Christmas Time Is Near: Advent Day 11

1 John 4:18  There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear.

My mind went so many places with this particular verse today.  First there is the very advent reading itself which describes what a fearful time the original first Christmas was.  Mary's fear of giving birth for the first time.  Joseph's fear that he was being a foolish man even though he spoke with an angel.  Herod's fear of the King to come.  The wise men's fear as they traveled across deserts and mountains and followed a star that led to who knew where.  Shepherds who quaked at the sight of angels.

And then there are all our human fears.  Diane asked about my mixed bowl of faith with Jewish and Christian elements tossed in together.  Her question reminded me of how I literally shook with fear when we began to explore this added depth of our Christian faith.  When we left our church to begin attending a synagogue, I had no idea what to expect.  I was uncertain and scared as I was the day I got down on my knees to give my life to Christ.  


Even tonight I sit here with an edge of fear threatening to crowd out my calm, all because of a circumstance sprung upon me and because it is full of the unknown and the unexpected.  But fear really has no place in love does it?  And of this I am assured.  I am loved.  He is in control of every situation and every circumstance and every breath.  All will be well.  In the meantime, I'm amusing myself with the photo caption for this post.  Mockingbirds are no respecter of size.  They are fiercely territorial and will happily go after the most fearsome predators.  Let my faith be of the Mockingbird kind!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great picture! Great metaphor.

I agree. Fear is the opposite of faith!

Love,
Tracey
XoX