Menu Monday: Warm Weather Cooking At Last


I'll be honest.  Meal planning this week was harder than it ought to have been.  I had only one special request.  Saturday night supper was not cheap, especially on top of our Saturday lunch out.  But I couldn't think of a thing to make for supper, so I urged John to pick up Subs on the way home.  At least they were good.  But better planning on my part would have been the thing to do.  Taking note this week...


Saturday night supper was Sub Sandwiches and Chips.

Biscuits with Gravy, Cubed Steak or Sausage, Hashbrowns.  Special Request meal.

Steak and Blue Cheese Salad Bowls, Toasted Bread Strips

Katie's Cheesy Cracker Chicken, Steamed Broccoli, Mashed Potatoes

Meatloaf, Half Roasted Potatoes, Green Beans, Sliced Tomatoes.  I'll try to make up an extra meatloaf and freeze it.  It's always nice to have on hand. Half Roasted Potatoes:  The potato recipe is another of "A Country Life" Jennifer Brockman's recipes.  Russet potatoes are cut in half.  A sheet pan is spread with oil, salt and pepper then potatoes are placed cut side down.  Roast for 45 minutes or so until the potatoes are crusty and brown.  

Tuna Pasta Salad, Saltines, Tomato Basil Soup.  Really mean to make this dish this week.  It's finally going to be warm enough.

Picadillo, Rice, Green SaladI made this years ago and the family liked it then.  Will they like it this week?  We'll find out!

7 comments:

Lana said...

What is the oven temp for roasting those potatoes? They sound like a good change up from the norm.

Karla said...

I'll have to try those potatoes! Sounds delicious.

terricheney said...

Lana, it's at the 20:09 mark on this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBaynY9TPdk
She says use a dark pan, lots of oil, some seasoned salt, pepper, place on the oil, then she halved potatoes, and smears them around in the oil. She said cook for 45-60 minutes. She never says what the oven temperature is nor did she list the recipe below the video. I'd think with a dark pan, 400F?

Tammy said...

Oooohh. I'm going to make these potatoes for supper Thursday evening when we're having Wyatt over to celebrate his college graduation. I think I will oil the whole potato, then cut in half and lay on the pan. We like the peel to be crispy also. (Btw, she does say to heat the oven to 400°.)
Can you elaborate on the steak and blue cheese salad bowls? Just lettuce salad with sliced steak and blue cheese dressing? Greg would love that.
Our temps are shifting to high 70s/low-mid 80s, which is pretty warm for early May. I'm not complaining, in fact, am happy for those 70s. We like salads for supper on the warmer days.

terricheney said...

Thank you Tammy. I went back and listened four times trying to hear a temperature and I kept getting interrupted. Obviously at the moment she mentioned the temperature!

The salad is a take on a steak from Longhorns, 7 Pepper Steak. They do a peppery seasoned steak with tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles, lettuce, cucumbers, croutons and your choice of dressing. It's really very good.

Tammy said...

Thanks for elaborating on the salad! I think I'll make that for Greg's birthday supper tomorrow night. He's having a heart cath the next morning, so we want something kind of light that evening before.
I thought I heard her say 400 for the potatoes, so listened again made sure. She mentions it in passing, so easily missed.

terricheney said...

Tammy, It sounds like the right temperature. I would have hazarded a guess of 400-425F. I did go back and listen but interruptions abounded and I missed it every single time I played it back. But experience being strong, I had thought that would be just about right.

Shall put Greg in my prayers for his hospital visit this morning.