Christmas Time is Near: Advent Day 23 and 24

John 14:27  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

If there is one message consistent throughout the Bible it is this: "Do not be afraid," which God repeatedly says to those who are righteous and living rightly.

But the second message, the one we miss all too often, is the message of peace.  It is a gift that has been given to us and rarely do we accept it.


I shared some time ago about how important receiving is to our lives and yet few of us manage to grasp it.  We think we are beholden to someone if they give us a gift.  We refuse a blessing because we can't reciprocate.  We guiltily watch others give and receive knowing we cannot do the same.

Yet the verse above says it all.  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you."  No where in that sentence does it say "So you owe me big time!" nor does it suggest we must give a gift or in anyway do anything.  Except receive.

Open your hands.  Open your heart.  Take it.

Day 24
Galatians 5:22-23  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Today's reading likened growing up in a family and inheriting or learning to show certain traits as a natural progression.  So, too, they liken our taking on the characteristics of Christ in our lives.  Later in the questions section we are asked to list the traits we received from our family.

One of the questions "How has living with your family fostered and grown that gift in your life?" truly left me in a place of introspection.  How do you ' take on peace' as a trait when it was never available in your home?

It's a lovely devotional today but for those who may have grown up in a more than usually dysfunctional atmosphere it can be a point of pain.   Frankly this is where Christianity sometimes fails a segment of their congregation.  It's hard not to feel cheated, or to  compare our circumstances unfavorably with those who didn't grow up in our own conditions.

But I'll just bet you, like I, had one person in your life to whom you looked up.  You knew them well enough to see character qualities you wanted in your own life and so you patterned yourself after them.  You didn't naturally acquire the admirable qualities you saw, so instead you 'copied' them until they became natural.

The fruits of the Spirit are much the same.  These are qualities that do not come naturally, but with practice we can gain them.  It's ironic that just yesterday someone mentioned that they felt my peace...and last night a comment from a family member dogged my every waking moment.  Peace was sadly missing as I dwelt on his statement.  

I think this year, I will focus on practicing joy and peace...What about you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish you peace this new year 2018 Terri. You bring me much joy. Your sharing is so helpful reminding me often that we are not in this world all alone but with many women on the same walk.

terricheney said...

Julie Baker, Thank you so much!