In My Home This Week: Ending and Beginning

In my home this week:

...I  accomplished little it feels and yet it was a full week.  Busy enough to get things done, but not nearly enough time to get all I'd like to get done.  I've just finished scrubbing the oven door.  It took forever...and I've decided that some big tasks should just be broken down into do-able segments.  I might not get to the oven again until Monday but I'll hit another lick at it as soon as I can.

Christmas stuff is out on the back porch, ready to go into the shed, and just as family comes in for the weekend.  I hadn't planned on guests this weekend but it all seems to be just part and parcel of the current hospitality trend.  I need to plan meals for the weekend.  I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment but in the end, all that is necessary shall be done and what isn't shall wait, right?



My son's and daughter-in-law's life is very hectic at the moment, too.  House showings in their town, cleaning up his late father's place in the next town over, adds up to not a whole lot of time with Daddy for the family right now so they are coming here while he works at a monumental task.  He hopes to finish this weekend but I somehow doubt it can happen.  I wish him Godspeed with it though.  He starts a new job on Monday, yes, Monday and he has a lot on his plate just now.  Bess' Jamberry services has taken off like a rocket in December.  She is legitimately running  a part time business and juggling two boys and trying to keep the house running and clean enough to show.   The house is, thankfully, being shown frequently.  There's a lot of interest and I'm hoping it means that there will be a number of bids put in on it.  It's a lovely home, roomy and full of light, but not overwhelmingly big.

And of course, I know that next week I am launching my Jamberry business, starting a new part time job as housekeeper, finding it necessary to help Mama with things  so I can't skip those days I'd spend with her to carve out my own time to work.  I won't say it's overwhelming.  I won't.  It's just different and I need to see how I fit things in is all.  And I need to pray a lot about God showing me what to prioritize and how to juggle the balls that were tossed my way.  I feel confident going into 2018.  I feel confident that many things that needed to be put to rest have been in these last months of 2018 and I'm excited to see what all God has to fill up those spaces where we're finally released.

...I made meals:
Chicken Sausage with cabbage, carrots, potatoes and apples

Golden Mushroom Chicken Pasta, Salad,  Crusty Rolls

New York Strip Roast, Yorkshire Pudding, Corn on the Cob, Green Salad and desserts of choice
John wanted apple pie.  I wanted something 'more festive'.  Our compromise was to buy a single serve dessert of what we each wanted.  I chose Red Velvet Cake.

Sandwich Buffet with friends.  I carried chips, crackers,  and spinach dip.

Leftovers from our Christmas Eve meal with the addition of  green beans with mushrooms.

Out with Mama

Chicken pot pie, Waldorf Salad

...I worked:

John and I did laundry several times. I did dishes several more.  We allowed all to air dry.

I pieced together about 5 or 6 outfits after finding myself tossing clothes left and right as I tried to dress to leave the house on Christmas morning.  A well thought out, properly accessorized outfit is so much easier to put on and feel satisfaction with than trying to think as I hurry.

I stripped our bed and hung sheets and towels to dry after washing.

Sat down on Christmas night when I returned home and felt restless and worked up the preliminary budget projection for our household.  I worked with a zero balance budget, taking on Dave Ramsey's advice to tell all my money where to go.  I did not figure on overtime nor holiday pays as those tend to be transient things but I assure you when we have either one (as we shall for the next two pay periods), I will be telling those extra funds where to go as well.  As we get nearer and nearer retirement age, I want to be sure our money works harder for us than we do for it.

John had a locksmith job to do for our son in a nearby town.  I went along and sat in the car, carrying along my pen and clipboard.  I made out some lists for the New Year of chores I hope to attend to, and did some planning ahead for shopping this coming year.  Then I jotted down a few thoughts I want to keep in mind as I go through the year ahead.  It ended being a very productive three hours even if I did only sit in the car!  Proof that with determination to do you can work just about anywhere.

The house remained decorated until December 27th.  I hadn't planned to un-decorate then but it was rainy and dreary outdoors and I couldn't do the things I'd planned to do...So I took down all the decorations and stood looking at the empty places wondering what winter décor shall look like.  Time to spend some time roaming boards on Pinterest and digging about in the shed...


I went grocery shopping with Mama.  This is indeed work as I must follow her about the store and do all the reaching and lifting and carting of the groceries.  I have gotten so used to John being about to do all this for me that I'd truly forgotten what a chore it is!  I hauled it all into her house and unloaded into the places she directed me to.  I had seriously thought I'd go on and run a few errands but I was just tired after all that work, lol, and came home.

Put Christmas things into the shed.  Got the guest room ready for the next round of company.

Cleaned the oven door.  I have a gas stove and I've read the manual. It recommends a 'standard oven cleaner' but it's GAS and I wasn't keen on the spray on stuff when I used it in my electric stove.  So I'm doing things the hard way...I'm doing it by hand with a mild non-abrasive sponge and cleaner.  It took an hour to get the door down to a 'good enough' point.   The oven and the broiler will have to be done as well as the racks.  It shall get done a bit at a time.  And yes, I've tried ammonia.  Either I'm doing it all wrong or it's gone too far beyond the point of return.  Ugh.

