Tried and True: Recipes To Share


There was a nice amount of participation last month in the Tried and True post.  I hope that you will participate this month and if you didn't join us last month, please do this time around.

For my part,  I made two old favorites I haven't made in  quite a long while and I tried a couple of new recipes as well.  I'll share all four of them next week. 

The same request as last time.  Enter your recipe or link in the comments.  I'll move to a second post and delete the comment.

In the meantime, I'll share an old favorite that I  made this week. It is not entirely my recipe.  It's a recipe I got from Rhonda which I altered just slightly, and I mean only slightly.  I've made it as she wrote it and liked it very well, too.  I wanted to link to her original recipe, but can't find it...so.  Here's my version, made this morning.

Rhonda's Red Enchilada Sauce: My Slightly Altered Version

1 small onion very finely diced (2 1/2 ounces per Rhonda's recipe, I used about 1/4 cup)
3 cloves garlic, finely minced (I used 3 teaspoons of minced garlic)
3 teaspoons cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder (I used 2 tbsp. and 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce chopped very very finely)
1 16 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup water (I think this was my addition to the recipe long ago) {Rhonda, help me out in comments with your original or a link to it, please}

In oil (I used fat skimmed from top of chicken broth) cook onion and garlic until just softened.  Add spices and cook about 30 seconds or so until fragrant.  Add tomato sauce, chicken broth and water.  Heat over medium heat until it comes to a soft simmering boil and let cook about two minutes.  I bottle this for freezing and it does very well. It's a lovely rich sauce and nothing at all like the anemic stuff you buy in a can.  I taste tested the sauce and the chipotle pepper added a nice warmth that sort of hits the back of the throat but it's not hot nor spicy, just a really lovely warmth.

Okay, everyone.  Please join in and share your recipes or links!

No comments: