Christmas Time Is Near: Fourth Week of Advent, Day 22

This week's theme is Peace.

Isaiah 9:6  For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And he will be called  Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

The title of today's reading was Peace is a Person.

Peace, like joy, tends to be rather tenuous thing.  It's something we all long for but do we ever really have it?  And when we do, don't we feel it's fleeting, here now but soon to be gone?



Yet today's reading reminds us that Jesus is our peace.  Jesus, the very man himself, is peace.  That means that peace is a person.

While standing in church today I thought what a difference looking at peace as Christ would mean.  What if I looked at Christ first?  What if I stopped looking right at my problem and looked to Christ instead?  What if I couldn't even see the problem as the big horrible thing it appeared because Christ in my sight blocked out the worry and fear?

ME ----> CHRIST ----> problem

3 comments:

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family! I have saved this thought that you shared ... it really got my attention and it’s a very meaningful visualization:

“What if I stopped looking right at my problem and looked to Christ instead? What if I couldn't even see the problem as the big horrible thing it appeared because Christ in my sight blocked out the worry and fear?”

Thank you for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Hope you and yours had a joyous Christmas. During a recent cold snap(well cooler weather here in Central Florida) DH and I took a walk around a neighborhood near our home. A young mother was outside her house speaking with another woman. She had her baby in a warm sweater and also had swaddled him in a blanket. I stopped short and thought to myself that this looked like a scene with the Blessed Mother and her Son. My jaded old lady heart skipped a beat and I thanked God for all His miracles. Your Advent articles have filled me with the same warmth I felt when I witnessed that little domestic scene. A reminder for me to keep my head up and my heart open.


Best wishes from Best Bun.

terricheney said...

Best Bun, isn't it funny how a little thing like that can bring our faith into sharp focus?

Carolyn, God gets full credit for that statement about focusing on Christ instead of my worries. I was just the receiver and relay station!