I paid bills and totted up figures for our last pay period of 2017.

...I saved money:
Gave myself a mani and pedi.  This is always a huge savings and makes me feel quite happy, as looking at fresh polish and fresh nail wraps pleases me.  My friend shared on Christmas day that the local nail salon costs $5 a digit.   Wow.   That is $100 for a complete mani and pedi!   It makes my Jamberry wrap love seem very affordable at $7.50 for both a mani and pedi.

John complained that some apples I bought were bruised.  They are not badly bruised nor deeply but he can be rather picky.  I assured him I'd use those apples and made good by using four in our one pan dinner of chicken sausages.

Went to the grocery store on Sunday after church.  We went in with a list and we both stuck to it.  I bought enough bread for the two week pay period (and maybe just slightly longer).  We picked up one sale item, a vinaigrette dressing we especially like that was buy one get one free.  I bought four.
Cut away the portion of a cabbage that had gone bad, and used the good portion.

I'd meant to make yogurt and kept putting it off.  A half gallon of milk was getting a little old for keeping around so I used it for baking and in cooking grits and to make bowls of cereal for breakfast another morning.  Grits cooked with milk are a lovely snowy white cereal and far more nutritious than grits cooked in water, which is our more normal way of doing them.  I had a little left and John mentioned wishing he had some pudding.  Consider it done, love, and thank you for a hint to use the last of that milk before the expiration date.

Used the last of the streusel topping I'd made for the Thanksgiving sweet potatoes.  I'd kept in the freezer since Thanksgiving morning but it made a nice streusel top for our muffins.

Planned breakfast towards the weekend to use up the leftover muffins.

As I walked through the grocery with Mama I kept my own pantry needs in mind and took note of prices. I picked up a few things, nearly all meant for the pantry.  My exceptions were loose Brussels Sprouts which I buy only when I can pick up just a dozen or so for the two of us, and a small rutabaga for me.  I did note that carried the canned rutabaga cubes which is more pantry friendly so I shall try to remember to buy several of those next time I'm in the store.

We get paid on Friday of this week rather than on Monday due to the holiday.  I was surprised to note when I opened my wallet today that I have saved ALL of my last allowance.  Yes, I will get more allowance but I'll likely set aside that to go towards a purchase I hope to make for the house in the next month.

An even nicer surprise when I worked up our bills.  I have three pay periods in January.  That means that I can set aside half of one of our routine bills to use towards our sub accounts.   And that means that I have now filled nearly all my sub accounts for 2018.  How's that for a grand finish to 2017?

Though I picked up a few sales items Thursday with Mama to restock the pantry, I noted to John on Wednesday that we have no real need to go shopping this next week.  I have bread in the freezer, plenty of produce and an extra bottle of soda under the counter.  With cookies in the freezer and unopened bags of chips from last pay period we're good on all counts!  I'll use the 'extra' grocery money to fill up the paper products inventory in our household.

Decided after all to keep the resin barrel as the designated Christmas tree stand.  Each year it's a challenge to find a means to cover the base of the tree and why on earth continue to look for something 'new' when I can have one all ready next year?


...I made time to be leisurely:

I did much of nothing at all on Shabat.  It was just the rest I truly needed.

I watched "A Holiday Affair", "Christmas In Connecticutt", "Meet Me in St. Louis".

Christmas night I watched a rerun of a Bing Crosby special with Robert Goulet and the movie "Love Actually".  Apparently 'tis viewing season for me.

After an especially poor night's rest, John suggested I go back to bad and sleep.  He looked about the house and said "There's nothing here that needs to be done!"  He was quite right.  As it was one of his work mornings I didn't need much urging to return to bed at 6am.  I slept until 9:15 and told him it did me a world of good indeed.  And yes, I do consider it leisurely to slip back to bed!  It's something I very seldom will do.

That's my week...What did you do to save over this holiday?

7 comments:

Debby in Kansas said...

It has been bitterly cold here in Kansas so I've been home much of the week. We did go out on Tues. to donate blood at the Red Cross and were thrilled to find out that they were giving away t-shirts and $10 Amazon gift cards for just that day! What luck! How can it be a good deed for such a great reward?! 2 t shirts and $20. :)

We take down Christmas next week, when the Magi arrive. Half of what is out right now will be boxed up and immediately donated to Goodwill. We have just accumulated too much and it's time for someone else to enjoy some of these treasures while they're still in mint condition.

If you have any snowmen and reindeer, you can always turn those into January décor. I did that many years ago. None say Merry Christmas or anything and are mostly blue & silver/gold in color. I also leave up my hand painted village and the little white lights. Those tiny lights do wonders for warming up a dreary winter room.

