Menu Monday: Trial Runs



It's that time of year where it's meant to be warm...and then the weather will surprise us with a damp overcast day that is downright chilly, and we will want anything except a light summer meal.  I was so chilly on Friday I wore a jacket.  I couldn't wait for a hot cup of coffee once we'd returned home.  

Well, I'm planning warm weather foods from here on regardless of whether the weather is cool or hot.  We're in mid-May for goodness' sake!  I'm ready to change over to a summer menu.  


I have an added incentive this week for doing things.  I want to see if I can trial run cooking with my stove top.  Just one week will be long enough to test out my plans and help me refine them further.  So this week, it's all slow cooker, toaster oven, microwave and toaster.   But first, I'm going to start the week with a whole roasted chicken.  John saw them in the case on Friday.  It's a brand he's long been enamored with, but my budget wasn't up to the cost.  Friday, they marked them down to an acceptable price, if a little higher than what I typically pay.

On to planning:

Breakfasts: I thought I'd make ahead several things so this week every item on the menu is also an attempt to get ahead.

Pancakes, Waffles, Biscuits, Muffins and French Toast.   I'm not going to jump into eating cereal just yet.  I know we can manage that (provided I buy myself some bowls.  All my bowls to my set of dishes has broken).   But if I make each of these I can either reheat in the microwave or the toaster or toaster oven without any issues.

I will also cook some bacon and sausage and freeze.  I can microwave or thaw in the toaster oven.

Lunches: Pimento cheese, peanut butter and jelly, chicken salad sandwiches.  I'll stretch this out over the week.  

Suppers:  

2 nights of leftovers.  Saturday night we all ate leftovers.  And Sunday we'll be going to Senior supper while Katie and Caleb will be home.  There are more leftovers in the fridge they can choose from what is still in the fridge, make a salad, etc.

Whole Chicken, Lemon Butter potatoes, Garden peas. I'll cook this in the slow cooker...but I'll probably run it into the oven at the end just to crisp up the skin a little.  

Chicken Pot Pie (make one for now and one to freeze) Cranberry sauce, Beans and Potatoes, Spinach Salad.  When we dropped Caleb off with his Ninny the other day, we told him we were going to go to the grocery store.  "Is there anything you want?" John asked.  "Strawberries."  "Anything else?" "Spinach!"   I didn't get strawberries because I had some at home, but I did remember the spinach.  To the best of our knowledge he's never eaten spinach before.  We'll see how he likes it.

Chicken Salad with Lettuce, Croissants, Chips, Mandarins.

It has occurred to me that it would be a good idea to brown a few pounds of ground beef and freeze it then I can easily make most of our favorite dishes.

Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole (one for now, one to freeze), Salad with Beets and onions.

Chicken and Rice SoupI know it's warming up. I just think a soup is a great slow cooker meal and an easy one as well.  I can cook my frame overnight and make soup from the broth I've gained the next day.

3 comments:

Slughorn said...

That's really smart to do a trial run of cooking without a cooktop or oven for a week.

Rhonda said...

Has Caleb been watching Popeye?

I’m happy for you, getting the kitchen redone like you want is so nice.

Grammy D said...

On little blessed nest You Tube they have a small mobile home. If she wants to use a stove top to boil water, ect she has an electric one burner gadget that cooks just like a stove top. The kitchen was very small and she opted to go without a stove. Just a suggestion. Almost like for camping.