Christmas Time Is Near: Advent Day 12

Ephesians 3:17-19And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses understanding---that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

I think sometimes, I tend to take God for granted.  I mean that in a nice way, in the same way that I take John for granted.  I trust so fully in his love that I often wrap it about me like a cloak and just go through my days without really thinking about it, because it has become such a part of who I am.  I do the same with God.  I wrap His presence about me and walk through my days, assured that He is who He says He is, that I forget sometimes to take time to appreciate Him.

One night, some
time ago, I had been reading in bed, as John slept beside me.  As I started to turn out the light, my glance fell upon a photo of John and I together that I kept by my bed.  I thought of how often in my unhappy years, I'd imagined what a good marriage would look like and feel like and how I'd feel within it.  I realized then that I'd been given the opportunity for a second chance in meeting John after being on my own for a few years.  I started to pray, telling God why I was so grateful for John and then for all the other things He'd brought about in my life.  As tears streamed down my face, my prayers increased in fervency, I felt and heard "I love it when you praise Me."  

I was immediately humbled and awed.  I often do think to tell John thank you for the most mundane things: folding laundry, opening a car door, asking me if I have a book to read when I am going along to wait upon him.   I seldom think to thank God for mundane things or normal daily things, like a loving relationship with a good man.

Gratitude is the very least that God deserves from me.  For the big things, like salvation and loving me enough to call me His own child.  For the little things, like seeing a blue bird or watching the grandchildren play or a lovely quiet moment before the Christmas tree in a day that promises chaos.

Lord, I'm Amazed by You

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Love this! TThanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love.
xox

Thrifty Thursday: Try Harder