The Second Week of December Looks Like This

This week Christmas looks like this:


The tree has not fallen over again.  My obsessive need to rearrange ornaments and fill in that spot right there seems to be quieted at last.  Third time decorating, apparently, is the charm.  It leaves room for gazing at the glowing tree in the early mornings and at night.  I contemplate leaving it up longer, past January 1, but I won't.  I want to enjoy the seasonality of it, anticipate it again next year, savor it because I know it's not lasting.

Thanks to a comment by Brenda at Coffee, Tea, Books and Me, I remembered I have an Amazon Prime membership, and unlimited data and hey there's free music to listen to.  I sat here one cold evening all bundled up cozy and warm and gazed at the Christmas tree lights.  Per her recommendations I listened to On A Cold Winter Day.  The lovely old English traditional songs suited the dark room and glowing tree and the snug cocoon I'd made myself.  I enjoyed it so much I repeated one dark morning with a cup of coffee before John came in from work.   Some things are truly worth repeating.


John surprised me with tickets to the ballet.  It was held at The Grand Opera House in Macon...I love that they call it "The Grand Opera House"!   It has the sort of history that makes my blood pump hotter.  Built in 1884  as The Academy of Music it boasted what was then 'the largest stage in the Southeast.  It underwent renovations in 1904 and was renamed The Grand Opera House.  The stage saw all sorts of performers from minstrel to vaudeville and finally became a movie theater for some 20 years.  It came very near being demolished and turned into a parking lot but thankfully some good souls gathered to preserve it and it's history.

I looked around at the occupants of the upper balcony and the lower area and saw many a cell phone screen shining in the half darkness before the show.   I turned to the woman seated next to me and mused "What do you suppose the original audience of this place would think to see us sitting here some 120 years later with all these glowing things in our hands?"   She looked as bemused as I felt.  We had to put away our phones before the production began.

Of course, we saw The Nutcracker.   What else could it be in this season of the year?

John and I watched the cutest little girls who sat in the row in front of us.  We figure they must have been four or five and were taking ballet lessons already (I overheard one of their moms say).   One little girl showed promise already.  Perhaps one day I shall see her in a production of The Nutcracker.

John asked me on the way home how I'd liked it.  I couldn't have told him while I was watching because my eyes kept welling up with tears.  I think my most favorite of all is The Dance of the Snow Queen.  I can't help but cry as it's all breathtakingly beautiful.


Pay no attention to that silly man in the middle.  He's a local weatherman and put in a guest appearance as Mother Ginger in one of the performances.  Aren't those tiaras awesome?

I remember watching The Nutcracker on television at Granny's and plump little six year old that I was, I was convinced I could dance as those lovely ballerinas did.  Alas for never ending plumpness, weak ankles and lack of funds for dance lessons, lol.

Cookies were baked.  The Candy Jar was filled.   Magic Cookie Bars, Thumbprints, Sugar Cookies, Chocolate Chip cookies, Haystacks, Stove Top Cookies.  Hershey Kisses and Dove Promises and Peppermint Bark Chocolates.  All the requested ones that have stood the test of time over the year



Packages were mailed off to loved ones with sweet surprises inside.



Presents were wrapped and piled under the tree.


I watched "The Polar Express".  I'm pretty sure such an experience would have left me far more traumatized over Santa! 



The first candles of Channukah were lit .



I was busy, often from sun up until sundown.  I am very aware that after this week the holiday is over for us as far as all the busyness goes so I'm enjoying it all, every hectic moment of it.    Jingle Bells, Ho Ho Ho, as Josh sings it...

8 comments:

Delorise said...

Who was the weatherman?? Couldn't tell from the picture- was it Ben? He is just the best weatherman. Glad you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

I am older than santa and have never seen the Nutcracker. Can you believe that? What a lovely old theatre. Sounds like you had a dream date with your hubby. One of those memories to tuck away and pull out of your mind and enjoy over again on dark dreary winter days. I sent you a little something to enjoy while sitting in that comfortable chair by that tree. Probably arrive Tuesday unless your mail comes very late Monday. Not new, but thought of you.Gramma D

terricheney said...

Delorise, It was Ben Jones...There are pictures of him on Instagram and facebook at Nutcracker of Middle Georgia.

Dorie, You've enough pep in your step yet to go see the Nutcracker. It's a good 'once in a lifetime' event to attend. And thank you for thinking of me. I'll look forward to the mail!

Debbie said...

I have always wanted to go to a live performance of the Nutcracker. It is on my bucket list. I am so happy that your hubby surprised you with tickets to see it. :)

Tammy said...

A year ago I saw the Nutcracker ballet in Omaha for the first time. I'd seen snippets of the story here and there over the years, but never the entire show. It was lovely.

Your Grand Opera House reminds me of the Orpheum theaters in Omaha and Sioux City. Rather elegant and fancy. The theater where I work used to be a playhouse and apparently had red velvet curtains and lush carpet. We do have a cupola and the lobby has some small windowed balconies. It's kind of fun (and a little bit creepy to be there alone after dark...)

Our tree is finally up and decorated. I can't help but smile when I turn on the lights in the dark early mornings. I'm going to check out the music you mentioned on Prime.


Anonymous said...

We have several theatres in town and every year there are performances of the Nutcracker by very young performers to adult performers. With 2 daughters you would have thought I would gone sometime, This area has a number of venues for theatre from our community college to a new national comedy center that is being built to several community theatres. We seem to be a tourist destination for some reason. A lot of goid golf courses and a nice lake with several dood size ski resorts for winter entertainment. they have really made a big deal over being Lucys hometown. We have a museum that houses a lot of memorabilia, both personal and from her shows. She never forgot where she came from. Gramma D

Anonymous said...

I am not as bad a speller as it looks in the above post. I need to proofread. I am sure I hit the right letters and something else shows up when I hit send. That's my story and I am sticking to it! Gramma D

terricheney said...

Dorie, I text my kids and then see the message after and it's gibberish. I didn't type gibberish but that silly auto correct converted it to gibberish. On the other hand sometimes if I'm being motherly or upset, a bad word slips into my text and auto correct always corrects those to something very nice and mild and so there is a blessing in that, lol.

Tammy I smiled thinking of you sitting in the dark with the tree lights. I hope you enjoy that music. It does give a nice feeling to the atmosphere.

Debbie, I cannot recommend highly enough seeing a production. Our Middle Georgia has some pro ballet dancers and lots of students. LOTS of students from the local areas. Still costumes are so beautifully done and the score for the entire ballet is purely magical. Our tickets were about $27 each which is about what they were three years ago as well. Not much more than a nice dinner out really.