Menu Monday: Gathered Fragments and Fresh Starts

 


Remember 'Gathered Fragments'?  

This week I have several leftovers in the fridge and a need to use them up.  Of course, I do plan to let everyone choose their own leftovers for tonight's supper, but we won't eat up all the food in the fridge because none of us are that hungry.  I thought I'd share my plans to use up the leftovers we likely won't eat tonight.  


And just in case, I'll check back later before this publishes and update if we use any of these items and plan another.

Gathered fragments:  as of Sunday mid-afternoon

pork chops, 1.5

2 slices of pizza

smoked sausage with au gratin potatoes

1 serving of red beans and rice

a small serving of mac and cheese

3 pcs. fried chicken

mine and John's leftovers from Saturday lunch out

about a cup of celery that needs to be sliced and used

2 stems from heads of broccoli 

grated carrot

6 green cabbage leaves I need to look at these more closely and if they are still usable, I'll figure out what to do with them.  Otherwise, at least I can compost them.

grapes 

2-3 slices of beef bologna

sliced tomato

Meals:

I don't know just which things we might eat for Sunday night supper.  I imagine the leftovers we'll save for Monday's lunch provided we get to eat after Caleb has had his lunch.

I can pull meat off the bone and skin the chicken to use in a meal.  I'll be using the grated carrot, the celery and broccoli stems in another meal.  And I might possibly turn the pork chops into a third meal if no one wants it for Sunday night supper.

I sorted and then froze the remaining grapes.  I also have 2 bell peppers, one red and the orange that I need to slice and put in the freezer before I lose them.

So tentatively planning as of Sunday at 3pm:

Leftovers or sandwiches or salads etc.  Each to his own choosing.

Mock Chop Suey, Steamed Broccoli, Orange Slices. I saw this recipe this weekend on "A Country Life" blog with Jennifer Brockman.  She said the recipe was at least 60 years old and I'm pretty sure I remember eating it as well when I was growing up.  I have all the ingredients on hand.  I love recipes that use items that are pantry basics in my kitchen.  I said I'd use celery, grated carrots and some grated broccoli stem in this casserole dish.  I'll also stretch the chop suey with some of the baby bella mushrooms I bought this weekend.  It's quite possible I may end up with more than enough to feed us twice, and if that appears to be the case I'll freeze half for a future entree, along with the chow mein noodles required to top it.

Steak, Corn on the Cob, Salad w/ Blue Cheese dressing.  This will be our big splurge meal this week.  I did buy the steak on sale.

Carnitas, Mexican Slaw, Mexican Rice, Mexican Hot Chocolate Pudding.  This is dependent upon no one wanting the pork chops that are leftover. If they choose to eat those then I'll make something Mexican-ish for Cinco de Mayo.  I'll need to make tortillas or go buy some.  Depends on the time frames I have to work in.

Chicken Pot Pie, Some type of fruit salad, Garden peas

Tuna Pasta Salad, Saltines, Peach Cobbler  On second thought, I'll dice some of those bell peppers to put into Tuna Pasta Salad.  I kept it on my menu for three weeks running in April and never did make it the first time.  Both John and Katie love this, so I'll try to make it towards the end of the week this week, when it's meant to be slightly warmer.

Either Hot Dogs of Hamburgers with homemade rolls, chips and Baked Beans.  I try to keep Friday evening's meal super easy on the cook, who has put out a total of about 17 meals from scratch at this point.  

Lunches:  Leftovers or Sandwiches.  I'll try to mix up some chicken salad for sandwiches.  I can't forget there's always PB&J which will make at least two people in the house quite happy, As will toasty cheese sandwiches.

Breakfasts:  Mixed Berry Muffins with Boiled eggs 

Cereal with Fruit, Peanut Butter Toast

Cubed Steak and Biscuits

Scrambled Eggs, Grits, Toast

Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole, Toasted Biscuits or muffins

2 comments:

Karla said...

Thanks for the reminder about Jennifer at A Country Life! I've gotten behind on her vlog and missed her.

We had Cinco de Mayo in Mexico last week so of course we had authentic Mexican food!

Your menu sounds lovely. I had nearly forgotten about Gathered Fragments and glad you brought it back because it always helped me with inspiration.

Is your tuna pasta salad recipe on the recipe section or do you just know it by heart?

terricheney said...

Karla the tuna pasta salad is on the recipe blog.