I'm getting up right now to see if I can find you a good oven cleaning solution that was given to me recently. I plan to try it soon, but it has received rave reviews....hold on....I might have to get back to you on that. I do, however, have an awesome shower cleaning recipe to pass on. I call it my Magic Shower Potion.
All natural & cheap!
1/2 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. blue Dawn dishwashing soap
4 TB. baking soda* in separate cup

Heat vinegar for 90 seconds. Cool slightly and stir in Dawn.
*Take mix and baking soda and stand by shower. Pour in baking soda and stir. It's going to foam like a volcano so make sure it's over the shower! Spread all over with rag and let sit two hours.
(the first time I made this, I had a volcano in my hallway. Now I have a super clean white spot there lol!!)
I use a long handled brush to scrub those bumpies on the shower floor, but this potion works great without the scrubbing. Rinse very very well with hot water and be amazed! In the meantime, I'll look in my online folder and see if I can find the oven solution.

Debby in Kansas said...

It was in my cleaning folder online! Here ya go! Good luck, if you try it. I'm all for anything that works while I'm doing something else!!

Oven Cleaner
You will need:
3 tbsp dishwashing liquid
1½ cups baking soda
2 tbsp table salt
¼ cup white vinegar

Step 1. Mix the dishwashing detergent, soda and salt in a mixing bowl, then slowly pour in the vinegar, stirring as it fizzes, to make a paste. The paste should be the consistency of icing and able to be spread easily with a pastry brush. If it is too thick, add a little water and stir well.

Step 2. Take the racks out of your oven and spread the paste over the roof, walls and floor. Put the racks back in and paint the paste over them. A paint brush that makes this easy and quick. Use all the mixture and make sure you've completely covered all the interior and racks. For best results let sit overnight, but a minimum of 6 hours.

Step 3. To clean wipe over with a damp cloth, rinsing well between wipes. When all the gunk has been wiped off, rinse a clean cloth in vinegar and wipe over to remove the last of the paste residue.

Happy New Year!

sparky136 said...

My sister and I watched Christmas in Connecticut on Christmas Day. We usually watch Miracle on 34th Street but decided to try something different this year.

Anonymous said...

I have some older apple to use up and will make applesauce without added sugar and freeze or can what we will not use soon.

In another post you mentioned wanting to replace toilets this year. Consider putting in taller versions. You will appreciate them as you get older. If you replace them with it now they will be there when you need them. We sure appreciate ours. Don't worry about them being too high. I am 5'3" and they are fine for me. They are not that taller but the difference is a difference. :)

I need to tackle the oven cleaning more too. I think the dawn recipe mentioned you already mentioned you use on your shower. I will try that on the oven. It is amazing how the oven gets dirty even though we use cookie sheets under casseroles and such

I am getting excited to start 2018. !! :-) Sarah

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

It sounds like you have a very busy new year coming up. It would be a great way to save money by not going to the store as often. Every time we go to the store there is always something we find and spend extra money on. I need more storage space for pantry items and paper goods, and to be way less persnickety about my bread and milk having to be super fresh. I don't have a freezer that milk would fit into, but frozen bread is not as tasty to me. Maybe I have never wrapped it correctly for freezing. Is there a special way it needs to be wrapped?

I got a chuckle out of Debby in Kansas comment and her description of her tub cleanser that made a volcano all of the way out into her hallway! I think my whole house could use some volcanic cleaning. Our tub bottom is bumpy textured and could benefit from some volcanic action. That bumpiness is great for making it not slick, but it is a bit more effort to clean.

It is so cold here. Today it was 25 and felt like a heatwave. Now there is freezing drizzle. I hate freezing drizzle, in past years it has caused us power outages. It's too cold to be without heat. I am thinking of checking about the possibility of getting some sort of non gasoline using generator in the future, but I think they may not be affordable for us.

Have a Happy New Year!

Susie D.

terricheney said...

Debby I use the shower cleaner, minus the baking soda, already and love it. I'm going to try the oven cleaner! Thank you for sharing that.

Susie I have mentioned two or three times to my son that they need to consider an alternate heat source. It is all standard electric in mobile homes but a gas log fireplace or a propane heater that doesn't require venting does come in mighty handy, as I know too well. I'd love a propane generator but that is way down on the list of wants at present.

Sarah, applesauce is a good idea too. These apples have a lot of flavor! Apple pie is another possibility.


Beckyathome said...

It will be crazy busy with family nearer, a new job, the Jamberry business and the housecleaning....whew! But, I think I get bored if I don't have something to do, and you are probably the same. The hard thing for me is finding a balance--not boring, but not so busy I can't get any rest!!! You'll do fine, I'm sure.

And, you can cry all the way to the bank, as my mom used to say:). You should be making a nice little chunk of change with 2 new endeavors! Congratulations. If it doesn't work, you can always scale back a little. As for everyone stopping by to visit...just proves that your house is the fun, "happening" place to be. What an honor! Hopefully, you will get through it without getting too tired.