This Week In My Home: Jingle Bells, Ho Ho Ho!

This week in my home:


....I have been busy and behind all at the same time.  Anybody else feel the same?  At this moment it is just after Shabat and here I am finishing up this post and trying to write a few words while we wait on supper which is about to come out of the oven at any moment.   There are more things I didn't do these past two days than things I did.  "Tis the season!

On top of all that, after lots of time and prayer and thinking, I decided to become a consultant with Jamberry.  I still haven't finished up that paperwork either but it will happen shortly.  I'm supposed to have a launch party, but I've decided that can wait until January when things calm down a bit.

Well, now to finish up this post and get dinner on the table.  Short and sweet tonight aren't I?



....I worked:

I organized my Jamberry nail wraps so that I could more easily find the color waves I wanted to use.

I started a list of jobs to be done.  I may accomplish some of them this month.   The list will serve me well next month when I'm ready to begin my deeper cleaning.

 I did all the routine housework.

Decorated the tree...then decorated the tree when we moved it and all the ornaments hit the floor.  Also did some decorating about the house, which included making a few things and doing some painting on objects, etc.

Went grocery shopping and put them all away.

Went Christmas shopping.  Now all I need to purchase is a hostess gift and some buns and chips for next weekend.

Spent a long day in the kitchen on Friday.   I'll share all I did in the money saving portion.

....I made meals:
Roast Beef with root vegetables, English peas, Sour Dough Bread, Lemon Cake

we ate out....again

on my own

Baked Chicken Breasts, Butter beans, Potato Salad, Lemon Cake (1/12 slices)

Soup and Crackers

out on my own

Chicken Parmigiana, Pasta, Salad


....I saved money:
I bought a small loaf of sour dough bread for Shabat.  I sliced it up afterwards and put it on the table for meals to make sure we ate it all.  We had a few slices left so I put them right into the freezer.  They will make lovely croutons later on.

I saved a serving of roast beef and vegetables for my dinner on Monday.  I saved the majority of the broth to add to soup from the freezer.  

Gave myself a pedicure.  Gave myself a fresh Jamberry manicure

I wanted sweet rolls this weekend at the grocery.  I picked up a packet of two pieces, but I discovered whole coffee cakes were buy one get one free.  That was a much better deal, as it gives us four meals of two servings each.  I froze the excess to save for future meals.

Sorting through magazines I pulled coupons and a free perfume sample that was attached to a page.

John and I went to Lowe's.  We'd meant to combine our after church time with the trip to Lowe's but John realized as we came out of church that he'd left his wallet at home.  At his request I drove us back to the house and he picked up his wallet and we began again, lol.  Better than a ticket for driving without a license!

John suggested since he'd forgotten his wallet that he'd buy me lunch out.  I ordered an entrée that wasn't pricey but good heavens!  It was a LOT of food despite the two of us eating from my plates.  Yes plates as in there were two plates of food just for my entrée alone.  We brought home leftovers for dinner the next day and a generous dinner at that.

At Lowe's we picked up three items, only one of which wasn't on our list but it was a cost effective thing.  I found a resin half whiskey barrel to use as a container for the tree but had my heart set on silver/galvanized tin.  So I bought spray paint which was the unplanned item.  I needed only 1/2 a can to paint the barrel and so I spray painted a twig wreath to use as my wreath on one of the entry doors.

John walked to the grocery from the restaurant and bought a Sunday paper.  We were stunned that it had DOUBLED in price in the three weeks we haven't gotten one.  Fortunately there were coupons in it but I think he's about to be over his Crossword addiction now that it's $3.

Went to run errands Monday after John had texted that he'd deposited the pay check.  I went into the dollar store and bought candy to go into each child's (grown ones and toddlers alike) gift.  Because I am giving cash to the older of the grandchildren I have bought them each a coloring book and a box of crayons.   They will have something to open and have their cash money to spend as they choose.

Other purchases at the dollar store included 1 liter bottles of soda for $1, compare to 20 oz bottles for $1.89.   Money folders for the gifts and those were half priced.   Pretty napkins for the family party in two weeks.

This table shall be much more economical than my Thanksgiving tables.  For one thing, I have a stash of white foam plates that were given to us when we were hosting Hurricane Irma refugees.   I also have plenty of red Solo cups.  My napkins are red and white and from the Dollar store.  I'm coordinated and don't even have to go to the party shop for it!  I have an aqua and white sheet I plan to use as a table covering for the adult table.   This all fits my planned theme this year rather nicely.

I put down many and many items in the dollar store.  So much temptation but really it isn't needed or necessary and I'm not trying to impress anyone.  I do have two more Christmas gifts and one hostess gift to get before I call myself done but I wasn't finding those things at the dollar store today.

I washed sheets and towels and hung on the line to dry.

I planned a dining table scheme that used Christmas items I had on hand.

