 comments:

Shirley in Washington said...

Good morning, Terri, from Washington State! Thank you for your study and writings on Advent. Just what I needed to read this year. Have you read about the Christmas Star appearing on December 21st? When Jupiter and Saturn are visually so close together they appear as one star. The last time this happened was in the 1600's. With clear skies it should be visible anywhere in the world. Amazing that this celestial event is happening in 2020. Blessing, Shirley

Deanna said...

I don't know if space is any better in your fridge but Aldi carries ultra-pasteurized organic milk at a reasonable price that is good for a very long time before it is opened. The ones I bought this past week are dated early February. Perhaps you could stash one in the fridge for the end of the month.

We put our tree up this weekend, along with the tree skirts and the topper. No decorations yet but at least it's a start!

terricheney said...

Shirley, I will mark the date on my calendar! It does seem however, if an eclipse or anything special is happening, we have heavy cloud cover for the event. Almost without fail!
I'm glad you're enjoying the Advent series. I hope you listen to the songs as well.

Dee, Thank you! I'll make a note on my grocery list to look for that. It might well be just what we need. The freezer situation is very slightly better but not enough room for an added gallon of milk! I'll be sure to look for this,