Cone trees were all the thing at Hobby Lobby displays this year and they were rather gorgeous.  And pricey.  And pricey every place else I looked at them as well.  For a tree about 24 inches tall we're talking along about $30.  And just one won't cut it.  They look best en masse or at least I think so.  I decided back when I was looking that I could make them and as I've looked at them elsewhere and they cost pretty much the same it seemed best to just go on and diy them.   This evening I made three smaller cone trees about 1 ft tall, covered in moss and silvery twine and silver sequin chains.   The cost of my three come in at around $12 and one bad blister from hot glue gun.  I'd like to do three more but need to get more materials to work with.  I'd like some taller and some shorter than my current ones, so poster board, more sheet moss, more silvery stuff to make them look prettily decorated.

The day we shopped for groceries we saved quite a bit of money.  I didn't buy pantry items just needed items for stocking the fridge, but I did get a dozen cans of green beans which were on sale for 5c less per can.  I skipped buying candy at Aldi, since I knew the prices to be the same as at the drug and grocery stores I'd visited.  So glad I did!  The next grocery we went into had the candy buy one get one free.  I bought four bags.

Picked up a really nice New York Strip roast for mine and John's holiday meal which will be eaten after Christmas since he must work the day of.   It was on sale at quite a good price.  There were supposed to be roasts on sale at Aldi but not one to be found.  As John told me later, it's better to have one than hope we'll find one at Aldi just because they are on sale.

Picked up one last Christmas gift box item for the adult children.  I'm done with all but one and that will be tended to tomorrow.  While out again I mean to go by Kroger and get my free items and purchase some gift cards that are well priced.  Basically they are waving the activation fee which is a good savings.

John and I went into Hobby Lobby to pick up materials to make more cone trees.  I found the actual trees were on sale at such a good price (half off) that I couldn't buy material for a better value, so I purchase four trees   This completed my mantel.  We also bought a few items that were not on sale and the clerk asked if we had a coupon.  Well, no...but she then asked about my having a smart phone.  I used the coupon on my purchase and then John used the same coupon on his purchase.  I joked with him on the way out of the door that finally the smart phones were starting to pay for themselves.  We saved $20 today.   That's a long way from paying for our phones but a nice leap forward on them.

I still did not find Christmas greenery that wowed me.  Well I did, but even at 50% off it sort of made me feel ill at the high cost...So I got none.   I looked at the pine and cedar on the place when we came home and I'm thinking I just need to go out and cut a few branches and stick in water...

Went Christmas shopping and bought what was on my list.  While in the store I was very good and didn't put too much extra in my buggy.  The 'extras' were on my list, just weren't Christmas related.  Some were items I can only stock up on at that particular store.

We needed printer ink.  Our printer has balked and refused to print anything black and white.  The color we are out of is yellow.  Why can't we print in black ink without yellow?  No clue.  It's a great printer and seldom gives us any trouble.  This must be it's quirk.  I can buy yellow ink cartridges online...and get them next week.  We needed to print now.  So I had to buy a full quad of ink because the store doesn't sell just yellow for our printer. After looking online at prices and determining I can save somewhere near $12 purchasing online, I bought at the store and noted that I'll go on and order a back up set online and an extra yellow cartridge to make up for the one we must use from the current quad pack.  Urgency demanded the higher price this time.  Not a savings but a good lesson in finding savings in a more timely way.

Ate dinner out today, bought from my allowance.

Picked up all the free and special sales items at Kroger.  I save $16 and paid $6 for a bag full of items.   I also picked up gift cards while in the store.  I had coupons that saved me two activation fees on two different value cards.

Had a big kitchen day on Friday (today).   Baked two banana poundcakes using over ripe bananas.  Made a batch of Scotch Haystacks for Christmas cookies.  Baked three loaves of Challah for Shabat.  Cooked the turkey carcass and stripped it when cool.  We'll have some in soup and I put up nearly six cups of meat in the freezer.  That was two legs, two wings and the carcass meat.   I set aside skin and gristle for Maddie and the cat.

Rigged up a sweet little cat shelter for my kitty.  I had saved some bubble wrap from packing because I'd read it made great insulation under animal beddings.   I put a big sheet under Maddie's big bed on the back porch and some under the cat's towel in her makeshift house, then formed a flap over her cat house door so that she can stay warm inside if she chooses.  I also fixed the curtain on the front of Maddie's dog house.  It's been thundering despite the cold air and I'm pretty sure she went in there so I know she'll be nice and warm.

John brought home chicken from the EMS dinner last night.  I'm reheating for tonight's supper after Shabat.

...I had time for leisure:


I went through all my November magazines on Saturday.

I had the opportunity to watch an episode of Hazel.  I so enjoyed that.

I spent one evening playing computer games and another hour one morning trying to solve a Sudoku puzzle.

Watched a Disney Christmas Carol with Jim Carey.  It was...different.  But it did put me in the holiday mood.

...I lived well:
Watched sunrise and sunsets and even got a glimpse of the lovely full moon.

Read my morning Bible studies and Advent book.

Watched deer walk across the yard one morning.

Enjoyed sheltering inside and watching the windows steam as I worked in the kitchen.  I don't know why but there's something very comforting being indoors baking and making broth and watching the windows steam up and knowing I'm nice and warm and well fed.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I hope you will share a picture of your cone trees. I would love to see them. I can definitely empathize with being very busy but still behind. I am looking forward to the quieter days of January.

terricheney said...

Dawn they are the moss covered trees with the Nutcrackers in the "The First Week of December Looks Like This"